• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
^^^ 2,400 feet in 10 miles is nothing to sneeze at!
Breathing heavily more than sneezing ;)
2931EB76-0427-486B-A9DB-F57CC275B7CB.jpeg

Joel

Having fun
Skier
OK, I was kind of slow getting into this thread ( kind of slow getting on the bike this season ). Just spent the last hour ignoring work and looking at all the photos posted. Great motivation boost and a lot of great shots. Some of it made me nervous just looking at. Perhaps it's having gotten old and realize that falling hurts more and healing takes longer, or maybe I'm just chicken! I would say all my falls are because of hesitation, some of the stuff I saw, hesitation would be a big deal for me :geek:

Awesome pics and rides!!

Joel

Having fun
Skier
I managed to get up at 3:30 this morning and get some work done before heading out for a ride. I did my usual climb, but this time stopped along the way to get some pics.

This is the lead in from the parking lot to Towers Trail. It was actually quite dark out. The camera in my phone brightened things up.

T1.jpg

Here is a pause shortly after heading up towers, sun is actually not up yet, but soon.

T2.jpg

A little bit higher, sun now off the horizon.

T3.jpg

A blurry picture of an Owl, I was fully zoomed in and it was still a bit dark for my phone to pull this off. The Owl was laughing at my struggles doing the climb

T4.jpg

One of the not so steep sections of the climb, but there is a lot of it.

T5.jpg

I got to where I decided to jump off and head back down. This is a look behind me.

T6.jpg

Here is where I decide to keep climbing or head back down. I decide to go with the front wheel and head down. Next stop going up would be Carey Springs.

T7.jpg

So it was a nice ride. Some how stopping to take pictures made the ride feel harder. Going to Loggers or Carey Springs is a non stop ride for me, but oddly I
felt more worn out.

Next time I'll try and get some pics on the down. I think some of these are repeats but I think better quality.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Shoutout to @Ron for sending me some great vid and caution on the first leg of the second day of the Steamboat enduro race this weekend - this is Grouse on Buff Pass. It’s a double black with noted fall exposure in places and a lot of big drops.

I was down in Gunnison over the weekend moving my eldest son into his college apartment and accomplished two things:

1) I got ms nay onto the bike riding Sea of Sage. She loved it, but probably isn’t getting into mountain biking any time soon;

View attachment 107361
View attachment 107357

2) I rode all of the A lines on Rattlesnake finally, just putting it my head that if I can’t do it here I won’t do it in Steamboat. We’ll see.

View attachment 107358

View attachment 107359

View attachment 107360

View attachment 107362

and the big one...

View attachment 107363
Love the video, looks like great riding

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Haven’t done this ride in 8 or 10 yrs. it mostly follows a section of the pony express trail between Genoa, NV and Placerville, CA. Also where Snowshoe Thompson did the route on skis during the snowy months. There are a few different ways to do it some longer, some shorter or as an out & back. We chose to make it an easy day & do it as a one way with a shuttle.

Our route began through the woods near Echo Summit
BBB2B0E3-D8BE-47D0-95AD-056D7CC89471.jpeg

Crossed through West Bowl, Sierra-at-Tahoe
C739D011-7C91-42F5-91B3-AFCF9A998CA4.jpeg

Up to Lovers Leap
3C116290-841F-47BF-81C9-E0C134A08B62.jpeg

DB82E7B6-06A9-4E5E-8750-19380AAA775E.jpeg

& then downhill to Strawberry Lodge on Highway 50
F3AB37F2-E20D-429D-809B-D30FEC7711FF.jpeg

D53CCF7A-7600-44D1-AF63-B1C4176208B1.jpeg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Our neighborhood has just established a trails foundation. I am tickled that they are cutting in 6 miles of new trails on our "common space" which is mostly sagebrush, hay fields, and oak. I rode the first mile of it today, and while it's not complete yet, it sure was fun! One concern is whether half of Ogden will now show up in our backyards (literally) to ride, especially in fall and spring when the mountains are too wet.
Neat tunnel o trees along the route.
07F2367B-C2A9-41BD-A7CD-F5AAAB74B37C.jpeg

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
so, I am still doing mostly road and gravel but getting at least a MTB ride in a week. I was a little tired to day but it was so nice out , I had to ride. nothing fantastic but I had 110 road/gravel miles in by Sunday-Wednesday so I was feeling it a little on the climb up. I am starting to remember my MTB skills :) so Im starting to feel more confident after my 2 year hiatus Today I took the 29+ into more "fun" terrain along the top part of Emerald. Lots of roots, rocks, steeper stuff that was a lot of fun. the Beast climbs so well and the 130 fork was a good call. the red Stop pin is my house. I am truly blessed or lucky. :)

1596827415477.png

1596827302511.png

93E02D34-0B16-4394-B60C-26FD5098E88E_1_201_a.jpeg
DFD23702-2F48-4F94-B5FF-BF49D2C29F61_1_201_a.jpeg
2D421F09-CDEE-4D37-94A2-1BB444A307C9_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Our neighborhood has just established a trails foundation. I am tickled that they are cutting in 6 miles of new trails on our "common space" which is mostly sagebrush, hay fields, and oak. I rode the first mile of it today, and while it's not complete yet, it sure was fun! One concern is whether half of Ogden will now show up in our backyards (literally) to ride, especially in fall and spring when the mountains are too wet.
Neat tunnel o trees along the route.

You should be worried! thats our neighborhood. 30 miles of single track/hiking on 4500 acres behind our neighborhood.. our quiet neighborhood is now filled with cars that speed through the main access road and line the road with cars. Fortunately, we fought and won our right to stop any additional parking or access points through our neighborhood. We had language in the original plan saying our neighborhood had the right to limit access. Hopefully. you didnt open Pandora's box.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You should be worried! thats our neighborhood. 30 miles of single track/hiking on 4500 acres behind our neighborhood.. our quiet neighborhood is now filled with cars that speed through the main access road and line the road with cars. Fortunately, we fought and won our right to stop any additional parking or access points through our neighborhood. We had language in the original plan saying our neighborhood had the right to limit access. Hopefully. you didnt open Pandora's box.
Good questions to ask the new trails foundation. We don't HAVE any parking in our neighborhood to begin with. Hopefully a deterrent will be that there are sections where you have to ride on pavement for decent stretches to get back on singletrack.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
if you build trails, they will come.
Add in that Snowbasin and PowMow have been closing a lot more lately for "private events" and races, and I could definitely see us being overrun. Ugh.

On a side note, this made me giggle. Stolen from our local MTB FB group:
goatheads.jpg

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
A little taster of the Upper Grouse pre-ride, which is the first leg of Stage 2 of the Revolution Enduro race in Steamboat this weekend. This is my son Axel, I took the b-line.

And looking back up...

4B2C007E-33B5-4CA4-825B-1E0A92E75A38.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
:geek: Is there a "C" line? :ogbiggrin:

Funny! At one point in our (much younger) lives, my wife had a bit of a cheater route around the Slickrock Trail. She called it the "pink line".

She could darn near clean the entire loop.

Fun years!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Super flat :golfclap:. Grouse is a really well built trail, optional lines have the white hash with black diamond painted on the rock - they all rolll...so long as you do.

Just drop in, right?

A and B....that white hash is the start of the best approach to the B line...

1BEF431E-CB8A-4A7C-AA1A-984BFDA77F2C.jpeg

What a cool place.

9762A8EC-51C1-44FE-A5A7-099A8FC1202E.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online