• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

More Bode Questions, riddle me this?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
851565_490566024390176_309491371_n.png
;)
Thats a funny way to say thank you, they were bad bindings. I am referring to the Centric, not the Neox.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
yes, it was meant to be funny from the get-go :) in a "Now what am I going to do with all these betalobed skis and CarveXCharger RaceXCharger VarioCharger plates"? way.

chemist

Falling off the lift.
Skier
Thanks @Philpug, I appreciate the .... appreciation!

As like-minded technical types, @cantunamunch and I have always had enjoyable interactions on that other site (well, at least enjoyable for me, I can't speak for cantunamunch:roflmao:), so I figured he was joking just as he described.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
So a few comments about what I've heard, and read about the boots. The lower clog is not a plug, as rumor has it that no internal plugs exist for the boots. Evidently they ground down the daylights out of the sole, and bolted a solid plate of some sort to it, creating a solid boot sole. The toe and rear lugs have been routered down, and who knows how that was some, as some are saying that the ties and heels are not solid on the "donor" FT.

I was reminded today that PJD in his Lange days had experience with using all sorts of material to stiffen boots. Fiberglass, carbon fiber, who knows what else. So I think there's a presumption that there may be a lot of fiddling going on......IF Bode is truly serious about this comeback.

Also saw a comment to the effect that Bode is more of an equipment "but" and experimenter than anybody in the sport. I think we all know that. So this could be fun, it that's going on.

I'm wondering how the boot fits his foot. He's always used a real short boot, with allegedly some big punches. Huge inside ankle punches for example. Have heard that, and read it today.

Does anybody know how much Bode has been with the USST speed group at Portillo. My impression is really not at all. On his own?

The whole thing has kind of gone quiet. Speed team flies home tomorrow PM. Snow's pretty lean in South America's spring.

Guess we'll wait for our next sighting!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
He has been known to train at Loveland in the early season. I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

Muleski

Inactive
We'll see. Seems to have missed his shot to get any meaningful speed training in, IMO. Copper is the USST speed training venue; wonder when they'll have enough of it open?
South America is real thin by now. I have no idea if he's back, how long he was there, etc.
Not a lot of long venues open in Europe.

Seems like many people are wondering what really is going on with this "comeback."

@Doug Briggs knows much more than most/any of us how hard this attempt is. I have heard, and I think it's accurate, that there isn't even a hint that he'd ski GS. And I hear stuff like "This is the World Cup. Bode's not just 39, he's been out of the game..."

I guess he could be at Loveland. The place is going to be crowded later in the month, through October. If they have enough snow {big, big if} maybe he pays a visit to his old coach Johno McBride in Aspen. Doubt if they'll have enough terrain ready. Just don't see any of this fitting together from a timing standpoint.

But....it has gotten Bode and Bomber some good air time. And they can likely capitalize on that in CO, particularly with his just being at BOP. Maybe doing the TV work? Or just a lot of social and traditional media presence.

We'll see. Have heard a lot of "I have NO IDEA" from people I have asked .....

Never dull with Bode.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Muleski , I'm not sure I have that much insight into his comeback apart from being an older racer that returned to racing after 25 years off. When I was half his age and racing, training, both on and off the slopes, was a lot different. I'd guess that he has pro trainers so is in good physical condition. Certainly he has a go fast (if not a win at all costs) attitude and he knows the ropes and what he is up against.

Loveland will get their race hills open and have enough b-net to safely train SG, albeit a 25 - 30 second course. He'd be in competition with many national teams for hill space, but the race director will recognize the value of Bode on his hill. Copper has been testing their guns and has a strong incentive to get the speed arena up and going if at all possible. I haven't an idea how much slope time Bode got with the USST in Portillo (I'm envious having trained there :)) but it would appear he has a good relationship with the coaches and team.

My opinion is that he is serious, but may not have the expectations that others might have for him. The plus side is that whatever happens, Bomber and FT will get some coverage.

Prickly Jones

Jetsetting Curmudgeon
Skier
If this is only about selling skis, all he has to do is keep training, hem and haw about early races and say he's gearing up for, say, Kitzbuehl. As long as Bomber looks relevant going into the Christmas season they're set, right?

Muleski

Inactive
There is an awful lot of confusion over exactly what is going on. I've had a few conversations with people who I would ordinarily think would know, and none of them do. Everybody has a guess, or a theory and they are all over the map.

The consensus is that Bode is very much all in on trying to make Bomber a success. And after that, as to how? All over the place. I think there are a lot of questions about Bomber. What's going on with the company? Who's putting up the money to try to make the non-compete with Head go away?

Then if you're a real junkie on WC skiing, there are dozens of questions. Can he do this? Why? Where is the USST on this?

A lot of questions. Really a lot in the air. I do think that most feel we'll see a lot of Bode in CO starting in November. Maybe to generate the buzz for Bomber.

Someone asked me how many skis Bomber thinks they can sell. Good question.

Very confusing. It doesn't look to me like a "normal" comeback. Then again, normal is not how one would typically describe Bode!

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
Well, we all know Bode had perhaps his best year when he quit the US Ski Team and founded Team America, running around Europe with the party bus. It isn't as if he never struck out on his own before...

Muleski

Inactive
He's 39. He has really not been on snow since the injury to his calf at the 2015 FIS world championships. He had knee surgery and missed the entire 2013 season. He had a rough comeback in 2014, after back surgery in the fall. One WC win, I think in the last five years. DH at BC. He's missed a lot more than many realize.

