• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

My Personal Ski Tips as an Infrequent Skier

TS
Tominator

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
OP here.

Great food for thought here, and I appeciate the constructive nature of the comments.

The key for me is to limit the number and complexity of the thoughts, so old muscle memory kicks back in.

Bobby Jones was once asked what he thought about before hitting a golf ball. His reply: "I think about the last thing that worked."

TS
Tominator

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
After 2 days at Smuggs (alas, only days 5 and 6 for this season so far):

Old tips:
1. Bend at the ankles
2. Upper body facing downhill
3. Hip angulation

New tips:
1. Bend at the ankles
3. Upper body upright (with the pelvis tipped forward - thanks, AmyPJ!) - if you keep your upper body perpendicular to the hill, you have to angulate but you don't have to think about it.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
After 2 days at Smuggs (alas, only days 5 and 6 for this season so far):

Old tips:
1. Bend at the ankles
3. Hip angulation

New tips:
1. Bend at the ankles
3. Upper body upright (with the pelvis tipped forward - thanks, AmyPJ!) - if you keep your upper body perpendicular to the hill, you have to angulate but you don't have to think about it.

Yaay, glad it was a good reminder! I've got the first two down pat, it's that extra pelvic tilt that finishes it all off for me. So funny, the minor changes in stance and movement that can have such a profound impact.

bud heishman

Skiing performance facilitator
Instructor
Sky Tavern
All the posts so far in this thread have been about technique. I would like to offer one that will immensely help with balance on the sagittal or fore/aft plane. How you buckle your boots and route your power strap can help or hinder your ski control and balance. Aside from a correctly sized ski boot, tighten your power strap before latching the top two buckles and insure the power strap D ring is tucked beneath the plastic cuff and the strap is very snuggly attached just around the liner, pulling the lower leg firmly back against the rear spine of the boot. Then lap the two upper cuffs over top and buckle snuggly. You have now minimized any gapping or delay between directing impulse to the shovel or tail of the skis. Waving a stick in a cave is not good for controlling your skis.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
After dear Ursula in Big Sky informed me that I had chicken arms (tight against my body like a chicken at the grocery store), my goal is to feel wind under my armpits when I ski.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
All the posts so far in this thread have been about technique. I would like to offer one that will immensely help with balance on the sagittal or fore/aft plane. How you buckle your boots and route your power strap can help or hinder your ski control and balance. Aside from a correctly sized ski boot, tighten your power strap before latching the top two buckles and insure the power strap D ring is tucked beneath the plastic cuff and the strap is very snuggly attached just around the liner, pulling the lower leg firmly back against the rear spine of the boot. Then lap the two upper cuffs over top and buckle snuggly. You have now minimized any gapping or delay between directing impulse to the shovel or tail of the skis. Waving a stick in a cave is not good for controlling your skis.

Nice, Bud. I'm not sure I followed the description, but I get the idea. Let's go through it when I stop by at your shop :) (BTW, I really meant to go this weekend, but the roads didn't cooperate, and then the circus made it to town)

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My new mantra: Keep your hands where you can see them!
After dear Ursula in Big Sky informed me that I had chicken arms (tight against my body like a chicken at the grocery store), my goal is to feel wind under my armpits when I ski.

Keep your elbows where you can see them.

I say this to some people. Sometimes its seems like saying keeping your hands in front isn't effective enough

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I say this to some people. Sometimes its seems like saying keeping your hands in front isn't effective enough

I would say it's not the right visual. Not for me. I can have my hands in front but still in a pretty terrible position.

I also like the mental image of running up to someone for a big bear hug. That open position before you close in on them.

In other words, forward and open is better than just forward.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Ski from the feet up.

Outside elbow down.

Breath, flow...like an octopus moving across a rocky bottom.

Scan down the hill as you're skiing, not across. It's all about the future.

Keep a level head and your head level.

Cuff contact is your friend, especially in flat light.

Disciplined upper body, yes. Still upper body, no.

Tuned skis matter.

Round spine, round turns.

Don't go up to get down.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In the same boat as you. As the muscle memory is there, just very rusty, my secret is 360 drills as the freshen up the muscle memory because in a very simple quick fashion go through almost all motions and senses.

The timing and reaction come back very quick at the beginning of the day allowing more time for advancement and improvement during the rest before getting tired.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Never forget to "Dance":daffy: I remember some rad dudes w/ dreads on a chair w/ me when I was struggling to learn waist deep pow. I was explaining how hard and physically taxing it was. One whipped out a "J" and said to me ........... you a "Brotha, just Bounce! "........ so I "Bounced"......... OMG I never looked back! It totally worked!

Last edited:

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've just had two beginning students in two days who were collapsing into the front of their boots because the cuffs weren't buckled snugly. This can make it very difficult for a student to maintain a functional stance. Was easily solved with proper boot adjustment. Instructors need to be aware of how profoundly boot and other gear issues can affect performance. It can be hard to make the time to devote to these issues during a lesson, but who else is going to do it? It's pretty tough for a student to make progress when struggling with a big equipment handicap. Ski schools would do well to focus more on this subject.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Good schools are very aware of this.

Sponsor