• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mattress Analysis Paralysis

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Interesting thread. I’ve got the bug to upgrade ours and as one post mentions, when you’re on a great mattress in a hotel, you know it. I like the memory foam concept but can’t stand a hot bed. Wondering if the “cooling gel” or other buzz terms work as advertised? Also, a lot of online reviews make much of latex beds, remarking they have the comfort of a great memory foam bed but are considerably cooler.

I’ll definitely read up on the Layla.

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
Mattresses are such a personal thing and there are so many choices now.

We are both side sleepers

For me, pillowtops are 100% strict no-go. The tops all break down at some point and an indentation is created. Sleeping in a crater bothers the heck out of me, but more than that, I get uncomfortable pressure points resulting in non-stop tossing and turning.

Memory foam is hot and I'm a very hot sleeper. Memory foam also doesn't recover fast enough for me after i turn over so really, for me, they are not any better than a pillowtop.

After a lot of research, I took a big chance when we moved back out to Hawaii and purchased a latex foam system from SleepEZ (available in many other places). After so much disappointment, I had very low expectations but 6 months later, I'm very pleased.

All of the foam layers have holes so the mattress sleeps very neutral (not cold or hot). The top layer of foam is talaylay which is sort of springy. Springy doesn't sound good, but it has a nice recovery rate. You can get the layers in different stiffness ratings. Not cheap but I haven't had a bad night sleep and there has been 0 degradation in the foam so no indentations have formed. You can also tailor each side for an individuals preference which is what we did.

Screenshot_2018-12-02 Organic Latex Mattress - Sleep EZ.png

Sponsor

Staff online