• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid Week Bargains for Seniors?

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I always use 'near Saratoga' because most people know Saratoga... the place to be , etc. But I actually live in Washington County. I wonder if they secretly have the same pass deal? I do not participate in many senior center activities so I never hear of many of the over 70 perks. Already purchased a Ski3 Frequent skier pass ($59) that gets me half of mid week at Gore. That takes mid week $50 down to $25 which is fine for me. I also have been eyeing weekday at Pico. Buying ahead the rates can be near $50, even under on some days. Pico and Gore are about the same travel time for me. Always enjoyed Pico... fingers crossed Big K hasn't ruined it. I think I remember there was an issue about water usage, so Pico got shorted snow making for awhile. But I believe that has been resolved.
Pico is alive and well. They have made recent upgrades to the snowmaking system including pipe for water from Killington and upgrades to the pumps and guns. Claiming major increase in snowmaking capacity this year. They will open mid-December. To get decent day ticket rate, buy your ticket online at least the day before.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I am still too cowardly to give long runs a shot, yet. I want multiple short runs to get up to speed... convince myself I can do this again.
Hmmm Sunway isn't very short IMO... I just copied this off Gore's fake book page: your wish is their command, lol
NEW ROUTE! Thursday, you can start enjoying Sunway to Quicksilver and 3b to the right side of The Arena.
Please Note: We are only open for intermediate and advanced skiers and riders- we do not yet have beginner or easier-rated terrain.

Quick silver can be crap sometimes!! I can give you a report on what it's like after skiing tomorrow... we're getting there just need mother nature to take her prozac and BE WINTER!!!

TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
Sunway isn't very short IMO...
You are correct. In the past I would go up to Saddle Lodge (I think?) then take top of Sunway down... What I have my fingers crossed for is Sunway Chair opening. That gives me the lower Sunway, etc to do short runs on. I will get to the longer runs... eventually. Maybe Friday will be a good day to open the beginner and Sunway Chair area. Have a day to sort things out before a possibly busy weekend. Although the predicted rain could delay everything. Hey, it will be December on Friday certainly that means we are getting closer.

Mister Tea

The skier formerly known as Walt
Skier
At my home hill, anyone over 70 can show their id and get a free day ticket, every day the hill is open.

Most of the regulars pay the $50 to get a season pass so they don't have to visit the ticket window every day.

But it's a long drive from the OP's place.

TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
At my home hill, anyone over 70 can show their id and get a free day ticket, every day the hill is open.

Most of the regulars pay the $50 to get a season pass so they don't have to visit the ticket window every day.

But it's a long drive from the OP's place.
And your home mountain is ?? Maybe Catamount?

drewski

Putting on skis
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
skied mid week at
Gunstock last year, good senior rate, free over 70

Mister Tea

The skier formerly known as Walt
Skier
And your home mountain is ?? Maybe Catamount?
I've skied Catamount, but that's not it. It's even farther for the OP than Catamount.

Nubs Nob, in the northern lower peninsula of Michigan.

And, BTW, it also has a free beginners area with a chairlift - anyone, regardless of age, can ride that chair and ski for free.

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
Gosh, if i lived that close to Whiteface and Gore i'd get the ORDA pass & be there 3 days/ week.
As posted in the past, there are 7 decent areas within 1-1/2 hours drive from my house (on a good day) but none is closer than 1.5 hrs. :(

If you are just collecting areas, Elk mountain in PA is 3 hrs for you, but probably worth adding to your "been there done that one" list.
$40 for seniors on Tuesdays, if they have not changed (I did not actually check for this year, yet)

smt <------another upstate NY septuagenarian.

TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
Gosh, if i lived that close to Whiteface and Gore i'd get the ORDA pass & be there 3 days/ week.
What I did get was the Frequent Skier Card... gets me 1/2 off the senior rate of $50 mid week. So I ski for $25 week day and $38 weekends. That was enough of a bargain considering much of my skiing will be evening skiing with our grandson at West Mountain. Bargain Day trips still just seems like fun. And I can still fit in my 3 hour 3 day a week pickle ball sessions! BTW I usually never ski or play golf on weekends. I figure I will leave the weekends to the 'less fortunate"... those people still working !

Sponsor

Staff online