• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain biking 2019

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Rode the WoW (Wasatch Over Wasatch) Trail on Sunday . ( Midway/PC area)....shuttled to a trail head towards the top. ended up climbing about 700 feet of vert for about 10 miles of incredible downhill. terrain varied from single track in the woods to exposed rocky switchbacks. one great ride!

IMG_3271.JPG
IMG_3272.JPG
IMG_3273.JPG

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Rode the WoW (Wasatch Over Wasatch) Trail on Sunday . ( Midway/PC area)....shuttled to a trail head towards the top. ended up climbing about 700 feet of vert for about 10 miles of incredible downhill. terrain varied from single track in the woods to exposed rocky switchbacks. one great ride!

View attachment 77287 View attachment 77288 View attachment 77289
I am hoping to ride that soon!
It's hard to steal enough time away when you have a kid at home to get out and explore beyond my closest trails. But, I get SO bored with my local trails.

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I am hoping to ride that soon!
It's hard to steal enough time away when you have a kid at home to get out and explore beyond my closest trails. But, I get SO bored with my local trails.

I totally feel that. My whole thing with mtb is that these aren’t ski days, more of a “grab a quick ride, sorry I was gone so much during ski season” sessions.

But unless it’s mostly summer fitness goal, it’s starting to become “where can I travel?” (Fruita, Moab, Cortez...) and that’s more than skiing :huh::P.

And of course you need riding partners because what fun is that solo? I have one of my sons as a built in reason - he’s going to be racing for Western State in Gunnison - and he has friends who ride so I can lead some boys trips, but that’s borrowed time and I don’t heal like I used to so following them around is dangerous :bikewheelie:.

OTOH, I’m enjoying the problem. Will probably ride Little Scraggy next week. That can be done in a 2/3 day and that trail absolutely screams.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I totally feel that. My whole thing with mtb is that these aren’t ski days, more of a “grab a quick ride, sorry I was gone so much during ski season” sessions.

But unless it’s mostly summer fitness goal, it’s starting to become “where can I travel?” (Fruita, Moab, Cortez...) and that’s more than skiing :huh::P.

And of course you need riding partners because what fun is that solo? I have one of my sons as a built in reason - he’s going to be racing for Western State in Gunnison - and he has friends who ride so I can lead some boys trips, but that’s borrowed time and I don’t heal like I used to so following them around is dangerous :bikewheelie:.

OTOH, I’m enjoying the problem. Will probably ride Little Scraggy next week. That can be done in a 2/3 day and that trail absolutely screams.
Grabbing a quick ride is definitely better than no ride, but I know how much my fitness and riding speed and efficiency improve if I can squeeze some greater-than-12-mile rides in a couple days per week. (Remember, those of you who don't ride the mountains daily, 12 miles here typically involves a LOT of climbing.) Powder Mountain has some of my favorite 12-15 mile loops, but getting there takes 45 minutes, and the road up there and back down is a real bugger.

I like riding solo, but don't always feel SAFE riding solo. How fun that you have a son to ride with you who is a strong rider. :golfclap:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Yea, it’s at that 12 mile range at intermountain altitude (or a few less when it’s a lot of techy interval miles) when the fitness bar gets raised for me.

I have some good local rides like Falcon at the Air Force Academy that are that distance for a single loop, but techy reps are often more fun.

I’d love to have a great area like Hartman Rocks in Gunnison as a home area, but not that many places have such concentrated variable riding where you can mix a lot of great technical riding, killer flow, and alpinesque loops launched from the same basic point.

It’s really nice having an in-house riding partner - it’s a lot easier to push hard when there is some extra stoke and maybe a little bit of friendly competition.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I have some good local rides like Falcon at the Air Force Academy that are that distance for a single loop, but techy reps are often more fun.

I’d love to have a great area like Hartman Rocks in Gunnison as a home area, but not that many places have such concentrated variable riding where you can mix a lot of great technical riding, killer flow, and alpinesque loops launched from the same basic point.

