• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Most Attention

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
car is 1000lbs, WITH a full tank of gas, 230hp , 6 speed sequential.

Hopeless to go anywhere without people wanting to race you, and on public roads, even a miata was friggin HUGE next to you

1593628109243.png

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
2 come to mind for me. I had a 69 GTO that was my favorite car ever and no matter where I went it got a lot of attention and positive comments. The 2nd was a 2003 bright blue Dodge Ram pickup. Gorgeous truck that caught everyone’s eye. Unfortunately it was also the biggest lemon I ever owned. It spent more time with the mechanic than it did with me.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
This one probably got the most per hour behind the wheel.

1006 New England Trip 060.JPG

'54 MG TF

This one got its share and was a daily driver.
Oldsmobile Delta 88 crop.jpg

'76 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale. It had some real giddyup. A 350 IIRC. Great for the 300 - 500 trips my ex had to do on a regular basis. Hard on gas, though, but it was the '90s. Who noticed?

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another kayaker I know, often carries her 17’ long kayak on her VW Bug. Now that too, gets attention!
my daughter and her husband once carried 2 ocean kayaks on the roof of their mini for a well over 10,000 kilometer road trip.
Vancouver via Prince George and Prince Rupert to the Queen Charlottes then Alaska and return.
I was surprised the roof rack held as far as Hope.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What car have you driven that got the most attention?

I have a '79 Ford F-250 it is a piece of shit with a giant dent on one side. But boy does it get some looks. Thumbs ups, headlight flashes, waves. More than any car I've ever driven. Random conversations pretty much every time I park. Things like "Hey, that's a '79 right? '78's had round headlights". I guess it's just approachable. I mean if you were driving a Lambo, there's no doubt people would notice it, but I think people have a whole range of thoughts about it.

I chuckled when I read this but I’m not surprised. I have an ‘89 F250 I use as my trash/firewood/mulch truck and I get plenty of complements on it.

James

Out There
Instructor
I had a ‘69 Olds 98 convertible in the 80’s. 455 Rocket V8. It was pretty quick if you floored it. Esp for a 4,500 lb car. It was amazing sitting in the back seat in summer with the top down at night going down the highway. Like being on a living room couch at 70mph looking at the stars.
Oh yeah, it had air conditioning! That was fantastic with the top down on a hot, humid day. That used to freak some people out, “wasting gas”. No, I’m putting it to good use.

A nice blue color. Two big doors, the thing was huge. Nineteen feet long? Something like that. It was relatively rare. I think under 3000 made. Too bad I sold it to some idiot who trashed it. But it was a good ten, maybe fifteen years before it would’ve become valuable.

Originally I thought the trim around the gauges was gold. Turned out when I went to clean it it became silver. The guy who owned it before, orig owner, was a chain smoker. The tar turned the brushed aluminum gold.

It definitely got looks. Sometimes negative for being such a guzzler. I once pulled into a spot right next to a professor I had for class. The car was like twice the length of his Honda Civic. It was pretty funny.

I always wanted to borrow a deer carcass for a day and strap it to the hood. You could’ve fit two. Then drive around school to freak out the granola set.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
car is 1000lbs, WITH a full tank of gas, 230hp , 6 speed sequential.

Hopeless to go anywhere without people wanting to race you, and on public roads, even a miata was friggin HUGE next to you

View attachment 105499
No. 2: Good day, Number Six.
No. 6: Number what?
No. 2: Six. For official purposes, everyone has a number. Yours is six.
No. 6: I am not a number. I am a person!

RiderRay

Getting off the lift
Skier
20180731_190348.jpg

Not a car, but my 1999 BMW K1200LT. Even though it's 21 years old I still get lots of "I didn't know BMW made bikes" comments. Also "Is that a new model?" even though BMW replaced it in 2009.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
As I mentioned in another thread, I had a 1970 grabber green mach 1. I was parked outside a grocery store waiting for my wife and two kids walked by and commented that "hey that's a pimp car". Made me smile.

Never had a car that garnered pity except my 1970 maverick with more rust than body, but that was pretty common back then so it was no big deal...

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had an Acura RSX for many years; sporty little two-door hatchback.

When it was about a week old I had driven down to Hartford to have dinner with my friend Amy. I picked her up and we were going to wherever and were stopped at a traffic light. Various pedestrians on the sidewalk were pointing over in my direction, so I casually waved back... until my friend Amy pointed out the Ferrari that had pulled up beside us.

:facepalm:

That's funny Kevin. If she was a real friend she would have let you feel like The Man.:ogbiggrin:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Wow, a split window as a daily driver? Would be amazing to see someone doing that now...
A friend of mine has plenty of money but a quite simple lifestyle. His only extravagance is he will buy and sell nice cars and bikes on a whim. He got a good deal on a nice 327/4spd split window a few years ago with the intention to drive it fairly often. Once the reality of driving a 55 year old car set in he sold it (at a decent profit).

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
A friend of mine has plenty of money but a quite simple lifestyle. His only extravagance is he will buy and sell nice cars and bikes on a whim. He got a good deal on a nice 327/4spd split window a few years ago with the intention to drive it fairly often. Once the reality of driving a 55 year old car set in he sold it (at a decent profit).

I know that feeling. I probably spent 5-10 hours working on my Mach for every hour I drove it. There is a reason they don't make them like that anymore...

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Attention? People that don’t know what this car is identify it as a vintage mustang. People that do know what a Shelby GT350 and identify as such. (Yes it’s real) it will draw a crown just sitting, parked.
~Earl J
View attachment 105749
Have you had it on a track? What does it do 0 to 60, or in a quarter mile?

Earl Castillo

Skier, Gearhead
Skier
NorCal SF Bay Area & Northern NY 1000 islands area
Hello Uncle-A, I was the former VP of NorCal Shelby Club (2012-2015) we are for the most part an Open Track club, Laguna (1:57), Sears Point/Infineon/ now Sonoma Intl (2:14). Unfortunately no longer tracking this car due to current value.
its not a 1/4 mile car (Not set up to be). It now resides at our Northern NY home (1000 islands area). Looking forward to Watkins Glen Vintage races One of these days (2nd weekend September).

Earl J

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Hello Uncle-A, I was the former VP of NorCal Shelby Club (2012-2015) we are for the most part an Open Track club, Laguna (1:57), Sears Point/Infineon/ now Sonoma Intl (2:14). Unfortunately no longer tracking this car due to current value.
its not a 1/4 mile car (Not set up to be). It now resides at our Northern NY home (1000 islands area). Looking forward to Watkins Glen Vintage races One of these days (2nd weekend September).

Earl J
Thanks, I am a big fan of American muscle cars. Although I did focus most on Mopar vehicles.

Sponsor

Staff online