• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Most Playful, Cambered Powder Ski

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One-Oh-Something or wider?

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Lots of definitions of playful out there. What is yours?
It laughs at my stupid jokes and tickles me. So tough to nail down. My Stockli Laser GS = not playful. Laser AXs = a bit of humor. Head Kore 99s = barrel of laughs. All skied in appropriate snow conditions, of course.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
My most playful powder skis are over 110 (except the new mindbender 108s that still need bindings). I usually like more traditional mount points. If I’m allowed to go over 110:

2011 184 DPS 112rp. A hoot in the trees. Enough pop to get you airborne between turns. Camber and torsional stiffness for high edge angles on the groomed. Silly looking tips that can (and should) be driven hard but most don’t.

2014 191 ON3P Billy Goat. The yellow paw version that have a reputation for being poppy. Only a little camber and 118 under foot but…Go fast and fly off even the smallest bush or bump. Mow over whispeys like they aren’t there. A laugh a minute.

2017 180 Line Pescado. Lots of camber but 124 under foot. Surfy goodness and carvabilty. So fun.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Since you like a premium product, and if money is not an issue, Augment AM108.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Since you like a premium product, and if money is not an issue, Augment AM108.

Thanks. Have seriously considered that. Thev few reviews that I read indiucated that it was a ski that had to be skied hard. Would love your opinion, if you have skied it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks. Have seriously considered that. Thev few reviews that I read indiucated that it was a ski that had to be skied hard. Would love your opinion, if you have skied it.
I haven't skied the 108, I do have it in our test fleet. I just didn't get the right window to take it out. @Alexzn did ski ours, he should be able chime in. If you have read our reviews of the AM98, I think you can summize a good feeling for the ski.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
If you want playful, I'd seriously look at DPS112 RP, it's a definition of an easy and fun ski that is a RIOT until it is skied fast and pushed to the limit. Augment is awesome, but it is not what I would necessarily call a dedicated playful powder ski. It is an exceptionally versatile and fun one-oh-something. Enough rocker and float to get you through the morning powder with a grin and then plenty of stability for the chopped up stuff in the afternoon. It's a "reality" resort powder ski that shines the brightest the day after the storm, but will be totally at home on a storm day and three days after. The only downside is that it is a bit heavy, so it likes a rounder line. It will still pivot to dump off some speed in the tree, but it will cost you some effort where the 112RP will be near effortless. But again Augment will drive through 11am the piles of snow which will deflect the 112RP. Unless you have a locker on the mountain, you have to pick your poison.

If you are looking for a ski to give you that unforgettable first track through a steep glade, the 112RP will be a sentimental choice. But then you might as well go to the bar and brag about it. I'd still own the Augment any day over the 112rp. It's just so much more versatile and tuned to the actual reality of my resort skiing on soft snow days.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Line Sir Francis Bacon/ Outline

Those convex tips and tails are awesome functionally playful design elements

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Most of the skis mentioned here except for @silverback and @Superbman lists above I wouldn’t consider “playful”.
Mindbenders aren’t really that playful unless you move the mount up a bit on the 116 maybe as the Reckoner 112 and 122 are their playful powder skis even when put them on their traditional mounts.

Liberty Origin 112, Armada ARV 116 JJ, Nomad 115, Bent Chet 120, Rip Stick 116 and the Line Outline/Pescado are first that come to mind when I think of playful powder Skis.

Then you have the next stage of skis with more weight and usually stiffer that are playful but can charge/playful chargers like the ON3P Jeffrey/Billygoat, Revolt 121, BC Anima, Moment Wildcat, 2021 CT 3.0, Black Ops Gamer and the longest lengths of the Rustler 11 and MFree 108.

DPS RP I’d put in a “very easy to ski at low speeds” with it’s light weight and tight turn radius but suffers at speed or tracked/variable snow. Koala is the line for more aggressive skiers.

Augment 108 would be a more traditional feeling “wide carver” type of soft snow ski like a Cochise 106, Fisher Ranger or Katana 108. Less playful, more traditional and more “serious” than the options above.

Last edited:

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Yes, Augment 108 is what the Cochise always wanted to be but never could. A wide charger with great edge hold and not an ounce of that “truck” feeling. Sadly, my resort always calls more for that Cochise type of ski rather than a 112RP type powder surfer. I triangulate with the Kore 117, but would be just as happy skiing the Augment on soft days,

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
@martyg - May I suggest you take a look at the Parlor McFellon Pro. I prefer cambered skis so I had Mark (actually Alex) build me a set for my weight with camber (Maple & Aspen, no metal). I find them as playful as my past Armada Tracer108’s, but can hold an edge better when trying to get to the lift or you end up on something firm. Plow thru crud and slop no prob.. It is not a demanding ski and won’t kick you in the butt if you get tired at the end of the day. Mine are mounted -15mm from recommendEd. I found the Kastle BMX & Blizzard Cochise more demanding than I prefer.

Give Mark a call at the shop and see what he says. He will buy them back if you don’t like them..

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
The Nordica Enforcer 110 is my go to powder ski these days, but it can also hold an edge like nobody's business thanks to the titanal layers and camber. It also has a great flex profile that make it fun in bumps and moguls too.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dps 112rp are for powder 8 farming not resort skiing.

Still loving my nordica el capo for resort pow. Just mounted and tuned a new pair fresh out of plastic this last week. Charge in the pow.

If I were to pickup a newish resort pow ski would be a rossi black ops 118 level 9 has them for 400. I just don't think I would ski them more than 5 days every a year.

To the op, are these a touring rig, heli/cat, or resort skis? 1 rig to rule them all?

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
Most playful, yet chambered and still stable at speed plank I ever skied was an Atomic Bent Chetler 120 mounted -5-6 cm back from center line fwiw.
Truly remarkable ski, even really carveable on groomers if you have to.

Sponsor

Staff online