• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Mammoth Mountain Lodge Renovations and more

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
So...I did some research. What's curious is the most recent update says the following:

MAIN LODGE RENOVATION | MAMMOTH MOUNTAIN​

Yet it offers no more details and a cursory search doesn't yield anything else. Clearly this must be delayed?

Ikon improvements
Not even approved, "Mammoth Resorts formally submitted its development application to the Town last week" that was mid September. Mammoth Sheet Online:
Page 6 Local Briefs - Main Lodge Redevelopment Update
https://thesheetnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Sheet_09242022.pdf

The article directs readers to this site:
For more about the Main Lodge Redevelopment, visit www.evolvingmain.com or call 760.934.0657
When will the project start construction:
"It is estimated that the planning and review process for the project will take approximately 2 years. Construction will begin after receiving the necessary entitlements and approvals from the Town of Mammoth Lakes and the United States Forest Service"​

So 5 year plan. About the time they will actually replace Chair 1 and 16........
and doesn't anyone ever wonder what happened to the top to bottom zip line that was going to open a few years ago.......

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Any body got a link to the actual proposed design of the "updated" main lodge? How much, if any, of the old lodges bones will remain?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the docs.
Looks reasonable to me... it's not like you can ever park in the existing Main Lodge lots anyway...
I'm glad to see a parking lot access lift.
mammoth main lodge.png

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the docs.
Looks reasonable to me... it's not like you can ever park in the existing Main Lodge lots anyway...
I'm glad to see a parking lot access lift.
View attachment 180357
So its like a little mini-village at the bottom...? I wonder how many units between those 2 hotels...

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Imho, Mammoth isn't that great. Big Bear is better, everyone should go there :ogbiggrin:

Just kidding. Love the place! Though the main lodge renovations look exciting and needed, I'm bummed that room prices will likely increase. The current prices arent too bad. I like staying at Yodler and taking a quick walk over to the Gondola in tge morning. On the way back, make a quick stop for pretzels before hitting the hot tub.

TS
I

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would look at what was proposed to the town, its the most updated. I'm sure that will change. The original plan was for double the overnight capacity seems it is around 400 now.
https://www.evolvingmain.com/wp-con...own-Council-Meeting-Presentation-09-21-22.pdf and that will change. All I'm saying is that compared to the current situation of being dropped by the parking shuttle at the gondola/chair 1 area, you would be dropped further from the lifts and rider services unless you are going to ski school. The Big Bend parking lift will also serve the ski school perhaps it will be the only lift open in wind holds along with Ch 11. Fun. Also unclear if Ski Patrol will be located in an optimal place. More shopping and dining? take a look at the unrented stores in the Village and the closed restaurants because there is no staff to open. Funny, its taken years for the Town to come to a consensus on an expanded ice rink but I see there is ice skating / hockey in the plan at Main. To me it is really just a lot of expansion of things to do for those who don't ski, which is fine, it's everyone's forest land its use should be maximized.

@mdf I'm sorry all the race kids take up the parking at 7:30am. You know how late you are if your parking at B or C or missed the first few rows at Mill. Horrors if you got up late and ended up having to park at Wooleys. (which by the way the tube park is being expanded - I believe ready for this season).

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Imho, Mammoth isn't that great. Big Bear is better, everyone should go there :ogbiggrin:

Just kidding. Love the place! Though the main lodge renovations look exciting and needed, I'm bummed that room prices will likely increase. The current prices arent too bad. I like staying at Yodler and taking a quick walk over to the Gondola in tge morning. On the way back, make a quick stop for pretzels before hitting the hot tub.

Yodler is amazing! 20+ oz German beers and the pretzel is legit!!! Sharing a pic from our summer trip to provide proof!

Attachments

• tempImage4Fcs4n.png
    tempImage4Fcs4n.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 11

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would look at what was proposed to the town, its the most updated. I'm sure that will change. The original plan was for double the overnight capacity seems it is around 400 now.
https://www.evolvingmain.com/wp-con...own-Council-Meeting-Presentation-09-21-22.pdf and that will change. All I'm saying is that compared to the current situation of being dropped by the parking shuttle at the gondola/chair 1 area, you would be dropped further from the lifts and rider services unless you are going to ski school. The Big Bend parking lift will also serve the ski school perhaps it will be the only lift open in wind holds along with Ch 11. Fun. Also unclear if Ski Patrol will be located in an optimal place. More shopping and dining? take a look at the unrented stores in the Village and the closed restaurants because there is no staff to open. Funny, its taken years for the Town to come to a consensus on an expanded ice rink but I see there is ice skating / hockey in the plan at Main. To me it is really just a lot of expansion of things to do for those who don't ski, which is fine, it's everyone's forest land its use should be maximized.

@mdf I'm sorry all the race kids take up the parking at 7:30am. You know how late you are if your parking at B or C or missed the first few rows at Mill. Horrors if you got up late and ended up having to park at Wooleys. (which by the way the tube park is being expanded - I believe ready for this season).
Agreed. Also regarding Wooley', seems like a big expansion is happening. Drove by their yesterday and they were grading quite a bit of land. We normally arrive at the Main lodge (when not staying there) pretty early to grab a spot. Would hate to have to walk any further....

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier

Actually, I'm a big fan of BBMR for 1 day trips. I'm 60 minutes away so it's pretty easy to go up ski for a day then come home back to the "real" world. Mammoth takes alot of planning. I find fewer and fewer people available to go up and ski 2-3 days then come home. Gas, lodging has to be calculated out where my 1 day BBMR is much easier

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Actually, I'm a big fan of BBMR for 1 day trips. I'm 60 minutes away so it's pretty easy to go up ski for a day then come home back to the "real" world. Mammoth takes alot of planning. I find fewer and fewer people available to go up and ski 2-3 days then come home. Gas, lodging has to be calculated out where my 1 day BBMR is much easier
Damn, we used to be in LA (moved a year ago) and would have joined yea for 2 to 3 day mammoth trips. While in LA, wed go to mammoth every weekend.

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
and doesn't anyone ever wonder what happened to the top to bottom zip line that was going to open a few years ago.......
It probably won't happen any time soon, if at all (this from a family friend that works on the mountain). There have been a number of issues with the design and build that have basically halted further progress (IIRC).

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
It probably won't happen any time soon, if at all (this from a family friend that works on the mountain). There have been a number of issues with the design and build that have basically halted further progress (IIRC).
Ahh thats a bummer. Was interested in checking it out

TS
I

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
This was my understanding as well from those who know. So if the "zip line" was "Alterra's" idea, and they couldn't properly execute it, hopefully they have a different 'crew' in charge of design and implementation of the main lodge project. Just saying. And where are the new Chairs for 1 and 16?

Sorry this is drifting from the original thread, maybe need a "Mammoth development" thread?

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Probably could get merged into the main seasonal mammoth thread? @dbostedo or any other mod.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
A part of me would like to see Chair 13 upgraded...maybe upgrade 25 and move old 25 to 13. Its just a looonnng ride on 13...but that may keep the back empty...so...hmmm. Still not as long as Sunrise at Kirkwood. I can eat my lunch on that chair.

Sponsor

Staff online