• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lusting after a bad idea of a car

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Def. check for service records. I had -- and have friends that have had -- Audis. My experience was great. Theirs was not.
FWIW, I sold my A6, which I loved and drove for 11 years, when it had 155,000 miles and needed 3.5K in catalytic converters replaced.
Your math definitely should include a repair savings account. When stuff goes wrong, it's expensive.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I really think a key factor is whether the prospective owner is mechanically inclined, has/can done/do a lot of basic work...and some diagnosis, etc. My impression is that Eric fits that mold.

Our son is really a good shade tree mechanic. He's mid-thirties, and he's assembled a great set of tools. His first car was one that would but anybody in the poor house, had they just "taken it to the dealer" for diagnosis, let alone work. You run up a LOT of bills, at $150/hr. for labor, versus being able to do the work....and source the parts yourself.

Recently he replaced a oil pan gasket, which the BMW service network "books" as, I think a 12 hour job. Maybe 18? It's astoundingly expensive. The gasket costs less that $100. He can do that kind of work.....which involved dropping a subframe member to get the pan dropped. Replace a starter, an alternator, timing belts, pumps.....nothing. Brake work? piece of cake.

That second car was a 1995.5 Audi S6 Avant, with a six speed conversion, bigger manifolds, bigger turbos, Stromong exhaust. He did all of the work on it. Finally decided that finding places to work on it.....like renting a garage space on a Sunday, was a pain in the neck and he went practical. A Tacoma that I bet will run to 5-600K miles.

The ability to do a lot of work yourself, and to get to know your car, drastically lowers the cost of ownership and increases your familiarity with the car.

Owing an older one, and one that's pretty sophisticated. Not wise. A neighbor recently bought his 17 year old son a older BMW 750i. "OMG, it was a $100K car and I bought it for $8500!" This guy, let alone the son, does not have a single mechanical bone in his body. Not a one. Good surgeon, I guess. That thing is going to be a disaster. They are used to "BWM Dealership Service." We have two great independent BMW techs nearby...... 30 to 45 minutes....and having them do work involves the usual timing and such that you get with an indie. I spoke with an older friend who has an original 740i short wheel base {before they got too exotic with too many microprocessors, he says}. He jokes that when the new ones start throwing codes, it's like the Fourth of July on the dash. And his work was that the 750i new to the neighborhood has something north of 50 in it. It will be one thing to have it at home. I can't even imagine that thing going away to college with the son and living outside. Disaster in the making!

I would not even consider many cars unless you have a good code reader and can pull codes, and can do 95% of the routine maintenance yourself. You need space and time. Helps if you enjoy it, too. And it's a lot better with a rust free vehicle...speaking from experience, HaHa.

Another factor is how far away from home you might drive it. Has never bothered me, and I travel with key spares and tools. I've driven 250K+ vehicles 2000+ miles at once. However, it puts some people on edge. Which I completely understand.

Just my $.02.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Erik, why do you want this car? What is the benefit in owning it? Your imagination must be running wild. Let us know.

Have you seen the chaos on Harlow Hill leading up to Stowe on a powder day? You gotta have some horsepower to get past the tourists inching up the hill so you can get first tracks!

:cool:

No comment on the times I've been the tourist inching up it hoping that traction holds out for another few yards...

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
Careful, timing chain is at the back of the engine. That's a costly repair for the 4.2 V8's with the timing chain in the same place, when the tensioners wear out. It means take out the engine to repair. If that doesn't bother you, go ahead!

You can see in the picture here that the chain is at the back.

1602784622873.png

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I'd look for a CPO Audi. For mid $30k you can get something quite nice - in perfect shape.

Thought: I thought about putting money down on one of the 25 RS wagons hitting the US this year. The problem - low profile wheels. If you really do much driving in winter, in a mtn town, you know that parking lots from the ski hill to super market are landmined with huge potholes. You will be denting and repairing and / or replacing, a lot of wheels - and OEM Audi wheels are not inexpensive.

The SQ5 is about the perfect blend of luxury, speed, and utility for me. The higher profile tires carry me across those potholes in confidence.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier

Vehicles
As of 2019, all V10s in the Lamborghini lineup after the first generation Gallardo use the 5.2-litre variant.[8] They are:

Lamborghini

• Gallardo LP 550-2
  • Gallardo LP 550-2 Spyder
  • Gallardo LP 560-4
  • Gallardo LP 560-4 Spyder
  • Gallardo LP 570-4 Superleggera Edizione Technica
  • Gallardo LP 570-4 Spyder Performante Edizone Technica
  • Gallardo LP 570-4 Squadra Corse
  • Gallardo LP 550-2 Bicolore
  • Gallardo LP 550-2 Tricolore
  • Gallardo LP 570-4 Super Trofeo Stradale
  • Gallardo GT3-R
  • Gallardo LP 600 GT3
  • Sesto Elemento
  • Egoista
  • Huracán LP 610-4 Avio
  • Huracán LP 580-2
  • Huracán LP 580-2 Spyder
  • Huracán LP 610-4 Spyder
  • Huracán LP 610-4
  • Huracán LP 620-2 Super Trofeo
  • Huracán GT3
  • Huracán Super Trofeo Evo
  • Huracán LP 640-4 Performante
  • Huracán LP 640-4 Performante Spyder
  • Huracán LP 640-4 Evo
  • Huracán LP 610-2 Evo RWD
  • Asterion LPI 910-4