And all that time, on the fastest skis in Head's stable, with the best serviceman in the business. And huge USST support.

Very different, IMO, than when he formed Team America, hired his former coach Johno McBride, and staff. Remember he won the WC in year one, and he folded it after a rough year two.

He's not a kid. I have been a huge fan. Maybe I'm being a downer, and too objective.

It would be REALLY hard if he had all of the pieces lined up, and had dedicated his whole summer to getting ready. Don't think he has/did.

And then there is the Head "situation." How does that get resolved? When?

Yeah, he's Bode. Says fatherhood and his family is more important to him than anything. New baby arrives around Thanksgiving. A mutual friend said he thinks Bode will be totally focused on that for a couple of months. May not be near Beaver Creek.

I just don't see it. As much as I would like to. I think it's about Bomber, and nobody seems to know a lot about them, or nobody that I know.

Really interesting......if I'm off base, I'll be delighted!

chemist

Falling off the lift.
Skier
There's not much difference, physiologically, between 39 and 40. Given this, plus his agreement with Head, plus the distraction of a new baby, plus his lack of full preparation, I'd say if he really wants to race on Bomber it would make sense to ease back into WC racing this year on Head, and then race on Bomber next year after he's fully prepared (and his agreement w/ Head is no longer in force). This would also give him more time to dial in the Bomber skis and FT boots for WC competition. The one piece that doesn't fit into this is maximizing Bomber's cash flow this year.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
If this is only about selling skis, all he has to do is keep training, hem and haw about early races and say he's gearing up for, say, Kitzbuehl. As long as Bomber looks relevant going into the Christmas season they're set, right?

That makes sense, but it doesn't square with my impression of who Bode is. I don't think he'd play his fans like that.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is an awful lot of confusion over exactly what is going on. I've had a few conversations with people who I would ordinarily think would know, and none of them do. Everybody has a guess, or a theory and they are all over the map.

The consensus is that Bode is very much all in on trying to make Bomber a success. And after that, as to how? All over the place. I think there are a lot of questions about Bomber. What's going on with the company? Who's putting up the money to try to make the non-compete with Head go away?

Then if you're a real junkie on WC skiing, there are dozens of questions. Can he do this? Why? Where is the USST on this?

A lot of questions. Really a lot in the air. I do think that most feel we'll see a lot of Bode in CO starting in November. Maybe to generate the buzz for Bomber.

Someone asked me how many skis Bomber thinks they can sell. Good question.

Very confusing. It doesn't look to me like a "normal" comeback. Then again, normal is not how one would typically describe Bode!

The Head lawsuit is a ego thing. I really don't think Head cares if Bode races or not for anyone else or if he raced for Head. They have a piece of paper that says that he is technically under contract with them and they are held to hold him to it. I have reached out to Bomber a few times and my calls have not been returned. I do see that they are reading our newsletters so they are still alive and breathing. I would love to hear where they stand here and what skis they are putting Bode on and how they are going to be competitive. Robert, if you are following this thread, and I think you should be, please contact me. I talked to someone who is very close to Bode's family and inner circle and like @Muleski says, either no one is talking or no one knows anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

This, to me, is telling. I think that if he were really intending to compete this year, there would be no confusion whatsoever.

Muleski

Inactive
The Head lawsuit is a ego thing. I really don't think Head cares if Bode races or not for anyone else or if he raced for Head. They have a piece of paper that says that he is technically under contract with them and they are held to hold him to it. I have reached out to Bomber a few times and my calls have not been returned. I do see that they are reading our newsletters so they are still alive and breathing. I would love to hear where they stand here and what skis they are putting Bode on and how they are going to be competitive. Robert, if you are following this thread, and I think you should be, please contact me. I talked to someone who is very close to Bode's family and inner circle and like @Muleski says, either no one is talking or no one knows anything.

The CEO and majority owner of Head has the biggest ego in the sport. He built this Head "Rebels" team like an F1 team. I assume that Eliasch had planned to sign Bode, post retirement, to a nice deal similar to Cuche's.
But, Bode is off on this venture with Bomber. Which is all well and good until you talk about the WC in 2016-2017. It is ego. And Bode and Bomber are not going to outspend Head.

Bode does not like to spend. I have no insight into the ownership of Bomber. But I sense there are a lot of questions, fair or not, that are being chatted about with respect to just what the company is, etc. It doesn't seem like spending legal fees to void the non-compete is wise. Even less wise depending on your assets.

Don't you assume that anything you hear from Bomber will be very upbeat? I would. I'd take a shot at what their response will be. All great. Hopefully none of this theme that Head is nervous because the Bomber ski is "faster." That's ludicrous.

Team Bode is quiet on this whole thing. I know I sound like a broken record, but this is not lining up to me like a comeback. It's very strange.

I have heard from a couple of people who absolutely do not get the whole Full Tilt thing. At all. And these are guys who I think know their stuff and their Bode. He likes room in his boot to roll his ankles. Doesn't use a footbed. A lot of things that don't add up.

Bode is also, for a Word Cup skier, an old 39. The last five seasons have been hard. Knee surgery, back surgery. Two full seasons away. Half of another. I think his last win was five years ago at Beaver Creek.

Just jumping back in is going to be hard. And it's not something that you ease into on your own timetable.

Lots of questions. We'll see. Good luck to Bode, and the folks at Bomber. Selling a bunch of skis would be good!

Sponsor

Staff online