• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mattress Analysis Paralysis

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Depends on the amount of design squish. It's not the foam that's hot - it's that you're sinking into it. The problem is that most people think memory foam has to form an imprint otherwise it's not memory foam - and mfgs cater to that misconception. Slow recovery foam does not have to be squishy, and every modern airline seat proves it.

The trick is to find a graduated density foam, somewhere on the spectrum airline seat <-----> foamtopper, that is only just soft enough, and where the soft section is only just deep enough.

It also has to do with how heat is dispersed through the foam. Traditionally foam holds onto heat which is why the old school memory foam is so hot. My aunt and uncle's place in Vail have these and I feel like I'm sleeping on a heated mattress pad there. I hate it. The newer memory foams have a variety of things added to the foam to help disperse such as gel, copper, and graphite. There are probably others out there too.

I'm also replacing my bed but that is going to have to wait a bit which is fine, I can put a mattress on the floor. I don't plan to start with a box spring/foundation as I'm planning on getting a platform bed with drawers underneath and expect adding a foundation will make it higher than I'd like.

Couple things I don’t buy online without trying it on: ski boots, mattresses.

But why is trying a mattress for a few minutes in a store better than a no-risk 100+ night trial at home?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Do people still use box springs?

Since '91 we've done 3 homebrew (MDF) platform beds and 2 leaf-spring type wooden slat ones.

Yes. I like the height of the bed over without on a frame, and they theory is they help the mattress last longer. The latter could be hype but I'm a traditionalist. ogwink

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
One of the projects on my medium-term (read:3year :( ) list is a rope platform. You know, for the 18th century type of traditionalist ;)

It sounds retro, but if I use steel cable in a steel frame I can probably get rid of the center supports. She likes the idea of more storage. :D

I'm going to have to convert at some point. I plan on living on the road during my retirement and a box spring will not be an option.

One interesting thing about foam beds on a platform is that you can move and not disturb the other occupant as the bed doesn't move like a traditional one.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
One of the projects on my medium-term (read:3year :( ) list is a rope platform. You know, for the 18th century type of traditionalist ;)

It sounds retro, but if I use steel cable in a steel frame I can probably get rid of the center supports. She likes the idea of more storage. :D
Sleep Tight.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Couple things I don’t buy online without trying it on: ski boots, mattresses.

My husband decided to blind buy one of those mail order mattresses (Casper), 2 weeks after having our second child. Without telling me.

You can guess what my reaction was, at the time.

However, that being said, we liked the mattress well enough (it was a bit too firm for me, but I put a down topper on it and that was enough to make it better) and we're not even divorced so I guess it worked out in the long run.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My husband decided to blind buy one of those mail order mattresses (Casper), 2 weeks after having our second child. Without telling me.

You can guess what my reaction was, at the time.
tenor.gif

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI @coskigirl
one day only .. not sure if it's a great price but not bad considering. (Mattresses always go on sale)

never slept on one but in essence same set up as my daughters .. she likes cushy pillow top. (but too, she likes warm sleeping) this has the "cooling gel foam" top under pillow:

http://www.sealy.com/mattresses/lines/response

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sealy-R...-in-Low-Profile-Foundation-42307451/303093455

this has low (5") foundation, they have some others listed too.

however bigger point is this one is somewhat common construction in case you wish to look for it's "twin" .. Sealy, Serta, Simmons (Beauty Rest), maybe a few others are all the same company and their designs are quite similar .. so's the ride ...

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Do people still use box springs?

Since '91 we've done 3 homebrew (MDF) platform beds and 2 leaf-spring type wooden slat ones.

This winter we finally ditched the waterbed after 33 years. I used the base of the queen waterbed as the platform since we didn't want to give up the 6 drawers. I also reused the headboard since it had all these great shelves. I used the three side frame pads from the waterbed to fill in the gap between the 3 tier headboard and the mattress. I had to prop up the headboard to the higher pillowtop mattress level with 2 dozen volumes of the Time/Life WWII book series. I've been meaning to make a more permanent pedestal for the headboard, but after 6 months of inaction, I'm good with it as is. I don't think a box spring is anything more than a spacer, so we didn't use one. It would've made the bed so high Dick Fosbury would have problems getting into it.

The pillowtop mattress we bought from RC Wiley is marvelous. Beautyrest cal king Huntington. My knees thank me daily for getting rid of the waterbed.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I used the base of the queen waterbed as the platform since we didn't want to give up the 6 drawers. I also reused the headboard since it had all these great shelves. I used the three side frame pads from the waterbed to fill in the gap between the 3 tier headboard and the mattress. I had to prop up the headboard to the higher pillowtop mattress level with 2 dozen volumes of the Time/Life WWII book series. I've been meaning to make a more permanent pedestal for the headboard, but after 6 months of inaction, I'm good with it as is. I don't think a box spring is anything more than a spacer, so we didn't use one. It would've made the bed so high Dick Fosbury would have problems getting into it.

Hah, I first got started doing homebrew beds when I build my waterbed platform, that was in '86. When I dismantled that bed in '91 the lumber became my first stay-at-home ski bench :D

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Before I got my Charles P Rogers mattress, I ordered a foam/latex hybrid from DreamFoam Bedding. That mattress had received good reviews on Sleep like the Dead, and it was really comfortable for two years. Then it started to feel too soft, and there was a permanent depression from me sleeping in the same spot all the time. I was having back pain, so I decided to ditch that mattress. I read the Old Bed Guy website (very weird), and he recommended Charles P. Rogers (although it's possible he partially owns it or does business with them, I never could figure that out). The characteristics of the mattress as he described it, and the fact that Consumer Reports also gave it good reviews made me take a chance on an expensive mattress I couldn't test first. Luckily it worked out. The mattress review sites are very strange and confusing, and so is going to a mattress store.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks everyone for your input. Since there was no hate for the top options I had I decided to go with a Layla which carries a 120 night home trial and a lifetime warranty. The things that really draw me to this mattress in particular is the soft and firm sides and the copper infusion in the top layers which is supposed to help with the cooling and provides some supposed support properties. I got notification last night that it will deliver on Tuesday. It'll have to go on the floor first as I haven't gotten a new bed yet but it'll be fine for a couple of weeks.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought I’d update this and share that I LOVE my Layla. I used to get occasional hip and back pain while sleeping but that is all but gone. The pillow has gotten rid of occasional neck pain for the most part. I have been tracking my sleep quality and it has significantly increased as well. Very happy with my decision and would happily recommend to anyone.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Surprised there has been no mention of the sleep number/select comfort mattresses. It's the only mattress type we buy now (other than for the guest room). If you have a significant other, having the ability to dial in your own preferred firmness is a huge benefit. I also like the fact that there is relatively little impact on your side from your partner getting in/out. It's cool in the Summer and we have a heated mattress pad for the Winter. And you never have to flip or rotate it.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Thanks for the update, @coskigirl. I had to put my mattress purchase on hold and am now back to comparing and deciding. I'll give the Layla some consideration.

Sponsor

Staff online