• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain biking 2019

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There are two groups doing the long ride-the compete group and non-compete. I signed up for the compete but plan to hang back and see if I start passing people. I have NO idea what to expect. I just know I tend to underestimate myself a wee bit. I also know I don't want to go into total competitive mode or I might burn myself by about mile 7. I did do a race in 2015 and quickly realized I was passing people left and right, but that was more of a "beginner" group. I am just going to go ride how I ride and have fun! Then I'll eat tacos and drink a beer or two after :beercheer:

Because I see people jumping in to tell you to take a different strategy, I'm going to preempt that and say YOU DO YOU!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Thanks ladies! I'm hydrating like crazy today, went for a spin on mostly pavement this morning, spun easily up the climbs (my knee is hurting--I hate getting older) and will eat a healthy meal and get as much sleep as my insomnia will allow :rolleyes: There are two groups doing the long ride-the compete group and non-compete. I signed up for the compete but plan to hang back and see if I start passing people. I have NO idea what to expect. I just know I tend to underestimate myself a wee bit. I also know I don't want to go into total competitive mode or I might burn myself by about mile 7. I did do a race in 2015 and quickly realized I was passing people left and right, but that was more of a "beginner" group. I am just going to go ride how I ride and have fun! Then I'll eat tacos and drink a beer or two after :beercheer:

I don't know why I have the hardest time loading images.

Racing is hard & it hurts. Winning, meeting a personal goal or exceeding expectations is fun...
Have FUN!
:D

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Because I see people jumping in to tell you to take a different strategy, I'm going to preempt that and say YOU DO YOU!
That's my plan!! :D
Racing is hard & it hurts. Winning, meeting a personal goal or exceeding expectations is fun...
Have FUN!
:D
My personal goal is to ride it faster than I did on Wednesday and not DIE!

When are you heading back our way?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
That's my plan!! :D

My personal goal is to ride it faster than I did on Wednesday and not DIE!

When are you heading back our way?

:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It was fun! It rained hard, and the rocks were slippery and made things MUCH more challenging, as did the fact that I got backlogged in the rock gardens by people who couldn't RIDE the rock gardens. :eek: In fact, I should have gotten in the front from the get go as I was hamstrung on the initial downhill, too. I believe I was 12th out of 30 or so, and I was definitely the oldest of the riders riding competitively. (As in, most of them looked younger than 30.)

I learned that I have really good all-around skills and that 30 year olds in race mode climb a lot faster than me BUT some of them burned themselves out (as I knew would happen on this course) so I got ahead of them in the last 3 miles. Being the old turtle isn't always a bad thing!

Lots of pics to come. My better half says it's time for a full spandex race outfit. :roflmao:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
cant see any of them....

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Not me, dont even know who it is, but this a nicely done video from my Favorite local trails.

@Tony S even if the gathering does nt go you should still come here before or after to ride.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
you used to be able to ride from the Alta to the bottom of LCC on a single track DH. I am not sure how much is legal/still there.

Heck if LCC is still there you could ride this.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7026149/big-mountain-trail

Also if your looking to avoid the heat the Solitude XC race course is more fun to ride than the Snowbird XC race course. There is also Dog Lake in Milliceint canyon.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4285496/dog-lake

Big Mountain looked like a good resort downhill option (or uphill and back before 11:00 am when it becomes downhill only), but there is still a ton of snow up high. I should have brought my skis.

North side of Superior. Can still be skied off the summit.

AB2DC74E-0785-4A08-95D4-1E90BBB69DFF.jpeg

Albion side of Alta. Snow is good corn in here - nice turns for July if you look closely.

60F15317-F7D4-4AC0-969F-2FD6ACDCC11D.jpeg

We rode Quarry yesterday. Apparently you can link this from Snowbird, but it’s really tight and rowdy above the main trail. You’d need to know the trail well to ride that properly, and it’s just super chunky.

16DF8981-0471-4627-AF40-D03D28A65C3E.jpeg

We didn’t go far up here above the main trail with too much hike a bike.

D7FBD765-8F60-471A-8202-7E08482D5D1B.jpeg

Fun single to double track rip down, though. 3.5 miles non-stop and pretty with the stream raging.

DF9A0696-4AB3-403E-B8DC-5F723DF42E89.jpeg

We’re going to hit lower Snowbird this afternoon. It’s definitely been hot once out of LCC.

Appreciate all the intel :beercheer: @Josh Matta @AmyPJ

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
If you were in BCC, I'd say buzz to the top and get on the Crest trail, which I believe is finally (mostly) clear of snow. The cross country at Snowbird is really not a bad option. Not sure how high you'll be able to ride at this time.

My son did a pre-run of the Snowbird trails and came back pretty stoked. There is some tendency for :bestday: any time he’s out alone, but hey, I’m just happy to get in some rides with least effort and that’s out the front door so all good here.

It’s not really about me anyway :wag:.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah LCC is Gnar but its fun GNAR. It was my favorite ride when I used to live in Sandy. I use to ride it from my house with no shuttle.

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
yeah LCC is Gnar but its fun GNAR. It was my favorite ride when I used to live in Sandy. I use to ride it from my house with no shuttle.

It all looked rideable if you had the lines down for sure.

We had a blast spending a couple hours at Snowbird. We did a couple of loops of Mid-Way to Baby Thunder.

D2A44BE5-940C-40D4-8118-2EC709E00D17.jpeg

2CA02B96-487E-40A0-A41A-5E14A03B3687.jpeg
CA4BBA57-2BCA-4F1F-87F0-556F5B2DEF25.jpeg

And the White Pine Connector was a riot with some nice root drop corners and other goodies.
D51EEE0E-2142-438A-BE5C-FD0683E8A684.jpeg

A19657AE-087A-4D01-9187-128C1FA8C866.jpeg

4332E82F-0843-4D28-9F9F-4B24CB2E4410.jpeg

Certainly worth a couple hours for about 2K of vert, although probably 40% of that was riding the road back up to Alta.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you get rained on, too, @nay?
I've ridden at Snowbird, and the trails remind me of Snowbasin--a bit rough around the edges as they were really designed with hiking in mind, not biking.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_5018.JPG
Here's the conga line of us coming up the Baggage Claim switchbacks.

Reactions: nay