• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mount demo bindings on new skis first? What say ye?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The new Salomon Strive will solve many of the demo issues with it being the same height and delta as the retail version.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Basically, anything one writes about this topic has to be simplified. There is always more detail. Lots to figure out. Easy to get stuff wrong.

One of the reasons I have kept the adjustable binding on the ski (and I use both demo and Schizos in different situations) rather than switch is that I've found that I want the same binding, with its own peculiarities, including height, rather than to switch to another model or brand that will usually feel different, including with best mount point. For example, Tyrolia has made basically two different adjustable or demo bindings over recent years, one with tall stack height, one with much lower. To me, the lower one feels cheap and rickety, unpleasant to ski on - but it is lower, close to the fixed binding height. The really tall one used to be called the AT (All Types) demo. I only use it when I want, in effect, the 10 mm extra height of a plate under the binding, and on the ski. The Marker demos, in contrast, have in general been the same or closer to the height of the fixed binding version, so better if one wanted to switch to fixed. To complicate things further, most of the binding companies have often made available a different demo binding for rental and demo fleets (wholesale use) than the one they will sell retail, and the one they sell retail is often not available for shops to order at all, or it is in such limited supply that it's a bear to get a hold of, except through a more high volume shop that has a lot of pull with the brands. But often, seems like, the wholesale demo binding is better made, built to withstand a lot more use/abuse for the sake of lower shop maintenance, I gather.

My solution to this has been to identify the demo bindings I like for certain purposes, and buy those on ebay in advance, or through shops when they get rid of demo skis and bindings at the end of the season. And also to go through a high volume shop when there is another demo binding I want. This has required making the connections to do this, and using ongoing strategies to stockpile what I plan to use.

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Schizo's required a tool / screwdriver to adjust -> I had them on a set a few years ago, a great idea at the time.
IMO easier to have a modern Demo-Binding and merely lift the tabs to adjust the heel and toe as required -> don't even need to remove my gloves. I've done this many times at the top of the lift when experimenting. Having to dig out a tool means I have to carry that tool, fish it out from my pocket, probably remove my gloves, adjust accordingly, etc, wah, wah, wah :ogbiggrin:

View attachment 160190
Yeah, I'm the reverse. Both work well, however.

I got used to doing the Schizos before they had the levers to be adjustable on demo bindings, and with practice it became easy. I got rid of the feeble plastic tool they used to provide with the Schizos right away, and dialed in the right very short screw driver tool(s) some time ago. Shorter than 2 inches. Mine sits in a parka pocket, and comes out without taking mittens or gloves off, and the screw turn is effortless, in a very large, easy to use opening, only one change needed per binding, rather than separate toe/heal levers for a demo binding.

(I use both regularly, and have no reason to prefer either, other than my experience.)

On a blizzard powder day especially, but also a really cold day, the levers are more likely, for me, to freeze up with ice or get jammed with snow, and then require taking off warmer mittens to get at them right. The particular screw driver tools/connection I use with the Schizos don't jam or get frozen up or packed in as often, if ever. In a full on blizzard at minus zero with high wind, I've found the Schizos to be easier and more dependable at the top of the 4, 8 or even 9 lifts at Loveland, for instance.

Also, the Schizos can be shifted any interval desired, small or larger, 1 mm at a time, while the demos generally jump 4 to 3 mm per shift, depending on the binding; no in between settings possible. (According to some, such small intervals don't really matter. Except, in my experience, they sometimes do. But then, I'm going by actual experience on many skis, many bindings, not just a head trip from someone with relatively little experience, especially on fatter skis where smaller increments matter most often.)

Sponsor

Staff online