• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Most Attention

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
What car have you driven that got the most attention?

I have a '79 Ford F-250 it is a piece of shit with a giant dent on one side. But boy does it get some looks. Thumbs ups, headlight flashes, waves. More than any car I've ever driven. Random conversations pretty much every time I park. Things like "Hey, that's a '79 right? '78's had round headlights". I guess it's just approachable. I mean if you were driving a Lambo, there's no doubt people would notice it, but I think people have a whole range of thoughts about it.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
In 1980 right after I got my license my uncle loaned me his 450SL for a day. I was legit 16 but looked like I was 11 or 12 at the time. I got pulled over twice that day. Cruising around the lake, hitting the A&W drive in, etc. Pretty cool day hahaha.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The S.S. Pugski gets quite a few honks and waves. Other than that, our first yellow Miata.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
A few years ago, I rebuilt a 1976 BMW 2002 in my garage. After the mechanical was done, I got a nice respray in the original Polaris color and swapped out the steel wheels for some from an E30 which I had powder coated in gunmetal gray. Headers and an Ansa muffler, which muffled very little. Dash was perfect and interior was nice but not a garage queen. Momo wheel, and conversion to 4 wheel disc brakes. 4 on the floor of course. After playing with it for a while, I sold it, thinking I’d find its round tail light replacement eventually. Haven’t found it yet. Anyway, I can’t think of a time while driving that car that multiple people didn’t react in positive ways. Never should have sold it. I’ll try to dig up some pictures.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Many moons ago...
20170804_102354.jpg
20171023_180528.jpg

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
most ridicule 57 Pontiac rust bucket
most pity 62 mini
most dirty looks, the vw van, from the cars behind while going up hills.
the newer pricey cars haven't come close

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
What car have you driven that got the most attention?
In 1967 when I was in high school my father bought a new model from Chevrolet, a Camaro. It was pure white and stunningly different from anything I was familiar with. I think it had black leather interior. This was when the Camaro first came out. He ordered his early and got it as soon as the first cars were released. Right after he got it, there was a union strike that stopped everything, so it was the only one in town for a good while.

We drove it around and people would come out to stare. Strangers would walk up and touch it admiringly when he parked it. I got to drive it my senior year in high school, and it sure made an impression. When I graduated from college I got that car as a present and I drove it into the ground. It leaked and grew mushrooms on the floor in the back. I could see the street's asphalt through a hole in the rusted floor. I loved that car.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
There are three cars that I DID NOT OWN but I did drive a fair amount. The first was a 1963 T- Bird it was sporty and very fashionable. I think it was the first year that they had the sequenced turn signal. Second one was a 1965 GTO convertible and it was fast and a cool car. Third was an early 914 Porsche I think it was a late 1960's vintage and the first mid engine I ever drove. Only a few things I remember about it, very small, under powered and didn't handle like I thought a Porsche should.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I had an Acura RSX for many years; sporty little two-door hatchback.

When it was about a week old I had driven down to Hartford to have dinner with my friend Amy. I picked her up and we were going to wherever and were stopped at a traffic light. Various pedestrians on the sidewalk were pointing over in my direction, so I casually waved back... until my friend Amy pointed out the Ferrari that had pulled up beside us.

:facepalm:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
white Crown Victoria rental from enterprise. but of the wrong type of literal attention. you will get the right of way / waved through at every intersection, but you will be stuck and boxed in driving 5mph under the limit on freeways and everyone slowing around you is frustrating beyond belief.
do not get cop car it is not what it is cracked up to be.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
white Crown Victoria rental from enterprise. but of the wrong type of literal attention. you will get the right of way / waved through at every intersection, but you will be stuck and boxed in driving 5mph under the limit on freeways and everyone slowing around you is frustrating beyond belief.

You didn't have this experience?

James

Out There
Instructor
Friend of mine had a ‘78 Ford Country Squire Ltd wagon. The fake wood on the side, could still fit a sheet of plywood in the back. Sometime in the early 80’s we mounted a 3 prong garden claw to the hood ornament with guy wires going to the sides. Why? I can’t remember the inspiration, but we were very pleased with the results. It was pretty funny, or scary to some. Car got a lot of looks once people noticed the front. Especially on the highway when you pulled up slightly ahead.

Uncle-A

Skier
That is not the experience I had with a white crown vic. My neighbor at the shore has had several of them and I have been a passenger many times. People always move out of the left lane to let us pass, cops have waved us through traffic stops, and the speed limits are only a suggestion. In fact when he is ready for his next new car l am not sure what he will purchase because you can not get a crown vic any longer.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Drool: 63 split window coup; back when when you actually would drive one ( even a matching serial # car ) around as an daily driver.

Most pity: 1962 Valant, slant 6, push button auto trany, ugh.

Uncle-A

Skier
Drool: 63 split window coup; back when when you actually would drive one ( even a matching serial # car ) around as an daily driver.

Most pity: 1962 Valant, slant 6, push button auto trany, ugh.
My first car was a 1961 Valant with the slant 6 and push button torque flight transmission. It lasted well in to the 70's because my brother in law drove it after I was finished with it in 1968. The car was a solid work horse, not a stylishly but dollar for dollar well worth the money.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Not a car but my Yamaha R6 hands down.
Not the car, but what I carry in it (or rather on top of it) that gets the attention.

I once had a blue car, and 2 blue kayaks. Now, blue isn’t a well defined color. So most time when you get 2 “blue color” something, it’s usually 2 different hue of blue. But my touring kayak and the car had the exact shade of blue! (The ww boat, not so much. It’s a much lighter shade of blue than the other 2)

So I sure got attention at every boat launch! At least one kayaker asked me at the end of our 3 day weekend kayak-camping trip, as we were loading up our boats to head home: “I’ve been wanting to ask you a question but it’s so impertinent I hesitated and mulling it over this whole time. But I can’t leave without asking it: did you buy the car to match the kayak or the kayak to match the car?”!

She was a bit shocked by my answer. ”I had a car before I had the kayak. BTW, I bought both of them used”.

Another kayaker I know, often carries her 17’ long kayak on her VW Bug. Now that too, gets attention!

Sponsor

Staff online