• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lusting after a bad idea of a car

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
100,000 miles plus Audi S6. V10 engine, $10,000

Tell me all of the reasons I should not consider buying this car. It's beautiful and has a V10 engine shared with a Lambo. Clearly it's only $10K for a reason. Part of me says even if I spent 10K on repairs I'd still have a sick beast of a car for 20K. The rest of me is telling that part what an idiot he is.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
any repair is going to be a huge % of initial car cost. but if you factor in 10k in repairs up front, it will help

the V10 S6 honestly isnt that wow, allthough it is cool.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
100,000 miles... V10 engine, $10,000
What could go wrong? Seriously, what could go wrong? I don't know that motor at all and what it's pitfalls are.

Is the car booked up, ie has all the service been done? What was the car's life like, what is it's pedigree? When looking at a premium used car, thats what I take a look at. I recall when I would cherry pick trade-ins when I was selling Volvo's, that the first thing I looked at, what was the car's former life like. While there are no guarantees, I would try to remove those variables.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Tell me all of the reasons I should not consider buying this car. It's beautiful and has a V10 engine shared with a Lambo. Clearly it's only $10K for a reason. Part of me says even if I spent 10K on repairs I'd still have a sick beast of a car for 20K. The rest of me is telling that part what an idiot he is.

Sounds like a blast. I'd 1) get onto one of the Audi enthusiast forums and see what you can expect in terms of future $$$, and 2) bring in coffee and pastries to the best local, independent Audi mech and ask the same questions.

Have you checked into insurance rates?!

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Unless you are an Audi mechanic, or have a lot of experience with German cars, Run , dont walk!! You will be looking at a lot of money for repair work that would be better spent on ski trips

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m a bad guy to ask. Clean a spot in your garage, put the $s in and enjoy getting it to your liking and the ride.

I obviously don’t know your financial situation but if you’re considering this, it isn’t bad. Plus, I’ve never seen a hearse with a trailer hitch so you get to take nothing with you! Lol

But it and enjoy it.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
well at least its not the RS V12 ! ( I believe it had lambo powerplant ) Lusted after one of those in mint condition and even the wife said it was ok ?!?
My mechanic, strictly a Audi guy told me future maintenance and other work would cost more than the buy in price, not to mention the speeding tickets that would surely accompany it.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Your insurance agent will love you for it.
A friend (with a lot more money than me) really wanted a lambo. He went to his mechanic, who did a lot of the exotic work in the area, to talk about it. The mechanic was very enthusiastic because he had a daughter headed off to collage.
Money pits come in all colors.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm great at spending other people's money! You should buy it if you got the fund! Audi is for fun. If you want reliability, go get a Toyota/Honda, it'll never die, but you might fall asleep looking at it.

scott43

Skier
I'll just say..for $10k..dunno what you're financials are like..but if you treat it like a write-off..who cares? Get a year or two out of it..I know you're somewhat mechanically inclined..have some fun..do your own repairs..I'd just have a back-up vehicle just in case. :ogbiggrin:

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
My next door neighbor bought an old, high mileage R8 Convertible with the V10. He's loving it. Of course he owns a repair shop and fixes cars for a living. He also says he can't drive it without everyone wanting to race him.

I have a wife that keeps me from doing truly stupid things. His wife was out of town the weekend he bought the Audi. She wasn't thrilled.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier

What year? Will you be able to drive the car in winter where you live? Most cars have a major maintenance schedule due around the 100k mile mark. Has that been done?

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Go for it. YouTube and Audi forums are your repair buddys. Get a factory Service Manual and Parts Manual. Plan to do all work yourself. There will be tool investments....$$$....and an incredibly rewarding learning curve as you master your ride.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Erik, why do you want this car? What is the benefit in owning it? Your imagination must be running wild. Let us know.

Muleski

Inactive
5.2 L V10, detuned version of the engine in the Lambo Gallardo.

I may be a contrarian, but I would consider it...seriously. If you have ownership and service history that gives you a clear picture of where you ar starting out....change the fluids and otherwise baseline it, and see how it drives. Service history, as PP says, "fully booked" doubles or triples my interest.

$10K is not an insanely low price for the car. It's a very good deal price....maybe coming via a trade, etc. Or somebody needing to just dump it. I almost bought an S5 a year ago. The owner had lost her husband, had three cars and just wanted to sell one and decided in his S5. I decided against it a a two door coupe was not what we needed. Had no hesitation otherwise.
Yes, if you can do a bit of your own wrenching, and if you can tell when something is not going well....no great fears.
My everyday car has 155K on the clock. Fully intend to drive it 300K+.

I'm looking at a car with 175K on it. One owner, dealer maintained. Always garaged. Very detailed service records showing that the owner did not cut a single corner. Top quality fluids and parts. No body work. Rust free part of the county. Looks perfect underneath and under the hood. The mileage matters less to me that the rest. Sure I'll put money into it. But I'm starting forma good place, and I can't buy a new one. No longer built.

I'd say :thumb:. Worst case is that you sell it later, and lose some money.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The phrase "really good bad idea" comes to mind.

My next door neighbor bought an old, high mileage R8 Convertible with the V10. He's loving it. Of course he owns a repair shop and fixes cars for a living. He also says he can't drive it without everyone wanting to race him.

Friend with similar car had similar problem. At the stop light when challenged, he'd roll down the window and say "I only race Vettes" :P