• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been road biking for a handful of years, but using Shimano SPD pedals with Shimano SH-M088 shoes with the aspiration of using both the pedals and shoes on both road (and MTB, should I ever get there).

So, last year I started MTB biking and have now ventured into blue/intermediate trails. The last couple of MTB rides have been technical and I'm finding the limitations of these hard soles MTB shoes. [Read, I'm starting to bounce off my pedals.) Also, I find myself NOT wanting to be clipped in because of the delay in clipping out. So, that made @Tricia's flat pedal thread *really* timely. I think that thread has identified on the pedals I want/need.

Now to the shoes. What should I look for in MTB shoes? What's your favorites (and why)?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I <3 my 5-10s. Very sticky sole.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm using FiveTen Freerider. I went up 1/2 size for a perfect fit.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Best options are probably 5.10, then Giro Jacket, Pearl Izumi XAlp Launch and Specialized 2Fo. I have a (mostly hate) love/hate relationship with 5.10. I have had HORRIBLE qc issues with multiple pairs... but the rubber sure is sticky! Others, who's opinions I value, have had great luck with the brand.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Before you give up on clipless, consider trying a set of Shimano multi-release cleats (SH-56 as opposed to the more common SH-51).

They don't hold me in firmly enough, yet my wife wouldn't be without them.

Less than a $20 experiment!

Reactions: Ron

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Before you give up on clipless, consider trying a set of Shimano multi-release cleats (SH-56 as opposed to the more common SH-51).

I always used those. Totally different, though, from flats.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I always used those. Totally different, though, from flats.

True. My poorly made point is that I've put several people on them, including my wife, that love clipless on the road, but were ready to give up in mtb settings.

They make a huge difference.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Flats, meh. Just one rider's strong bias. Several friends who are good riders love them. To me it feels like trying to play soccer with my shoes untied. It can be done, but why?

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

My intention is to get my MTB basic skillset up to speed before adding the complexity of clipless. The learning curve riding trails has been steeper than hoped. That said, gonna have fun (attempting) learning cornering, braking, manuals, bunny hops, and jumps.

I'm a hoarder... I'll keep a lot of gear around for a while.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Plai when are you planning on coming up here? Lets go for a ride.

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Plai when are you planning on coming up here? Lets go for a ride.

Current plan is N Lake weekend of July 13-15. Can probably only do green trails since will have family along.

Enjoyed your report on Clear Creek Trail. Still trying to figure out what would be best for less agressive beginners in my family.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Current plan is N Lake weekend of July 13-15. Can probably only do green trails since will have family along.

Enjoyed your report on Clear Creek Trail. Still trying to figure out what would be best for less agressive beginners in my family.
Clear Creek starts with a couple of mile climb, although (mostly) gradual it is still a climb. While I haven't been there on the weekend, I hear it gets pretty crowded, midweek is a better option. Aldler Creek would be a better option. I have been there on a Sunday and it wasn't too crowded.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I just learned about multi-directional cleats as I was putting cleats (SH51) on my new shoes today. I had the same type on my old shoes, and my new shoes (Specialized Riata) are so much better that the release type didn't really matter.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
To reiterate what has already been said, I'm a big fan of 5-10's and a good pair of flats. I ran clipless for a long time, probably 15 years, mainly because I thought it was what I should do. But the current crop of sticky shoes and flats is actually really good. The feel is different, you don't get the side-to-side float that you get from clipless, but they work really well at keep your foot planted and connected to the pedal.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
5.10s are a solid choice. I've heard lately their quality has gone downhill (no pun intended.) I haven't experienced that, but I'm not a big bruiser who is particularly tough on shoes.

I think flats are fantastic for those who lack confidence at times and who hesitate in certain situations. There are trade offs, for sure, but it doesn't take much to adapt to flats and learn to keep your feet planted through rocks, roots, etc. There are a lot of pros out there on them, too. I know some pros (and non-pros) who ride flats and clipless depending on the type of ride.

I've put elastic speed laces on my 5.10s so they are slip ons now. Another plus to flats is that you don't have to change shoes to drive, or walk into the bar for that matter. :D

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I've heard lately their quality has gone downhill (no pun intended.)

Unfortunate if true. I've had the same pair longer than I've had my pedals - the ones where I've worn down the traction pins. Shoes are still in great shape.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There are a lot of pros out there on them, too. I know some pros (and non-pros) who ride flats and clipless depending on the type of ride.

Right. My bias comes from the fact that even though I ride plenty of technical sections that are very challenging to one's confidence, it doesn't change the fact that it's still fundamentally xc. That means, in turn, that the biggest obstacle to completing long rides with enjoyment - especially if you ride with strong riders - is fitness. What mitigates the need for fitness? Efficiency!

Okay, I'm putting on my Josh Matta hat now. Watch out. ogwink Most weekend warrior mtb riders, regardless of pedal type, don't have good, efficient pedaling habits, especially if they're not also roadies. Ask a roadie whether he or she would be fine with flats. ROTFLMAO! So, in short, if you're just as efficient on flats as on clips, it's because you're inefficient on clips. :eek:

Sponsor

Staff online