• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Witnessed this today at a thankfully empty mountain. Two people standing in front of the entrance to the singles line. OK, squeeze by. One person standing directly in front of the RFID scanner, waiting for friends. Ok, I move to the side and go through the scanner. Go through the scanners and there are three people standing there not doing anything. FFS PEOPLE!

This came after I told some kids in the parking lot not to blast their shitty music because no one wanted to hear it (they shot back with 'yeah well your music is shitty' to which I replied 'thats why I'm not blasting it so other people have to hear it!').

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This came after I told some kids in the parking lot not to blast their shitty music because no one wanted to hear it (they shot back with 'yeah well your music is shitty' to which I replied 'thats why I'm not blasting it so other people have to hear it!').

In the T-Bar line yesterday, I loudly commented to the person in line with me that it was SO nice of people to share their music with us (some dillhole had one of those external speaker things - whyyyyy?).

So at least you were aggressive-aggressive instead of passive aggressive?

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
He he.... one of the few advantages of getting lots of calendars is that skiing time is rarely restricted by queuing time. Too often these days I find myself thinking "Oh no, there's no queue! No chance to rest..."

Ok. On powder mornings the Type A personality re-asserts. Is it that hard to work an RF pass? Fill the chairs, people.

But heck, lift queue chaos is a 1st world problem.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
In the T-Bar line yesterday, I loudly commented to the person in line with me that it was SO nice of people to share their music with us (some dillhole had one of those external speaker things - whyyyyy?).

So at least you were aggressive-aggressive instead of passive aggressive?

Yeah, I'm usually the type to just grumble passive aggressively, but i'm so tired of people being inconsiderate that i just finally couldn't hold it in any longer. They didn't even key my car in response, so that was nice.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
So I have to ask if snowboarders have a God-given-right to their own T-bar. They seem to think so at Copper. :rolleyes:

Relatively few snowboarders want to deal with the T-bar ... but yeah, they frequently go up alone. Are you going to ride with them? I don't want to.

Although I did once ride up with a snowboarder who made it easy as pie. In retrospect, he MUST have been a pro. Most of them make such a hash out of it, even alone or with one of their own.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Relatively few snowboarders want to deal with the T-bar ... but yeah, they frequently go up alone. Are you going to ride with them? I don't want to.

Although I did once ride up with a snowboarder who made it easy as pie. In retrospect, he MUST have been a pro. Most of them make such a hash out of it, even alone or with one of their own.

As a reformed snowboarder the T-Bar sucks in the beginning. But once your used to it, it’s not that bad. At certain resorts the T-Bar can yield you the least tracked conditions. I think it was Powder mtn that used to have a J-Bar that had this nice section of lightly tracked, sparky tree’d terrain.

Another topic:
Is anyone getting sick of the smell of weed on the lift? I’m trying to figure out how to explain the scent to my toddlers this year when I bring them on the lower lift this winter?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
As a reformed snowboarder the T-Bar sucks in the beginning. But once your used to it, it’s not that bad. At certain resorts the T-Bar can yield you the least tracked conditions. I think it was Powder mtn that used to have a J-Bar that had this nice section of lightly tracked, sparky tree’d terrain.

They also get on my nerves because in the Breck situation in particular, snowboarders tend to "oops! I fell off" right where there's a cut through to a gladed area, when you're SUPPOSED to ride all the way up and then come across the cut from the other side. Weirdly, I only see boarders do this, not skiers. It's disruptive and annoying. I even had a friend telling me that his snowboard instructor suggested this :ogcool:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
An alternative to this problem is to to places with crowds like this.
20171208_103847.jpg
go

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
An alternative to this problem is to to places with crowds like this. View attachment 60945 go
Or be first in line. Honestly, on uncrowded days I will let a group of two or three have a chair to themselves if no one or very few someones are behind me. They can move up and ride with me or grab the next chair. However, when it's hopping an empty seat is a bad thing. Luckily it's not hopping very often where and when I ski.
20181210_085300.jpg

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
If it's that busy and the scanners aren't keeping the line organized and moving it's bound to become chaotic.

Or what Europeans call normal.

I still find it funny to see people organizing lift lines. I'm used to the general chaos of European lift crowds (can't really call them lines).

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
@tball @Monique @EBG18T at whistler / backcomb in the summer a t-bar is the only option and its shared for most of the day between racers (mostly young skiers) and freestyle camps (mostly teenage boy snowboarders), with a few members of the public having to join in & deal with the chaos. After 8am the lines can get long so there is no riding solo, and the t-bar can become somewhat hard to ride because the track gets rutted in the sun and super bumpy etc. The boarders seem to do just fine riding together or with skiers, they figure it out right away if they've never done it before ... the pressure is high to load the t bar correctly and not slow down the line (everyone in the line is staring at you, not a great situation if you mess up and you are say 6 years old) and then to not fly off and send your partner flying. Only point being, it's definitely possible to ride with someone else if you're on a snowboard!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Pet lift line peeve? Potty mouthed bros around kids. Not Cool. I will and do tell them politely to sort their vocabulary. Thankfully it's almost always met with an apology and compliance.

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
In MN we have this super passive aggressive thing in the lift lines where everyone is scared of pushing forward and coming across as rude so it's this giant immovable cluster.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier

I still find it funny to see people organizing lift lines. I'm used to the general chaos of European lift crowds (can't really call them lines).

Uh, yep. It's every man/woman/child for himself over here. If you don't shuffle/shove/worm/wiggle your way forward, you'll never get on the lift. Singles line? Qu'est que c'est que ca? Ca n'existe pas...

As for the whole group thing --- just as bad, maybe worse. Love it when 6 people move to pole position, then four don't board because they don't want to ride with strangers...when I"m skiing solo I make it a point to fill the last seat just to freak people out. I'll slip into a group with a hearty "bonjour a tous!"

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
People can usually count to 4. Sometimes they can count to 6, but I think they're going to lose their minds counting to 8.
Ramcharger 8 opens at BigSky

Didn't realize that was the first in NA. I love an 8 person lift, though the pic of riding that without the safety bar down makes me queasy. the one in Europe have an automatic bar that drops whether you want it to or not. it locks in place, and only opens when you're inside the top tower with a flat landing...

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
In MN we have this super passive aggressive thing in the lift lines where everyone is scared of pushing forward and coming across as rude so it's this giant immovable cluster.

We call that 'Seattle traffic'. As we say out here, " there's a wrong way, a right way, and a Norway."

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

And this is still one of the reasons I'm not psyched on skiing in Europe. It would drive me nuts.

Sponsor

Staff online