It’s really nice having an in-house riding partner - it’s a lot easier to push hard when there is some extra stoke and maybe a little bit of friendly competition.

I've not ridden Hartman, but you are welcome to ride with me from my house.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Working my way up in the climbing game. 1036 feet of elevation gain last night in a 5.16 mile loop

100 degrees in the SLC valley - high 70's on the trail in the mountains , felt great up there.

Think i should just move to Park City for the summer
IMG_3297.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3300.JPG
    IMG_3300.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 18

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Working my way up in the climbing game. 1036 feet of elevation gain last night in a 5.16 mile loop

100 degrees in the SLC valley - high 70's on the trail in the mountains , felt great up there.

Think i should just move to Park City for the summer View attachment 77329

That is a smoooth trail. I dream about those. Especially for climbs.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
If it wasn't in it's solid state, wouldn't it be magma? Now that would make for an interesting ride....:eek:
I was thinking more in the lines of Granite in its decomposed state. We call it DG, decomposed granite. It is like coarse sand and gets very Squirrelly.
876F7040-23D2-4E43-BE96-75C7E8A2D171.jpeg

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
AF03ABEE-AE2B-4887-9837-D240D3A3E06B.jpeg
D39A180E-9E93-4BD4-88C4-4BF28CF7CE6E.jpeg
B15D3AB1-39CF-45F3-991E-C2CCAE8D5252.jpeg
Rode trails around Mammoth Lakes yesterday by taking shuttle up to Horseshoe Lake, riding trail around that and then hitting the Panorama MTB trail and Mammoth Rock trail on the way back to town. Surfaces varied from snow at the high elevations, packed dirt on the Panorama Trail, to boulders, loose rocks , sand, loose pumice on the Mammoth Rock Trail. Most of the ride was downhill.

All of the pictures are from the Mammoth Rock Trail, which was the dry, loose portion. Still lots of fun!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I did a bit of trail work today. Some avi debris, too, not shown. 26 miles, 2600 vert. I cleared 5 12+ in. trees and a few smaller ones, too.
IMG_20190720_111049310_HDR.jpg IMG_20190720_123334908_HDR.jpg IMG_20190720_125236196.jpg IMG_20190720_112235176.jpg IMG_20190720_112851236.jpg IMG_20190720_115253288_HDR.jpg IMG_20190720_115908199_HDR.jpg IMG_20190720_113901626_HDR.jpg IMG_20190720_130000926.jpg IMG_20190720_130020325.jpg IMG_20190720_120717712_HDR.jpg IMG_20190720_154643021_HDR.jpg
Sorry, the pictures are not in correct order. Bike and beer.

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
View attachment 77391 View attachment 77392 View attachment 77393 Rode trails around Mammoth Lakes yesterday by taking shuttle up to Horseshoe Lake, riding trail around that and then hitting the Panorama MTB trail and Mammoth Rock trail on the way back to town. Surfaces varied from snow at the high elevations, packed dirt on the Panorama Trail, to boulders, loose rocks , sand, loose pumice on the Mammoth Rock Trail. Most of the ride was downhill.

All of the pictures are from the Mammoth Rock Trail, which was the dry, loose portion. Still lots of fun!

Alpine(esque) sage terrain is so yummy. Just that right combo of mountain to desert that nobody chases.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I was thinking pea gravel and chicken heads mixed in with ancient inland sea sand.

Plus maybe some horse shit mixed in for a modern twist :P
Yes, horse shit & fossilized Horse hoofs always make for extra adventure but more archaic than modern :huh: .

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 77391 View attachment 77392 View attachment 77393 Rode trails around Mammoth Lakes yesterday by taking shuttle up to Horseshoe Lake, riding trail around that and then hitting the Panorama MTB trail and Mammoth Rock trail on the way back to town. Surfaces varied from snow at the high elevations, packed dirt on the Panorama Trail, to boulders, loose rocks , sand, loose pumice on the Mammoth Rock Trail. Most of the ride was downhill.

How long was that ride?
(Hrs or miles)

Sponsor