• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Most overrated ski destinations (according to you)

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Create your own top-5.

This is highly subjective, of course. Mostly because of the super-hyped expectations and reputations that simply are not delivered on. In my case, combined with features that I find very annoying.

Here's my list (in no particular order):

Zermatt (Switzerland) - overpriced (for EU standards anyway) and not too well connected. You simply spend too much time on endless lifts and the runs aren't worth it. The Italian side (Breuil-Cervinia) is a great area. Luckily, you can get a ski pass for that area alone.

Sölden (Austria) - a dirty expensive town without any atmosphere. A badly interconnected ski area that is mostly crowded. And expensive. In the skipass, you also pay for access to Obergurgl-Hochgurgel, which you hardly ever use.

Les Quattre Vallées (Switzerland) - overpriced, again. Old-ish infrastructure and not very intelligent connections that close the minute the snow falls. And this area needs snow badly, since only the off-piste terrain is worth the trip. If you can afford a guide...

Ski Arlberg (Austria) - this area needs natural snow, otherwise important connections simply do not open. But if it snows, it's so crowded. If it doesn't snow, it's also crowded because people can't get away from the area they stay in. Lay-out of that area is not too good. Even the Flexenbahn can help that, really.

Portes du Soleil (France & Switzerland) - poorly connected. The French side (Avoriaz especially) is the ugliest village in the Alps; the Swiss side is terribly outdated and inefficient. As soon as winds are above 'moderate' there are lift closures. And any warm air quickly eats the snow away. There is some elevation, but the area is so much prone to Föhn it doesn't matter.

Have fun complaining and debating... :snowball: :popcorn:

Tom Holtmann

TomH
Skier
Create your own top-5.

This is highly subjective, of course. Mostly because of the super-hyped expectations and reputations that simply are not delivered on. In my case, combined with features that I find very annoying.

Here's my list (in no particular order):

Zermatt (Switzerland) - overpriced (for EU standards anyway) and not too well connected. You simply spend too much time on endless lifts and the runs aren't worth it. The Italian side (Breuil-Cervinia) is a great area. Luckily, you can get a ski pass for that area alone.

Sölden (Austria) - a dirty expensive town without any atmosphere. A badly interconnected ski area that is mostly crowded. And expensive. In the skipass, you also pay for access to Obergurgl-Hochgurgel, which you hardly ever use.

Les Quattre Vallées (Switzerland) - overpriced, again. Old-ish infrastructure and not very intelligent connections that close the minute the snow falls. And this area needs snow badly, since only the off-piste terrain is worth the trip. If you can afford a guide...

Ski Arlberg (Austria) - this area needs natural snow, otherwise important connections simply do not open. But if it snows, it's so crowded. If it doesn't snow, it's also crowded because people can't get away from the area they stay in. Lay-out of that area is not too good. Even the Flexenbahn can help that, really.

Portes du Soleil (France & Switzerland) - poorly connected. The French side (Avoriaz especially) is the ugliest village in the Alps; the Swiss side is terribly outdated and inefficient. As soon as winds are above 'moderate' there are lift closures. And any warm air quickly eats the snow away. There is some elevation, but the area is so much prone to Föhn it doesn't matter.

Have fun complaining and debating... :snowball: :popcorn:
Informative list for Americans visiting Europe. What are your 5 underrated resorts??

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Informative list for Americans visiting Europe. What are your 5 underrated resorts??
Not so much 'underrated' (because they are quite highly rated, rightly so), but maybe a bit unknown:

Ischgl & Paznauntal (Austria)
Arosa-Lenzerheide (Switzerland)
Hochkönig & Gasteinertal (Austria)
Bormio (Italy)
Madonna di Campiglio (Italy)

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
1. Whistler
2. Blue Mountain (Ontario)
3. Tremblant

Oh, geez, they are all owned by big corporations. Too crowded.
Tremblant this year poured all their snow making budget on the Flying Mile for the Women's WC. Now we're hurting with Mother Nature not on our side.

I fell back in love with Mont Ste. Anne this year. Just wish it wasn't 6 hours away!!

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Banff Sunshine- Short vert runs and badly laid out. Lake Louise is SO much better. Might be better for locals that know the lay of the land. Still worth a day or two though if mixed in with LL.

Tremblant- This is where all casual skiers from Ontario go when they want to go to a big mountain. As a result it's crowded and overpriced.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So much of of Under and Overrating of resorts has to do with the snow conditions when you experienced the area.
I was going to say, I think people may find Kitzbuhel overrated because the snow can be so tough there these days. It's great if it has snow.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Under rated: The ones that are open.

Over rated: the ones that are closed.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The fact that I'm just happy to be skiing means I don't think any place I've been has been disappointing. I wouldn't say I've ever had a bad ski trip. I'm easy that way, and go with whatever I've got - poor conditions, ra@*n, etc. I'm disappointed to not get fresh snow, or deal with lift closures, etc. But the places themselves are always fine - there's always something fun to ski.

(Of course, I'm typing this as I sit in a hotel waiting and hoping the highway opens, and I'm not skiing today. So this trip has been the most disappointing I've ever been on... I've never missed a whole ski day before. But it will get better later this week!)

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I have never stated that I had bad ski days, quit because I hated it so much or anything like that.

But I have had disappointments. If everyone says a certain area is simply amazing and then it isn't. Not because of the weather, but because policies or lay-out simply doesn't make sense, or because it doesn't weigh up to the downsides or cost. This isn't a binary or absolute thing (just YES or NO), it is a relative score, as it were.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Whiteface NY. Heck of a mountain to look up. Solid concrete the 3 times I have skied it.
In the 5 times or so I've been there it's been no worse than what you could expect for anywhere else in the east. Two of those times it's been downright good. I'll call it underrated.

The exception is the blue square trails off the summit. Those always have solid ice.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Funny. I can’t think of ONE!

The first destination I thought “overrated” was Killington. But I found Bear Mountain and Superstart. I now love it. (There’re plenty of other more mellow runs to relax on too. And, having figured out the layout, I’m able to avoid the dreaded endless crowded cat tracks)

The next “temporary” overrated destination was Aspen. It’s great skiing. But so darn expensive even though I was in a group and got deals. I thought I could get similar skiing experience for a lot less in other mountains. Fast forward a few years with better skill, plus a buddy who knows how to find good lodging deals, It’s now my favorite by far! I go there whenever I’m in the vacinity!

I think the “overrated“ label has more to do with the visitor’s unrealistic expectation than the destination itself. With that overhyped expectation, the visitor is liable to over pay to get/be there, expecting to be blown away by the experience. Only to have sub-optimal weather which “blown away” whatever they were there for.

Temper your expectation. Every mountain will be ”fine” or “ok”. And sometimes, it’ll even be “fantastic”!

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the “overrated“ label has more to do with the visitor’s unrealistic expectation than the destination itself.
I think this is really true. I guess I have been disappointed that things aren't as good as I might have thought in my head.

Trams, for instance. I'd read a lot about the amazing trams in Jackson Hole and Snowbird long before going there. But I hate them - I've never not had long waits, I hate how they pack you in, and I'd much rather any other types of lifts. BUT, those trips and resorts were great. I guess I've been disappointed plenty of times by more individual things, but never a whole resort or trip or area. But maybe I have low, or at least reasonable, expectations going in.

Though I do fear that @Cheizz has built up the Dolomites to the point that I'll be disappointed by them if I ever get there. ogwink :P

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
As long as you don't bring ridiculously wide skis you'll be fine. ;)

For me, it's the way that ski areas are hyped by 'the industry' and the prices they ask that are not at all related to what they actually deliver.

Sponsor

Staff online