• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MatthewAiden

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I live in San Diego, and there aren't many ski shops around. There's REI, but I'm not sure I trust their techs. They've got a great warranty policy, but I'm not sure it would cover skis I bought somewhere else. I need to mount come Candide 2.0 with marker jester 16 ID bindings. I grew up ski racing in the mountains, so I know my way around bindings, I've got the tools (not the jig) and I'm somewhat handy. What do you guys think? Watch a few tutorials, practice on a few 2x4's and go for it? Or wait a weekend and let REI do it?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Practicing on 2x4s won't help you learn to drill at the proper depth or block the bit for depth. If it were me, I'd pay someone else to do brand new skis if I'd never done any myself. I also live a ways away from a real shop. I do all my own mounting and tuning, but they never come out what I'd call perfect. They do come out as good or better than some of the shop complaints I see posted in forums like this every year so there's that. Nobody else in town who has experience and can come over and help you do it your first try, maybe for a couple beers or whatever??

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will say Marker Royals are some of the more finicky bindings to mount. No one is going to say you can't but most will say you shouldn't. Personally I'm not a fan of free mounting bindings, but it is your call.

IceChick

Booting up
Skier
Wait a weekend and let REI do it, mounting without a jig and bit with a blocker is risky at best, and if they mess it up (which for such a common ski/binding combo is unlikely) likely they'll offer options to fix the situation, if you mess it up, well...s.o.l.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You posted this in "new to skiing", if you truly are new to skiing, then this is a simple "no"
If you aren't new to skiing then the proper answer is explained above pretty well.
Taking it to someone who has the jig is pretty smart.

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not sure that I'd worry too much about REI. I had the same concerns with a pair of skis/bindings that I bought for my teenager. I took them in to our local REI and asked about getting them mounted. The tech said, "Hang on, let me make sure that I have the template for those bindings." I have no idea what he was talking about, but the mounting turned out fine.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Let REI do it, even if you don't trust them. More than likely they have at least mounted more bindings than you and personally I would not mount my own skis without a jig or proper bits. Plus if they mess up for any reason then the responsibility is on them and not you.

Reactions: Ogg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
It comes down to how good you are with tools. If you are GOOD with tools you may be successful and I am told you can print drilling template's off the web for many bindings, you will have to find yours and print it. If you are only fair with tools pay to have it done. Let the responsibility for your legs go to the professional.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Let REI do it, even if you don't trust them. More than likely they have at least mounted more bindings than you and personally I would not mount my own skis without a jig or proper bits. Plus if they mess up for any reason then the responsibility is on them and not you.
It comes down to how good you are with tools. If you are GOOD with tools you may be successful and I am told you can print drilling template's off the web for many bindings, you will have to find yours and print it. If you are only fair with tools pay to have it done. Let the responsibility for your legs go to the professional.

I've been a carpenter for ~30 years and am all about doing things myself. I have never mounted my own bindings and would not attempt to without the proper tools. Could I do it? Sure, but I wouldn't especially on a new pair of skis.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

i do all my own, and a lot of my friends’, but I worked in a shop and have some experience...and some tools.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Some ppl are skilled at this- they are like 4-5 guys on TGR, for everyone else: buy the shop gals/guys beer & step 10 paces back.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I take great pleasure in mounting my own skis, but many people don't. If you think you might enjoy the process, best to start out on something used or less critical to your skiing pleasure. Stopped drill bits are readily available (Tognar, SVST, etc.), a drill press for drill angles is nice but not essential, as are jigs. In over 30+ mounts, my only screw up was with a jig. Paper templates work well, but if you're downloading them electronically make absolutely sure you get the scale correct. In a pinch you can always use the binding itself as your template - requires some creative clamping and possibly a partial dis-assemblage of binding.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I enjoy mounting my own. I do better without templates. I mark the hole locations with magic marker through the actual bindings. I pre drill just a mark with a small drill. It's never exact so I move the center to eyeball exact with a dremel. Once I'm happy with the placement, I drill with a drill press. I don't have the step drills so I mark the stop with tape - it's quite effective if you pay attention. Use a drill just barely under the size of the shaft (not threads) of the screw. Don't go too small as you will crack the area around the ski (and obviously don't go too big). Tap the holes with a screw - use gloves and do all of them at once. The screw gets hot and the hot tapping helps mold a nice hole. Mount with a bit of quick epoxy and you are done. Less hassle than the multiple trips to the shop?

The best thing about mounting yourself is that you get to mount where you want. I seem to like a mount about 1cm forward of the stock mount. So I get what I want. Actually I like Railflex or Schizio bindings so I can adjust the mount position.

Mounting your skis is not magic. But if playing with your skis is not a passion, have the pros mount your bindings.

Eric

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Templates are not good enough, you actually want a custom jig made for that specific binding otherwise you will never get the correct mount. Very easy to ruin your skis or have a very bad mount. IMHO never worth doing yourself unless you have done this before and have all the tools … etc.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Templates are not good enough, you actually want a custom jig made for that specific binding otherwise you will never get the correct mount.
This is incorrect.

Some ppl are skilled at this- they are like 4-5 guys on TGR,
This is misleading. There quite a few stories of well-done mounts from many people in that thread I linked earlier.
I’m neutral on whether the OP, or anyone reading this, should mount their own skis, but the “you’re gonna die regardless” attitude is BS.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Get a well-used pair from Goodwill for practice. Use the template. Buy the proper drill bit for the ski. Buy a Pozidriv screwdriver for the screws. Go for it and measure twice drill once.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I also use a tap and lightly countersink holes , waterproof glue on screws, I tape ski and carefully mark of center line of ski. This needs patience and near perfection. A little more to it than you would think

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Get a well-used pair from Goodwill for practice. Use the template. Buy the proper drill bit for the ski. Buy a Pozidriv screwdriver for the screws. Go for it and measure twice drill once.
Agreed. If you're going to do it get the right tools. I might even go as far as making a jig from the binding instead of using the template but I have experience with such things.
I think the reasons I haven't done it are A) I've only owned a few pairs of skis over the years and always bought them with the bindings, B) the shop has to adjust and test them anyway which is included with a mount.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed. If you're going to do it get the right tools. I might even go as far as making a jig from the binding instead of using the template but I have experience with such things.
I think the reasons I haven't done it are A) I've only owned a few pairs of skis over the years and always bought them with the bindings, B) the shop has to adjust and test them anyway which is included with a mount.

If one is going to mount their own bindings, they are going to adjust them, that would be the easiest part. And they're probably not worried about having them tested. FWIW, I mount and adjust all my own bindings, I have for years now. But, I trust myself and know what I'm doing, and if I happen to have a situation that results in an injury due to my mounting, it's all on me.

If you're in doubt, have the shop to it.

Sponsor

Staff online