• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
it doesn't take much to adapt to flats and learn to keep your feet planted through rocks, roots, etc.
QFT
I have not had an issue with my feet staying on the pedals with FiveTen shoes and spiked flats.
You don't get the full upstroke, but you sure do get a lot of it.
My feet stayed put, even when I got rock strikes this past week, and held on when I did this small drop on the bridge
fullsizeoutput_482b.jpeg

Reactions: Ron

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
For anyone looking for shoes for their flats, I have a pair of rarely-worn men's Shimanos, I think size 10 (I can check if someone expresses interest). Just pay shipping.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
QFT
I have not had an issue with my feet staying on the pedals with FiveTen shoes and spiked flats.
My feet stayed put, even when I got rock strikes this past week, and held on when I did this small drop on the bridge
View attachment 48573

Honestly? From what I've seen, people who had a good, consistent pedal stroke in clipless pedals do fine. It's more of an adjustment for people whose pedal stroke was already suboptimal (but the clipless let them get away with it).

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I briefly used a pair of Five-Ten shoes with boa laces which I loved, but, my pedal stroke felt weird. I went back to Specialized, which uses slightly canted footbeds in their women’s cycling shoes to account for women’s larger Q angles. They work.

(In my years as a track cyclist, getting my pedals adjusted properly to allow a good stroke that kept my knees tracking properly was a nightmare).

I now have the Specialized Tahoe women’s shoe. Sole isn’t as sticky as the Five-Ten (Five-Ten originally made approach and climbing shoes), but they are easier for me to walk in (I’m a terrible technical rider, and I also use my bike for errands, so I need to walk comfortably). My knees are happy now, too.

D77346D6-F87B-4C50-ADA1-1648DEC7BE62.jpeg

My pedals are Crank Bros, but with a platform on the reverse side of the cleat.

Anyone need a men’s Five-Ten mountain bike shoe in great shape, in a size 42???? ogwink

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
QFT
View attachment 48573
Nice legs! ;)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I briefly used a pair of Five-Ten shoes with boa laces which I loved, but, my pedal stroke felt weird. I went back to Specialized, which uses slightly canted footbeds in their women’s cycling shoes to account for women’s larger Q angles. They work.

(In my years as a track cyclist, getting my pedals adjusted properly to allow a good stroke that kept my knees tracking properly was a nightmare).

I now have the Specialized Tahoe women’s shoe. Sole isn’t as sticky as the Five-Ten (Five-Ten originally made approach and climbing shoes), but they are easier for me to walk in (I’m a terrible technical rider, and I also use my bike for errands, so I need to walk comfortably). My knees are happy now, too.

View attachment 48732
My pedals are Crank Bros, but with a platform on the reverse side of the cleat.

Anyone need a men’s Five-Ten mountain bike shoe in great shape, in a size 42???? ogwink
That looks like it may run narrow. IIRC you have a skinny foot so that's a good option. I may look into those next.

IIRC @Plai's feet are a little wider.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
YAY! can you move my #27 post?
Done.
My thread title with the moved posts can be edited if anyone has a better title.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For anyone looking for shoes for their flats, I have a pair of rarely-worn men's Shimanos, I think size 10 (I can check if someone expresses interest). Just pay shipping.
Since shoe sizing can be so different, is there a Euro size listed? I find that to be more consistent. If they are a small 10(43.5-44) I will take em.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Since shoe sizing can be so different, is there a Euro size listed? I find that to be more consistent. If they are a small 10(43.5-44) I will take em.

I was wrong - size 11 (44.5).

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I feel motived to tell my story on the subject. I got my first (and only) road bike in 1985. It had toe clip pedals. I rode it in what ever sneaks I had on my feet, mostly running shoes. Friends showed me their clipless, stiff bike shoes. They couldn't walk in them for sh**, but they really did help when pedaling. I found really stiff sneaks and said close enough. When I bought a mtn bike in 2013, I decided to go with flats, since I have never owned clipless. I firmly believe they are better and more effiecient for bike riding.

My flats, though, were the right choice for me. The ability to get off the pedals instanly has saved my ass more times than I can count. I have only fallen off my bike twice, both at almost stopped speed. NO damage. I can't count how many times I have landed on my feet while my bike flipped underneath me. If I was on clipless, I would be flipping with the bike. I ride really rocky terrain on a hard tail, and bail off my pedals at low speeds often. I don't do crazy sh*** , but I am not afraid to give something a try. I go slow and if I get out of control, I put my feet down and hang on.

I definitely loose pedal efficiency and if I was doing a long uphill climb, I would rethink it. If you ride single track with a lot of up quick up and downs. flats are safer, no question. If I am climbing a mtn, I would be on clipless.

For shoes, I have some 5/10's, they are almost like a ski boot, and really protect my feet from rocks. I can walk in them comfortably, especially on rough terrain. I have no second thoughts about them or desire to get something else. They are super sticky and I never come off my pedals. (Canfield crampons) I have watched plenty of my friends who ride clipless fall off their bikes when they don't get out of them fast enough. I am new to the sport, and like the safety over the efficiency. It really is personal, and its pretty easy to figure out which camp you are in. Having said all this, I have never tried clipless and now that I have developed some skills and know my limits, I wouldn't mind trying clipless. Maybe if I rent a bike sometime, I will rent clipless shoes as well.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who rides both, and I think we have in this thread.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online