• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Most Playful, Cambered Powder Ski

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Once you get into the “Playful Charger” type skis, they have the weight, flex, sidecut to not only be fun in untracked powder but they don’t fall apart in tracked snow or crud like the Kore/DPS RP/Rip Sticks etc do.

There are also skis within this width range like the 2021 CT 3.0 that combines the low taper shape of wide carving chargers but with added ease off trail and in bumps of a twin tail. Stiff flex throughout but more forgiving to ski than it should be. It’s turning radius makes it fun at lower speeds but has a much higher top end than anything this easy to ski. Shockingly great edge grip and carving performance, can ski through any conditions at very high speeds yet a blast in bumps. A unicorn powder ski.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are looking for a ski to give you that unforgettable first track through a steep glade, the 112RP will be a sentimental choice. But then you might as well go to the bar and brag about it.
Strongly agree because the 112rp is not a resort ski despite what the designers intended over a decade ago - back when the question everyone - on what is now called skitalk - would ask about powder skis "but how well does {this powder ski} carve?" While the 112rp is good for 2d snow like carving a groomer or floating on the surface of powder; it really struggles in 3d snow like deep chop.

well… RP stands for “resort powder”… it’s right in the name…

We have clearly moved on - as there are no more resort powder days; we have powder hours, powder moments. And if you ski at the speed the 112rp is comfortable with you powder run will only last moments before you are over taken by the feeding frenzy.

I still have my 112rp from years ago but tis really just a touring ski these days. It works very well for that including all the funky crusts that so frequently show up touring.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
...We have clearly moved on - as there are no more resort powder days; we have powder hours, powder moments...
Well not for this midweek senior but sure for many resorts, weekenders, and individual situations. I ski Kirkwood, Heavenly, Northstar and on fresh days from gun openings can ski relatively untracked powder for hours though it is true most visitors to those resorts don't know where or are technique limited. Kirkwood particularly most winters gets a lot of deeper fresh days. Key is getting wherever early while most are clogged up on the road or parking lots and having a game plan of some really long untracked lines higher up on mountains where snow is best and others will take time to reach.

Am not saying I can ski long nearly top to bottom untracked fall lines all day that I prefer but plenty of lines with lots of turns though that may mean every so often crossing someone's traversing tracks. Many of those lines are in obscure dense woods, or in low gradient slopes advanced skiers never bother with, or below rocky cliff areas or require some hiking and almost all are not within sight of lifts or trails that is all most visitors are aware of. Instead are areas I've figured out using topographic maps and Google Earth. This winter since I began to use a GoPro8 at season's end and have figured out Youtube, expect to video numbers and even resort locals are no doubt going to be surprised at some of the long lines I'll bounce.

Also what brand full model name is a 112rp? By time longer untracked has disappeared am likely to change skis and hit bump slopes.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well not for this midweek senior but sure for many resorts, weekenders, and individual situations. I ski Kirkwood, Heavenly, Northstar and on fresh days from gun openings can ski relatively untracked powder for hours though it is true most visitors to those resorts don't know where or are technique limited. Kirkwood particularly most winters gets a lot of deeper fresh days. Key is getting wherever early while most are clogged up on the road or parking lots and having a game plan of some really long untracked lines higher up on mountains where snow is best and others will take time to reach.

Am not saying I can ski long nearly top to bottom untracked fall lines all day that I prefer but plenty of lines with lots of turns though that may mean every so often crossing someone's traversing tracks. Many of those lines are in obscure dense woods, or in low gradient slopes advanced skiers never bother with, or below rocky cliff areas or require some hiking and almost all are not within sight of lifts or trails that is all most visitors are aware of. Instead are areas I've figured out using topographic maps and Google Earth. This winter since I began to use a GoPro8 at season's end and have figured out Youtube, expect to video numbers and even resort locals are no doubt going to be surprised at some of the long lines I'll bounce.

Also what brand full model name is a 112rp? By time longer untracked has disappeared am likely to change skis and hit bump slopes.

DPS wailer 112RP. BTW - If you want to seek out fresh snow, far from lifts, with hiking, on low angle slopes and in tight trees... that approach fits ski touring much better than resort skiing. Just saying.

Sponsor