• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
SSSdave

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Stop yelling at me!!!

Seriously, lift line mazes can be annoying when people aren't paying attention, but sheesh, another pet peeve of mine is when members create a post that feels like they're yelling at me.

Tricia, as I wrote " Many lifts of course already have signs with safety loading notes. Something as simple as the below would help:"

That text centered in bold was my limited way of indicating a possible sign next to lifts, not at all meant to indicate yelling. Note I'm not the emotional type in face to face conversation nor especially on web boards so am with you on that behavior.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
after the Sunday storm?
Will there be a Sunday storm??:huh::daffy:I sure hope so!

As far as lift lines and traffic, I try to just chill about it. It's only a few minutes out of my life. I can get annoyed with the clueless people in the lift lines, but I try to avoid skiing on days the lines will be that way. The most fun days are mid-week powder days when everybody else is either working or got stuck because of road closures. I had a few days like that at Squaw last year; very friendly, happy vibe. The only people skiing were people staying or living locally, and everyone was having fun.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tricia, as I wrote " Many lifts of course already have signs with safety loading notes. Something as simple as the below would help:"

That text centered in bold was my limited way of indicating a sign not at all meant to indicate yelling. Note I'm not the emotional type conversationally especially on web boards so am with you on that behavior.
And you're still yelling at me. :nono:

mcpowell

I want to be good
Skier
You know what annoys me? Groups that use the singles line in an attempt to get ahead of folks who are courteously standing in line. The "I am more important than you" attitude is killing society. Stop it.

I respectfully disagree. If everyone was a group of 3, all quads would work at 75% efficiency. So those who are willing to break into singles maximize the seats on the lift. I see lift lines as an example of liquid flow I.e. liquids will find the fastest way to travel, naturally.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My pet peeve is 4 snowboarders line up for the 4-person lift and at the last minute two drop behind.

What we need for the lifts is a traffic person who directs traffic into the gates at the lift loading area. Many resorts have that person and it works well. Some resorts don't want to have to pay that extra wage.

@SSSdave good job starting this thread, I have witnessed clueless skiers/boarders just stand there when they should be getting into groups of four or six. Having been in victim of an unloading accident getting off a quad chair when a boarder knocked over a friend sitting next to me on the chair and the friend falling on top of me causing my goggles to cut me on the bridge of my nose. Just a thought should boarders only be matched up with other boarders and skiers be matched with other skiers?

I am confused by this. Today was #17 on the mountain for me this season and I haven’t experienced what either of you are talking about with snowboarders. :ogcool:
#skialta
Heading up alone weekdays I was surprised not to ride alone all day on Thursday and Friday. 2 of those I rode with were as happy as I was to sit quietly either listening to music or in my case, not being able to hear (I have earbuds occasionally) with a beanie and helmet on. I am still chatty even when I’m not always hearing the conversation and my head nodding seems to work (at least for me)

Today was the busiest I’ve seen this season with the longest line of 4 rows being 3 deep so mrsjmills and I rode with singles and other groups of 2 with her filling me in the things I may have missed.
Seriously my hearing isn’t that bad and hope that everyone pushes to fill the chairs not only to be more efficient, but being willing to take the time to listen to the person sitting next to you. I have connected with people on a 5 minute ride and got off the lift feeling better about life from the positive conversations I’ve had.
Today we rode 2 seperate chairs with retired people living in warm climates that winter in Utah to ski. We rode 2 chairs with an older couple from the Cayman Islands in Utah on day 10 of a 12 day trip to learn the husband traveled back home on Wednesday for a business meeting and was back in time to spend Thursday on the mountain and upset he missed the storm on Wednesday that dropped 11”.
The best ride of the day was our second chair after seeing that Albion was open and knowing it only spun 3-4 times last season and riding it once 2 years ago. Riding it while learning to ski in the 70s had me more excited thinking about riding it than I possibly should have been. When I told mrsjmills I’d meet her at the bottom to catch Albion and would ride alone if they were going to close before she got there, she understood and we rode it twice together with today being the first day ever it was her asking to go to the other side of the area with more challenging terrain.
If you don’t like riding with others on a 4 or 5 chair, there might be a fixed double moving slow

AB0F99BB-8EB7-49D1-A40C-3DFE2E99ADD8.jpeg

C388826F-2722-4653-BC0A-F6FC03CE18A4.jpeg

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a couple of teenager Rhodes Scholars stop after passing through the RFID gates and start messing with their phones. If I had to guess they were trying to email something back and forth. After a full minute I politely asked them to move forward. They didn't even look at me. As I heard multiple people behind me starting to complain I raised my voice rather loudly and said get moving! They looked at me like I was a crazy old man but moved forward. The person manning the RFID gate didn't say a thing the whole time.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had a couple of teenager Rhodes Scholars stop after passing through the RFID gates and start messing with their phones. If I had to guess they were trying to email something back and forth. After a full minute I politely asked them to move forward. They didn't even look at me. As I heard multiple people behind me starting to complain I raised my voice rather loudly and said get moving! They looked at me like I was a crazy old man but moved forward. The person manning the RFID gate didn't say a thing the whole time.

