• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid Week Bargains for Seniors?

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
I live in NYS near Saratoga, am retired, and would like to do day trips for skiing this winter. My travel window will be under 2 hours to a mountain. NYS, yes. Vermont for sure. Maybe western Massachusetts. Certainly not opposed to smaller mountains. Would enjoy some suggestions of mountains that offer midweek and/or senior bargains. By bargain I mean something in the under $70 range for seniors (over 70 ). Really not interested in any frequent user passes you buy since most of my trips will be one time visits. Unless of course I find the ultimate can not get enough of it place. Any favorites you care to share will be appreciated. Thanks.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Small mountain with a small price: Catamount, NY. Right on the border with MA near Great Barrington. 1,000’ vertical, from $38/day senior.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I hit a certain age milestone recently and this topic is also of interest to me. Google can be your friend to help answer your question. I'm not sure there is one definitive source of info on senior ski discounts, but here's a four year old list.
According to that list there may be free skiing near Saratoga, NY : Maple Ski Ridge 36 minutes, McCauley 2:24 hrs, Mt. Peter 2:40 hrs, Oak Mt 1:19 hrs.

TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
I live in NYS near Saratoga, am retired, and would like to do day trips for skiing this winter. My travel window will be under 2 hours to a mountain. NYS, yes. Vermont for sure. Maybe western Massachusetts. Certainly not opposed to smaller mountains. Would enjoy some suggestions of mountains that offer midweek and/or senior bargains. By bargain I mean something in the under $70 range for seniors (over 70 ). Really not interested in any frequent user passes you buy since most of my trips will be one time visits. Unless of course I find the ultimate can not get enough of it place. Any favorites you care to share will be appreciated. Thanks.
Forgot to add I am good with deals such as 4 hour tickets.

TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
I hit a certain age milestone recently and this topic is also of interest to me. Google can be your friend to help answer your question. I'm not sure there is one definitive source of info on senior ski discounts, but here's a four year old list.
According to that list there may be free skiing near Saratoga, NY : Maple Ski Ridge 36 minutes, McCauley 2:24 hrs, Mt. Peter 2:40 hrs, Oak Mt 1:19 hrs.
Glad I asked... I will check out the list. Maple Ski Ridge? Not one I had heard of so I will use our big brother friend Google.. I played around with AI searches (different topic) a few months ago without a lot of success. May be worth another try using new settings. Thank you.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Butternut midweek season pass for seniors (70+) = $249 until 11/30; goes up to $299 on 12/1. Midweek senior lift tickets = $40
Catamount midweek 4-hr ticket (flex hours) for seniors (60+) = $36. Full day tickets are free for 80+
Bousquet midweek 4-hr ticket (flex hours) = $42. Bousquet "local" season pass (any day early/late season; midweek during "main season") for seniors = $299
Otis (tiny, but fun) is $25 wed-fri (and FREE for 70+ all days including weekends/holidays). Season pass also available and free for 70+

Mohawk (CT) is slightly over 2 hr from Saratoga but ... $42 for weekday lift ticket ($15 if you are a member of the 70+ club: https://70plusskiclub.org/).

Last edited:

Carl

On the north side of the mountain
Skier
You may want to consider an Epic northeast weekday pass for seniors 65+ priced at $343. It includes unlimited skiing at Okemo and Mount Snow with a few blackout dates, both of which are under a 2 hour drive for you. It also includes Stowe for a total of 5 days if you are up for a 3 hour drive for a multi day trip to a fantastic mountain. That pass is available until December 3rd.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tip for the superduper seniors: Look at the ticket prices. If the senior listing has an age range, something like, "65-69," and nothing listed for 70+, telephone the ski hill. They're semi-hiding the deep discount for we ancient ones. This is from Stevens Pass.
1701286564260.png

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Every 70+ skier in Saratoga County has an ORDA Ski3 pass. Unlimited skiing at Gore, Whiteface and Belleayre for $249. Gore is the closer to Saratoga than any of those other mountains mentioned above. You'll save enough in gas to pay for the pass.

dm

TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
I almost missed a couple because they simply listed 70+ at the end of the child listing. Guess we don't always rate our very own group. Sure hope I can make it to 80 many mountains offer a FREE ticket... and probably a free ski patrol sled ride down the mountain.
:Teleb:
A little disappointed Gore has not made a better effort at opening the green runs in the Sunway Chair area of the mountain. Cameras show they are making snow plus got natural snow as well. I really wanted to get in multiple easy runs midweek without crowds. I wonder if they are not fully staffed yet? Or maybe just prefer not to open then close areas when we get a return to warmer, more seasonal weather? I have Monday totally free next week (no appointments) maybe they can read my mind if I look north and think really hard! Chant magic words?

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I almost missed a couple because they simply listed 70+ at the end of the child listing. Guess we don't always rate our very own group. Sure hope I can make it to 80 many mountains offer a FREE ticket... and probably a free ski patrol sled ride down the mountain.
:Teleb:
A little disappointed Gore has not made a better effort at opening the green runs in the Sunway Chair area of the mountain. Cameras show they are making snow plus got natural snow as well. I really wanted to get in multiple easy runs midweek without crowds. I wonder if they are not fully staffed yet? Or maybe just prefer not to open then close areas when we get a return to warmer, more seasonal weather? I have Monday totally free next week (no appointments) maybe they can read my mind if I look north and think really hard! Chant magic words?

Gore was great yesterday.. They are blowing tons of snow. Sunway has mountains of snow on it and they hope to open this week or weekend- Darn weather is not helping- this coming warm up may delay opening. Yesterday Showcase and Tahawus were BEAUTIFUL it was mid winter conditions and just like being out west, light powder on top of packed powder, amazing for this early and no death cookies, no bare spots, both were skiing like a green trail IMO... and HUGE for me... No one was there!! Front row parking. I'm going again tomorrow to get some more.

TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
Every 70+ skier in Saratoga County has an ORDA Ski3 pass. Unlimited skiing at Gore, Whiteface and Belleayre for $249. Gore is the closer to Saratoga than any of those other mountains mentioned above. You'll save enough in gas to pay for the pass.

dm
I always use 'near Saratoga' because most people know Saratoga... the place to be , etc. But I actually live in Washington County. I wonder if they secretly have the same pass deal? I do not participate in many senior center activities so I never hear of many of the over 70 perks. Already purchased a Ski3 Frequent skier pass ($59) that gets me half of mid week at Gore. That takes mid week $50 down to $25 which is fine for me. I also have been eyeing weekday at Pico. Buying ahead the rates can be near $50, even under on some days. Pico and Gore are about the same travel time for me. Always enjoyed Pico... fingers crossed Big K hasn't ruined it. I think I remember there was an issue about water usage, so Pico got shorted snow making for awhile. But I believe that has been resolved.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier

dm
woo hoo just copied this off Gore's face book page ....
NEW ROUTE! Thursday, you can start enjoying Sunway to Quicksilver and 3b to the right side of The Arena.
Please Note: We are only open for intermediate and advanced skiers and riders- we do not yet have beginner or easier-rated terrain.

Sponsor

Staff online