• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Along similar lines, with Mt. Adams on my shoulder! Tuesday. Not a real mtb ride, but the pitch of these gravel roads means a hardtail is the most suitable tool. Yes, my usual horrid attempt at a force smile.

Tom Mosier 2020.jpg

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I like this rock section because i had to build a rock shelf to access it.
20200430_191858.jpg

Attachments

• 20200430_191858.jpg
    20200430_191858.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 2

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
After 3 full seasons running the same plus sized tire setup (Maxxis Rekon 2.8 in the rear, Maxxis DHF 2.8 front), I decided it was time for a change. Just to try something different. Got a fantastic deal on a set of WTBs, so went with a Vigilante 2.6 front, and Trail Boss 2.6 rear. One ride under my belt with the new shoes.

First impressions: Holy grip! Cornering was amazing, climbing over roots and rocks was solid. Downsizing to a 2.6, I didn't feel like I lost any grip. I did lose a little of the "playfulness" and forgiveness of the larger tires, but gained some preciseness and quickness (quick side to side, not rolling quickness). On flat, smooth ground, and in any mud I felt soooo sluggish. Not sure if it's the "brand-new" tire feeling, or the rear tire difference (the Trail Boss is definitely more aggressive than the Rekon). Looking forward to exploring more with these tires.

Sorry no pics this time out.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On flat, smooth ground, and in any mud I felt soooo sluggish.

I noticed this so repacked the front hub and the axle is slightly bent. I left the cones 1/8 turn loose to compensate for the bend and its much better.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I've reached the end of the 'clear cut skiing' and have been out on my mt. bike three times. Mostly rec path, but some dirt road. Woo hoo!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Skyline it looks like.
We are riding N Fork both days this weekend. Camping up there, hoping it's not too wet after today's surprise rain.
Yes, a few times on South Skyline & North Arm trail. It is a good 1800' climb to get the early season legs going. Dry up to the bench but some snow and mud spots if you go much further.
1E030CFA-0265-48BF-940A-3FE3A6E44B89.jpeg

Is the gate even open at North Fork? I heard there is only one short trail that is not muddy? I think a little morning sunshine & things that were dry will be dry again quickly.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, a few times on South Skyline & North Arm trail. It is a good 1800' climb to get the early season legs going. Dry up to the bench but some snow and mud spots if you go much further.
View attachment 101395

Is the gate even open at North Fork? I heard there is only one short trail that is not muddy? I think a little morning sunshine & things that were dry will be dry again quickly.
Most of North Fork is actually really good. That is a fun trail system and the new cuts they've made are excellent!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_20200502_170219323_HDR.jpg

Mining debris can look good sometimes.

Dirt road riding until it became wet from edge to edge. Nice to be on dirt again, but it'll be a while before enough trails are open and ready to go around here.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
looking forward to getting out in late may when the first trails will open here. I haven't been able to ride a MTN bike in 2 years.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We have been driving 60 miles to the least crowded place we know. Stewart State Forest near Newburgh, NY. about 20 miles of old paved, gravel and dirt roads and farm tracks and a bit over 20 miles of fun, mostly smooth single track.

Stewart borders an airport that was designated for SST use before they shut down SST's. The state bought 6,700 acres of mostly farms and moved everyone out in order to create a buffer zone.

Riding in our region is almost all rocky, rooty, techy so it's nice to be able to just cruise a bit. Plus there is never anyone there. These pics are from Sunday which was the nicest spring day we have had this year.

ruby.jpg

gravel.jpg

field.jpg

heihei.jpg

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Might as well start this with my first ride of the year. Great conditions.

View attachment 88901 View attachment 88902
You're making a habit of starting this thread in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online