• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A beer to anybody that can identify this structure!

IMG_3142.jpg

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Negative reach? :duck:

40mm replacing 50. Spesh specs 40mm stem on the S2 size and 50mm on the S3. The turquoise was out of stock everywhere in 50mm so 40 it is - what are the best ski boots? The red ones.

0° rise stem with new 35mm carbon bars with 35mm rise replacing 27mm rise bars with 6° rise stem. Problem is you can’t find 27mm rise bars and I want carbon again for dampness.

So...turquoise.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like the back half of some sort of kiln/chimney.

Yes, but the budget is one beer, so the award goes to @ZionPow for precision.

lime kiln

Nice call!

Moab, this fall, for the beer, with a bit of luck?

It's at the Bakersville exit on I70. Other than perhaps the remains of a building, I don't know what's significant about it.

Nope -- but a lot of these old lime kilns look pretty similar.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, but the budget is one beer, so the award goes to @ZionPow for precision.

Nice call!

Moab, this fall, for the beer, with a bit of luck?

Nope -- but a lot of these old lime kilns look pretty similar.
I haven't stopped at Bakersville for quite a while. There is a chimney from a house.

I've seen coke ovens so I knew it wasn't one of those. ;-) They look like brick igloos.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
A beer to anybody that can identify this structure!

That's fair.

I've seen coke ovens so I knew it wasn't one of those. ;-) They look like brick igloos.

I think the shape is materials-driven rather than purpose driven.

Put another way, it's cheaper to make more stone blocks and have a vague shape with thick walls than to precisely flatten each one for an accurate build. It's only when we have extremely self-similar cheap materials (bricks) that we get the shape right.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We have hero dirt finally, too. Well, I'll scout it tomorrow.

I put a 32 tooth oval (Absolute Black) on my bike and I sure feel like I can motor up punchy stuff a lot more easily now. I also set a PR on Tuesday on a .7 mile segment I've ridden 137 times and I'm kinda shocked and kinda excited! And now two days later, I'm pooped. Recovery does not come easily after 50! That being said, after feeling like I might have "too much bike" in my new Fuel EX 9.8, after opening that thing up and getting more aggressive (if I push hard climbing, it carries over into the downhill) I'm finding that the bike RIPS both up and down. :ogbiggrin:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
after feeling like I might have "too much bike" in my new Fuel EX 9.8, after opening that thing up and getting more aggressive (if I push hard climbing, it carries over into the downhill) I'm finding that the bike RIPS both up and down. :ogbiggrin:
after riding north fork and sardine a few times this spring I was questioning whether my RipMo was overkill. I gotta think it probably weighs 10lbs. more than a lot of other bikes out there. I remembered why I have it when I got out here to the land of Granite besides l’m not racing anyone.
74EB3876-D8A4-4373-987B-DBC611A2E7F8.jpeg

Wait till you get to Moab, then you will really appreciate it.
48656866-AEFF-4985-B57A-A633FFDA325B.jpeg

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I was back out on exploratory out and back for the most part. A friend had let me know of some trees to slay ;) , however they had already been cut :eek:. I continued farther up the valley to check another trail. A touch of snow was on the tread and then....

A fallen tree! I cut it out and continued a little bit further where snow turned me around. Back down valley and another side trail and another tree! This one was big.

IMG_20200521_142919997_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200521_143853790_HDR.jpg

It doesn't show up well but the 2" of dark on the butt of the log was greenish blue. Pine bark beetle kill.

IMG_20200521_143907383_HDR.jpg

I don't know why I enjoy cutting trees so much but it is fun to cut them up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online