• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Alas, if I posted a video of my dancing to a recording of I Love Your Smile, it would get taken down in milliseconds by the automated copyright infringement police.
At least for Youtube it wouldn't... just ad money generated by that video would actually go to owners of music copyright. Not sure how big percentage of that money, as my videos have such huge audience I never bother to even think about that :D , but in general Youtube doesn't really care, or better to say, everyone actually likes if you use copyrighted material as it brings profit to them.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
At least for Youtube it wouldn't... just ad money generated by that video would actually go to owners of music copyright. Not sure how big percentage of that money, as my videos have such huge audience I never bother to even think about that :D , but in general Youtube doesn't really care, or better to say, everyone actually likes if you use copyrighted material as it brings profit to them.

Unless they don’t want to be associated with me. Don’t blame them.

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
When we were grocery shopping for the ski condo in Taos, I said we ought to get Barilla pasta for sponsoring Mikaela. Dave responded, "that's a dumb reason to pick out pasta, but sure..." And we did.

Mikaela or not, it’s good pasta.

Barill or not, Mikaela is a supreme talent.

James

Out There
Instructor
When we were grocery shopping for the ski condo in Taos, I said we ought to get Barilla pasta for sponsoring Mikaela. Dave responded, "that's a dumb reason to pick out pasta, but sure..." And we did.
Bode only sold the Barilla bad boy pasta I guess.
IMG_6272.JPG

Meanwhile, the podcast with Mikaela is out:
http://m.espn.com/general/cast?id=26092845&src=desktop

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Pull ups great excercise for skiing.
Better for Waterskiing. Back in my waterski school days the best I could do was 28, my partner on the other hand would hit 50 & keep going. I think some people are predisposed for it kinda like sprinters.
My neighbor gave me a pull-up bar last year & at the time I could barely struggle 3. Without really working at it, I am up to 7 just by doing more than looking at the thing when I walk by.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Better for Waterskiing. Back in my waterski school days the best I could do was 28, my partner on the other hand would hit 50 & keep going. I think some people are predisposed for it kinda like sprinters.
My neighbor gave me a pull-up bar last year & at the time I could barely struggle 3. Without really working at it, I am up to 7 just by doing more than looking at the thing when I walk by.
But then where to you hang your shirts? :huh:

James

Out There
Instructor
A couple Mikaela videos from a couple years ago.

Slalom training. Fun music.

Gs turn at Beaver Creek that's been seen many times. This is high quality and longer.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
A couple Mikaela videos from a couple years ago.

Slalom training. Fun music.

Watching it at the YouTube site itself, I noticed these other derivatives of Eric Harbour videos

Still, I like Eric Harbour’s originals better, for both pace and music

Noticed your ailment as posted in PT section. Hope these don’t cause your back to spasm. Hope you are feeling better soon.

James

Out There
Instructor
From the podcast:

Judy Foudy:
"When you're...skiing...and you feel it... It feels like you're turning perfectly. What...what's that like?
And for someone who maybe doesn't ski. What's... the analogy?"

Mikaela:
"Ummm...Oh my gosh...It's honestly..it's one of the greatest feelings.
It's kind of a similar feeling if your... you know driving, and you kind of take a corner and you're going into it and like are able to accelerate through the corner.

For me the best way I kind of think about it is...it's this ball of energy. And like every single time you make a turn you have a ball of energy. That your skis kind of..your skis are just meant to produce force and produce speed..if you use them the right way.
So, it's this ball of energy you have and if you hit the turn in the right way, and you hit your apex, and you are able to take acceleration through that turn, that ball is just growing and the energy is just getting bigger and bigger.

But it's the most amazing feeling. Because either it explodes...and you make a mistake, you lose all your speed you crash or something, or you just kind of keep like controlling it and it..."
[interrupted]
Foudy: "turns into a crystal ball"
Mikaela: [laughs] "or it turns into a crystal ball. If you control it all season long."

Lynn O. " Are you chasing more of that feeling? Even more so than records per se?"

Mikaela: "Yeah...I mean that's the reason I love training. Because I can just work on how I'm able to control,- find speed, control that speed. Control my skiing.
When I look at the globes, or even the records, the only reason that is important to me is because it's just symbolic of like that feeling that I get and the reason that I love to ski."

Starts at 33:45.
http://m.espn.com/general/play?id=26485486&cast=26092845

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online