Audi

(The Lamborghini V10 has also had a placement in the Audi R8, RS6, S8 and S6. The 5.2 V10 used in the S6 and S8 is different in several important aspects, namely a less robust crankshaft with a split pin design, cast aluminum pistons, and a traditional wet-sump oiling system, as well as differences in the valvetrain - all of which, combined, result in the much higher RPM red line and specific power output of the Gallardo and R8)[9]

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Everyday Driver did a series about cheap used luxury sedans where they bought and drove a Maserati Quattroporte and VW Phaeton for somewhere around a year:

The second video in the series is titled "Bad Ideas" :ogbiggrin:

The series is worth watching for entertainment value and might give you some things to think about @Erik Timmerman .

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
I thought about putting money down on one of the 25 RS wagons hitting the US this year. The problem - low profile wheels. If you really do much driving in winter, in a mtn town, you know that parking lots from the ski hill to super market are landmined with huge potholes. You will be denting and repairing and / or replacing, a lot of wheels - and OEM Audi wheels are not inexpensive.

The SQ5 is about the perfect blend of luxury, speed, and utility for me. The higher profile tires carry me across those potholes in confidence.

Spotted an RS6 Avant in Daytona gray headed WB on I70 frontage road west of Idaho Springs a few weeks ago. Was on my bike so was only a short glimpse but looked mean.
Agree on the SQ5; unfortunately, my wife really likes it too and she gets first pick of which car to drive for the day.

Florida Man

Booting up
Skier
Everyday Driver did a series about cheap used luxury sedans where they bought and drove a Maserati Quattroporte and VW Phaeton for somewhere around a year:

The second video in the series is titled "Bad Ideas" :ogbiggrin:

The series is worth watching for entertainment value and might give you some things to think about @Erik Timmerman .
But the W12 Phaeton is more complex the even the detuned lambo engine. And those Maserati's are notorious amongst enthusiast for their reliability.

I did valet on the weekends before the pandemic hit and got one of the S6 Audis with the V10. It was really nice and a great sleeper. I would go for it but that is coming from some one who owns a 55 year old car. I also would not worry about the timing chains to much. If it was a timing belt that would be a different story. You can also always get an oil analysis done to check the health of the internals.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
A friend of mine from high school throws studs on those Audis and races them on frozen lakes. He leased a 2019 and modded it out last winter. I think he's got a 2020 now, not sure if it's rented or if he got tired of pulling the mods off to return them and just bought one.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
But the W12 Phaeton is more complex the even the detuned lambo engine. And those Maserati's are notorious amongst enthusiast for their reliability.

I did valet on the weekends before the pandemic hit and got one of the S6 Audis with the V10. It was really nice and a great sleeper. I would go for it but that is coming from some one who owns a 55 year old car. I also would not worry about the timing chains to much. If it was a timing belt that would be a different story. You can also always get an oil analysis done to check the health of the internals.

Leave it to Florida Man to join a ski forum and only comment in the car section. :duck:

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Careful, timing chain is at the back of the engine. That's a costly repair for the 4.2 V8's with the timing chain in the same place, when the tensioners wear out. It means take out the engine to repair. If that doesn't bother you, go ahead!

You can see in the picture here that the chain is at the back.

View attachment 112391

Yeah, my S4 had that too. Part of what led me to let it go once the rust got bad.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I'd look for a CPO Audi. For mid $30k you can get something quite nice - in perfect shape.

Thought: I thought about putting money down on one of the 25 RS wagons hitting the US this year. The problem - low profile wheels. If you really do much driving in winter, in a mtn town, you know that parking lots from the ski hill to super market are landmined with huge potholes. You will be denting and repairing and / or replacing, a lot of wheels - and OEM Audi wheels are not inexpensive.

That's why beater winter wheels exist!

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Well, I'm going to look at it today. (I'm really going there to look at a Q5 TDI for twice the money) Honestly, I don't really care that much about the V10, what I like is that it's probably gonna be a super luxury car, and I think the V10 could actually bring the selling price down compared to a V6 or V6 TDI which people would just look at as a daily driver. I'm sure I can resist buying it if I need to. Today I just want to see if it's a rust bucket, what kind of records there are, etc. Hopefully I won't fall in lust with it.

Also, I'm pretty sure the V10 won't get me in trouble, I drove a Bentley part of this summer and while the power is undeniable, you just know you are being watched the whole time. It's pretty easy to take it easy in that car.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The phrase "really good bad idea" comes to mind.

Right up there with the best album title of all time (from the somewhat forgettable Gin Blossoms):

Congratulations, I'm Sorry!

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am not a car person so I have no idea how nice the one you are talking about is. I just don’t want to make other people’s problem into my problem. If a deal is too good to be true, it probably is.

Sponsor

Staff online