• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Most overrated ski destinations (according to you)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think Palisades is over rated, at least the OV side. It's not that I haven't had some good days there, it's just weird to not have a lodge at the base. I don't ski the big stuff but do ski the pretty big stuff. The crowds, parking, and getting there during the main part of the season are unpleasant. Getting down Mountain Run can be a life threatening event. It is a good place for spring skiing, though, when the crowds thin out. I do like the Alpine side. Its more local feel is more my jam. It does, however, face the same access issues as the OV side. 89 is just miserable on busy days.

Generally, though, I have enjoyed every place I've been in the last 6 or 7 years since I started skiing again. Some have been because of great conditions, some have been because of the place itself. I've skied some pretty lousy conditions and still had a great time.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Olympic House felt pretty lodge-like, especially hanging out at the Pocket.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Generally, though, I have enjoyed every place I've been in the last 6 or 7 years since I started skiing again. Some have been because of great conditions, some have been because of the place itself. I've skied some pretty lousy conditions and still had a great time.

Exactly if you're on it, everywhere is fun, even "good for you" snow. If you're off it, hassles like long lift lines or crowded pistes or shitty hard pack can nail the coffin.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think Palisades is over rated, at least the OV side. It's not that I haven't had some good days there, it's just weird to not have a lodge at the base. I don't ski the big stuff but do ski the pretty big stuff. The crowds, parking, and getting there during the main part of the season are unpleasant. Getting down Mountain Run can be a life threatening event. It is a good place for spring skiing, though, when the crowds thin out. I do like the Alpine side. Its more local feel is more my jam. It does, however, face the same access issues as the OV side. 89 is just miserable on busy days.

This is a tough one. Totally agree about access and crowds. On the other hand I am entranced by the huge variety of terrain options at OV, not even counting the many which have been closed when I've been there. When I think about my favorite runs from last week, most were at OV. Granite Chief is its own beautiful little world. I can imagine basing myself at Alpine and just taking the base to base, assuming it's open.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Has no one mentioned Sunday River?

What they have:
  • Snowmaking
  • Cat tracks galore
  • Best groomer run dedicated entirely to racing
What they don't have:
  • Terrain variety and quality
  • Atmosphere
  • Scenery
  • Natural snow
  • Low crowds
  • Sense of history
  • Interesting town (exception: the new bakery)
  • Anything else
:duck:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

What they have:
  • Snowmaking
  • Cat tracks galore
What they don't have:
  • Atmosphere
  • Scenery
  • Natural snow
  • Low crowds
  • Sense of history
  • Anything else
You seemed to enjoy this run in the sun at SR:

Sunday River 121518 025 DC ACR Conv.jpg

I suppose though it was one of those, "you can't experience joy without a lot of pain" kind of runs, based on the earlier part of the day. :P

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think he just smiles reflexively for a pic. It’s a hard behavior to shake off, excessive politeness.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
This is a tough one. Totally agree about access and crowds. On the other hand I am entranced by the huge variety of terrain options at OV, not even counting the many which have been closed when I've been there. When I think about my favorite runs from last week, most were at OV. Granite Chief is its own beautiful little world. I can imagine basing myself at Alpine and just taking the base to base, assuming it's open.

It's a great ski area. I skied it almost daily for a winter. But it has it's own unique problems which include but aren't limited to:

Vast Bay Area ski population augmented by WFChairlift culture.
Almost certain closure of anything above KT during storms.
Brobrah competition for all and any freshies.
Low altitude at base means snow quality on Resort chair and Red Dog/ Far East not always great ( enhanced problem when storm closures elsewhere).
89 and mousehole/ parking

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Low altitude at base means snow quality on Resort chair and Red Dog/ Far East not always great
Yes, but…

For spring skiing (coming soon), Red Dog and Far East thaw out at a different time than the main mountain. Nail the perfect time, you can have it all to yourself.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

What they have:
  • Snowmaking
  • Cat tracks galore
What they don't have:
  • Atmosphere
  • Scenery
  • Natural snow
  • Low crowds
  • Sense of history
  • Anything else

*shrug* Wildcat has at least 4 of your bottom qualifiers and yet absent your one top one is an absolute boneyard misery to ski. If I'm within driving distance I'd much rather go to SR... or go climb.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think he just smiles reflexively for a pic. It’s a hard behavior to shake off, excessive politeness.
Not at all. I'm skiing. Of course I'm smiling. @dbostedo got that one right.

*shrug* Wildcat has at least 4 of your bottom qualifiers and yet absent your one top one is an absolute boneyard misery to ski. If I'm within driving distance I'd much rather go to SR... or go climb.
I really really really hate to admit it, but you're mostly right. The thing about Wildcat, though, is that on the rare occasions when it's good, it's REALLY good. I'm not convinced the River has those days. Again, :duck:
Honestly I have an irrational but deep emotional attachment to the place for a whole bunch of reasons. 55 years ago:

1710863580859.jpeg
Send him back to Yurp until he fixes that - and learns to press forward in lines swarms.
Actually I'm pretty good at that. I had occasion to use the skill at Alpine Meadows and some Pugs were surprised at how slippery I was.
Edit: I see Bostedo got there already.

Last edited:

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
Niseko: unless it’s dumping and the famous Japow is present it’s not that exciting! Crystal Mountain has better terrain and it’s a 2 hour drive from my front door. Baker, Stevens and Alpental are more fun as well on a non powder day. Plus we basically had to spend 2x the price on lodging at Niseko vs what we’d have spent in Palisades, Park City or even Whistler.

Whistler: Yeah there’s some really serious terrain but the village has become “rich influencer après playground”. Champagne showers like at Aspen? No thanks; beer and pizza after a bell to bell session sound much better.

Give me a day at Palisades on the Squallywood side any day. Or a deep day at Mount Baker.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online