• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
IMO, watching the making sports history. Anyone noticed she shed some weight. Was it done purposely to sustained the aggressive schedule she took on?

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Makes me feel good that ski racing is one of the, if not THE, most equal sports where performance pays off no matter gender. Tennis might be similar nowadays? How much does Serena make compared to Federer? Then, there’s not enough money in skiing to begin with. But that’s a whole different problem.

Jeffdag

Putting on skis
Skier
She stopped by Waterville this Saturday for the US Nationals, came up to the finish, spent a lot of time with the kids, signed everything. She could not have been nicer. She looked relaxed and happy, she has earned it.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Makes me feel good that ski racing is one of the, if not THE, most equal sports where performance pays off no matter gender. Tennis might be similar nowadays? How much does Serena make compared to Federer? Then, there’s not enough money in skiing to begin with. But that’s a whole different problem.
It's true, as I understand it, for prize money. What about sponsorship money? I wonder if there is equality there as well...

Mike

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's true, as I understand it, for prize money. What about sponsorship money? I wonder if there is equality there as well...

Mike

I had the same question. I would really doubt that a female slalom skier has anywhere near the marketability of a male downhiller. When I lived in Switzerland in the 70's there was a local family in the ski business One son ran the ski shop, a daughter was on the World Cup, another son was Europa Cup level trying to make the Swiss team. The town dropped everything to watch the son on TV and ignored the daughter. I asked in the shop why that was, and he said "the women's skiing is not so important, no money in it, not much interest" I'm sure things are more equitable now, but even then, in the USA, we watched Barbara Cochrain's wins with the same enthusiasm as Tyler Palmer's.

Maybe Muleski or Primoz can give us some rumors on Shiffin's Atomic contract vs Hirscher's

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had the same question. I would really doubt that a female slalom skier has anywhere near the marketability of a male downhiller. When I lived in Switzerland in the 70's there was a local family in the ski business One son ran the ski shop, a daughter was on the World Cup, another son was Europa Cup level trying to make the Swiss team. The town dropped everything to watch the son on TV and ignored the daughter. I asked in the shop why that was, and he said "the women's skiing is not so important, no money in it, not much interest" I'm sure things are more equitable now, but even then, in the USA, we watched Barbara Cochrain's wins with the same enthusiasm as Tyler Palmer's.

Maybe Muleski or Primoz can give us some rumors on Shiffin's Atomic contract vs Hirscher's

As a comparison, Mikela is a bigger (household) name than Paris or the Fuzz and even Hirscher--perhaps with the exception Austria, but elsewhere. I don't think a company like Barilla would consider to sponsor mentioned DH:ers. Not becuase they're downhillers but because of their "marketability". They don't sell pasta like Mikaela. Maybe Atomic gives more money to Hirscher... It's an 'Austrian' brand. You can put Mikaela on the biggest shows over here in Europe too. Not so much the Fuzz or Paris. So the contracts on the side has a lot more to do with your personality...which is sort of performance as well.

James

Out There
Instructor
It's not really personality. Bode is not highly personable in a social/tv sense. His exploits are what mattered. Italians loved Bode. How about Tiger Woods before the downfall? Terrible "personality". Doesn't matter.

If the tennis prize is actually the same now for women/men, then women are making more at majors. Since they can play up to 40% less sets for a match. Three vs five.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have absolutely no info on Shiffrin's or Hirscher's contract with Atomic. I know numbers for few other racers, but they are different rang then Hirscher. Yet I would dare to bet Shiffrin's contract is nowhere near Hirscher's. I would actually dare to bet, number is nowhere near let's say Marco Schwarz (no real names on Atomic in DH, but if they would be, I'm sure they would get more then Shiffrin). Like it or not, women sport and men sport are unfortunately not equal (prize money on races might be, contracts not so much), and numbers in contracts show this. Even Lindsey, and when it comes to this Head is completely different then Atomic and their Austrian mentality, was nowhere near money Aksel was getting from Head. And there's simply no way in Atomic anyone would be anywhere near Austrian skiers, even if you are Shiffrin.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
It's not really personality. Bode is not highly personable in a social/tv sense. His exploits are what mattered. Italians loved Bode. How about Tiger Woods before the downfall? Terrible "personality". Doesn't matter.

If the tennis prize is actually the same now for women/men, then women are making more at majors. Since they can play up to 40% less sets for a match. Three vs five.
Equal prize money in tennis is a thing at the majors and at shared events (i.e., Indian Wells and Miami), but the average purse at ATP events is significantly higher than at WTA events. And I'd bet there's a good business reason for that. The ATP and WTA tours operate independently. There's no equivalent to FIS for tennis, really. Tennis's governing body situation is a mess.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Personality can be many things. It can be for real or created, but has to seem genuine. I guess that the Italians felt that Bode was genuine and "different" and loved him for that. Sounds reasonable. But he's nowhere near were MS is, breaking through in mainstream media. Beeing reckognized and liked by people even outside skiing for who they see she is. That will translate to $$$

James

Out There
Instructor
So did Maze.
Yes, but not otherworldly winning. But, she sang. Are you saying she was bigger in Europe? I have no idea. In US she's basically unknown. But, Mikaela is only fairly well known in the last year or so. Many people would have no idea who she is.

26 wins, 81 podiums for Maze
10 seasons (only counting seasons with a win)

60 wins, 80 podiums Shiffrin. 7 seasons

The thing with golf and Tiger is that Major events go on for 4 days with the drama of the last day going on for hours. So there's more exposure.

Sponsor

Staff online