In the Alps, I run into a lot of people who go through the scanners and then decide to stop and wait for whoever they're skiing with. I'm not sure how they're not aware just how much of a nuisance this is for everyone else.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
In the Alps, I run into a lot of people who go through the scanners and then decide to stop and wait for whoever they're skiing with. I'm not sure how they're not aware just how much of a nuisance this is for everyone else.
They probably are if that would be someone else doing this infront of them. But as soon as they are problem for other's that's all fine, it doesn't concern them. But yeah, I'm having same issues with that... and with people who are too "afraid" riding lift with total stranger, and they wait for 3 chairs blocking everyone so they can go on the lift with their group only... especially around here, with whole bunch of 6-10 chair lifts, it's pretty damn hard to get "privacy" on the lift. And if you can't survive single lift ride with your wife chair front or back, then don't go skiing, but get yourself a room. :D

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
The true meaning of Gape. GET OUT OF THE WAY! I'm an ass when you are.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
My pet peeve is 4 snowboarders line up for the 4-person lift and at the last minute two drop behind..

I experienced this today for the first time. But it was on a double chair and all 4 had to ride solo. The guy beside me in line was yelling furiously at them, I let him past go in front of me as I didn’t want to listen to him the whole ride up. It was much nicer ride with the ski patrol guy.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We should try to fix the "hug and go" drop off lane at school too. It's very efficient until one car decides they need to park, then chaos breaks out. Lots of messages via multiple channels from the school, but it continues as some folks must have a special people permit.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I respectfully disagree. If everyone was a group of 3, all quads would work at 75% efficiency. So those who are willing to break into singles maximize the seats on the lift. I see lift lines as an example of liquid flow I.e. liquids will find the fastest way to travel, naturally.

I believe the issue being raised wasn't a group of four breaking up and then acting as singles; it was a group of three or four lining up in the singles line, and popping out to fill a chair when they reached the front. It's an assh*** move, to be sure, right up there with the slow load of a gondola cabin to avoid having singles get in with your group.

Attentive corral management prevents such asshattery, as well as the people who get to the front of the singles line and need an engraved invitation to move along (just count feet, people; fewer than eight on a quad, and you're good to go, as long as there aren't any amputees involved).

It seems like ski areas have a tough time staffing corrals to begin with, whether from a budget constraint or difficulty finding people who want a job that boils down to directing traffic in unfriendly weather.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
In fact when lift lines are short, most of we experienced advanced skiers let groups, especially mixed couples ride by themselves considerately giving them a chance to talk with each other privately. Thus on say a quad chair with few groups in a maze, even though I could add to a another double or triple, may ride solo or will load with other singles if they just happen to be arriving at the next load block about the same time since most of we singles tend to be gregarious.

This is new to me. I believe that an empty seat is an affront to all that is holy. At the very least, I do have sort of a "bad luck" superstition about it. I definitely ski up alongside groups all the time, especially on six packs because, as many have noted, humans cannot effectively count to six and line up without help. (I include myself in this observation.)

Then again, I'm also the lift police and start acting as a traffic cop when there's any sort of a wait and people are being idiots. "Hey, there's a group of three ahead - why don't you join them?" I guess I'm kind of aggro that way. I didn't realize how much I do it until a friend pointed it out to me. Then again, she doesn't shoot for nearly as much skiing as I do in a day ...

With intelligently structured lift mazes and lift attendants guiding group combinations, all this can run smoothly with just a few occasional chairs loading at less than capacity.

I wish. See François's post below.

What we need for the lifts is a traffic person who directs traffic into the gates at the lift loading area. Many resorts have that person and it works well. Some resorts don't want to have to pay that extra wage.

I keep saying - Breck, if you're going to insist on installing 6 packs, you gotta pay to keep this shit organized. In fact, I put that on my last feedback form. Hmm ... they haven't emailed me asking for my input since then ;-)

For that matter - I wonder what the feedback process is for employees at lift lines. Is there any? Some lifties are amazing at organizing lines; others don't try. Is that because the former are paid to organize, or because they're just better at their jobs? Does anyone notice?

Similarly, I love our double chairs, but they really smart unless a liftie slows the swing for you. I wonder if there's a supervisor paying attention to these types of details.

I'm guessing not, or that it doesn't matter, because I can't imagine there would be a big pay difference, anyway. My bet is that some people just do a good job whatever the job, and some people just ... don't. And I don't know that I can blame them at that pay scale.

You know what annoys me? Groups that use the singles line in an attempt to get ahead of folks who are courteously standing in line. The "I am more important than you" attitude is killing society. Stop it.

Is that a thing? If I'm skiing with a friend or two, we might get into the singles line, but we then act as independent singles. Three separate chairs (potentially). Sometimes it's faster that way. Not always. You do lose the ability to hang out with your friends.

Maybe you should find a few friends to ski with, then you wouldn't have to get annoyed standing in the singles line.

Rude.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If it's that busy and the scanners aren't keeping the line organized and moving it's bound to become chaotic.

Sponsor

Staff online