• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Steve Martin

Booting up
Skier
I seen in another thread people alluding to Mt Holly expanding. Talk about expanding into the quarry. Can anybody expand on this?

Regards
Steve

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a message in to someone I know. Will report back.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've heard essentially the same rumor from some I know who is on the Ski Patrol there but these rumors have been out so some extent for years.
The quarry operations are winding down on the adjacent property in the next few years and much of the property is already done with sand and gravel extraction.

Most of the surrounding land surrounding Mt. Holly in the old quarries is being turned into an ORV park co-operated by State of Michigan and Oakland County Parks. It had some limited opening last year, its supposed to be open year-round. For the interim in the summer months they are going use Mt. Holly parking lot and lodge/restrooms as the staging area. In the winter months, they are going a different trailhead / staging area. Not sure of the longer term plans of any facilities for the ORV park and/or Mt. Holly's involvement the deal.

The basic rumor was they would expand a bit southward off of Thunderbolt and regrade that area out and replace Chair 7.
The rumor of also replacing Chair 6 with a high speed quad has been around for almost 20 years after then put in Mach 1.
I have my doubts, take with a heavy grain of salt.
I think this has been more or less chairlift chatter that has become urban legend at this point.
At some time down the road they will eventually replace Chair 6 but that may easily be 5-10 years from now.

Yes, long term in theory a fixed-grip quad or high speed quad could replace Chair 5 & 6, and maybe they expand out the area around and south of Thunderbolt. Like said above probably in a few years but definetely not for next season, and with the economic disaster we are facing that is easily probably pushing out.

I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow cut a deal for land acquisition or purchase rights to land to be able to expand in the future in that area, but nothing is imminent.

Sponsor

Staff online