• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

fasteddie

Down the hill with speed pls! Love Italian Beefs!
Skier
My Great Joys are 98 mm wide. I think I'd want something a little softer than the Brahmas for bumps and tight spots. As far as width, I'm thinking between 80-90 mm, because I'd still want an all-mountain ski. Just a narrower one.
Blizzard beam as!!!

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's the 163cm pair?
No, those are the 177s. They're old (around 2001), but from when my daughter was little so I didn't ski as much. I think they'd still be usable. Not good crud busters, but good on hard pack.
The 163s (actually 162) are 84 wide, bought used (demos) in 2012. They are good crud busters and good on hard pack, but they're super heavy and I hate carrying them.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
No, those are the 177s. They're old (around 2001), but from when my daughter was little so I didn't ski as much. I think they'd still be usable. Not good crud busters, but good on hard pack.
The 163s (actually 162) are 84 wide, bought used (demos) in 2012. They are good crud busters and good on hard pack, but they're super heavy and I hate carrying them.

Those Volkls sound like a Volkl G30 or something...I think you'll be amazed at how much extra steering at the start of the turn those skis take in comparison to today's.

What bindings are on the 2012? I would be willing to bet that a good portion of the apparent weight comes not from the ski but from the binding.

It doesn't really matter at this point, I suppose

Last edited:
TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Those Volkls sound like a Volkl G30 or something...I think you'll be amazed at how much extra steering at the start of the turn those skis take in comparison to today's.

What bindings are on the 2012? I would be willing to bet that a good portion of the apparent weight comes not from the ski but from the binding.

It doesn't really matter at this point, I suppose

It doesn't really matter, but I'm laid up recovering from foot surgery, so why not talk skis?

The 177 skis (my oldest) are Rossignol Saltos. They weren't hard to turn on hard pack, but it would be interesting to try them again. I started demoing other skis when I was on a ski trip in the spring (2012) and it snowed the whole time. Those skis were too much work in the heavy snow.

The 162s have Nordica Pro 2S Xt bindings. The skis are the Nordica Olympia Conquers. They are great crud busters and work well on hard pack, but they're so heavy. The binding is big part of it, but I think the skis are also heavy. Maybe I'll use them at the start of the season. It would be kind of fun to take all of these skis out on the same day.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The 162s have Nordica Pro 2S Xt bindings. The skis are the Nordica Olympia Conquers. They are great crud busters and work well on hard pack, but they're so heavy. The binding is big part of it, but I think the skis are also heavy. Maybe I'll use them at the start of the season. It would be kind of fun to take all of these skis out on the same day.

Sure, I remember those. They were the womens' version of the Hot Rod/Top Fuel series and a fun loose snow all-rounder, even somewhat capable in bumps. I threw away a pair of the HRTF this season - the bindings were nothing any friend of the skier would wish, the topsheet and the bases were delaminating.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just an update on the Armada Victa 87Ti. I've had four days on them now. Two days were soft snow groomer days, one day was manmade snow hard pack icy (Backside at Northstar) and one day 6" of fresh snow/chop. The skis were fine on the hard pack, not super grippy, but I did have them detuned. When I saw the snow conditions today (fresh snow) my initial thought was that I wished I had my wider Great Joys. But the Armadas were great. They blasted through the chop, didn't get caught up in the moguls and were just fun. I've also had a chance to charge on them a bit, and they are fun for that too. Thanks to everyone who recommended these.

Sponsor

Staff online