• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Most overrated ski destinations (according to you)

SIMMS7400

Booting up
Skier
Niseko: unless it’s dumping and the famous Japow is present it’s not that exciting! Crystal Mountain has better terrain and it’s a 2 hour drive from my front door. Baker, Stevens and Alpental are more fun as well on a non powder day. Plus we basically had to spend 2x the price on lodging at Niseko vs what we’d have spent in Palisades, Park City or even Whistler.

Whistler: Yeah there’s some really serious terrain but the village has become “rich influencer après playground”. Champagne showers like at Aspen? No thanks; beer and pizza after a bell to bell session sound much better.

Give me a day at Palisades on the Squallywood side any day. Or a deep day at Mount Baker.

Interesting comment about Niseko lodging. I didn't realize it was that pricey, yikes!

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
Interesting comment about Niseko lodging. I didn't realize it was that pricey, yikes!

We spent about $1500/night on a 3 bedroom unit in Hirafu that would have been less than half that at Whistler easily. Maybe $300/night at a regional resort like Big White. Glad we split it between 3 parties.

I get that people blow that much and more on comparable lodging at Deer Valley and Vail; but they’re looking for the luxury experience of a “ski trip”’with the skiing as an afterthought for the most part.

If you want a less expensive Niseko experience? Stay at the Green Leaf in Niseko Village. You’ll have a hotel room not a condo, but the Village is a better ski area in many ways than the Grand Hirafu ski area. Annupuri isn’t accessible from the other bases when the top lifts are closed and Hanazono is full on White Lotus.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Whistler: Yeah there’s some really serious terrain but the village has become “rich influencer après playground”. Champagne showers like at Aspen? No thanks; beer and pizza after a bell to bell session sound much better.

The Handlebar at the blackcomb base for beer and pizza :)

But, yeah, the village (and the longhorn) can be a bit nuts. Do these champagne shower guys even hit the slopes? It's packed by lunch, and I doubt they're making first chair!

SIMMS7400

Booting up
Skier
The Handlebar at the blackcomb base for beer and pizza :)

But, yeah, the village (and the longhorn) can be a bit nuts. Do these champagne shower guys even hit the slopes? It's packed by lunch, and I doubt they're making first chair!

Whistler is pretty interesting. We usually hit Handlebar around 11:30am before the mad rush and indulge in the $80 nachos :crutches: . Hitting first chair, we are ready for a break as are some other diehards scattered around at some of the other tables. Rarely do you see any "young'uns" at this time . However, we'll sometimes walk over by Handlebar on our way to dinner and the place is mobbed with people standing on the outside tables dancing to terrible EDM pop blasting champagne over everyone. It's a sight to behold. I'm convinced a large percentage of people at Whistler don't even ski, they just get dressed pretending to and head over to the popular spots to be seen.

Sponsor

Staff online