• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

low-mid-width carving ski with a race plate

andrzej

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Anyone knows about a low-mid 80 mm ski with a race plate, other than Rossi Forza (Forza is 78 mm actually, but I'm looking for a versatile short turn ski to supplement my FIS SL Rossi in non-ideal conditions). I'm thinking mostly Rossi, Atomic, Volkl, and Fischer. Thanks!!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As you proceed with this, some info: I did experiments with near race skis and wider on piste carving skis for use in "non-ideal conditions" - off piste, soft snow, mild bumps, uneven and skied off) repeatedly over a few years and found that I consistently preferred most of such skis, for that use (as well as on piste, surprisingly), with a plate but with an all mountain binding (instead of a race binding or near race binding.)

The wider the ski and the more versatile/playful such ski could become potentially, the more I preferred such a setup.

For instance, with the Head iSpeed World Cup Rebel Race Department 180/18 (Franz Klammer's favorite ski), I found I preferred (for the use you suggest) a race plate combined with an all mountain binding; or instead just an extra tall demo binding, such as the Tyrolia Demo AT binding (the height of a regular all mountain binding plus a plate).

P..S. Of the brands you mentioned, I preferred the Deacons and the Curv.
But the Heads were my favorites; and next the Stockli Lasers.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Volkl Master 72 and 76 are available with Marker Piston plates. But there is a reason that there aren't anything over 80 with a race plate, it really doesn't make sense. With that said, there are a ton of flat skis that you can put a plate on ..if you want but I don't think it will do what you are expecting and would be better off with a sub 80 mm ski if you MUST have a race plate.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Blossom AM85 with Vist Speedlock Pro is about as close as we will see.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And now for something completely different: who's got the gonads to put a race plate on a pair of Blades?
If I actually had a pair, it would have a riser that approximates race plate height, but not stiffness, free-heel and all.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And now for something completely different: who's got the gonads to put a race plate on a pair of Blades?
The closest to that was the Elan SCX RP, that ski in a 193 was a freight train.

wnyskier

Out on the slopes
Skier
20220316_083843.jpg

Rossi E88 188/18, R21 Race Plate, RockerFlex SPX15. Crushingly good. These just make me smile every time I ski 'em. :cool:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Asking for a friend .... ogwink

Are there any race plates that are solid enough to accept screws that are, shall we say, beyond the pale? Which is to say, non-fixed heel bindings?

wnyskier

Out on the slopes
Skier
That set up is like a locomotive, in WNY, you are probably in the liftline by the time you get it going.
They are like a locomotive in that they cut through groomer snow and soft stuff like a bullet train. As far as requiring a high velocity, surprisingly not. This E88 doesn't have a metal layer and with the 18m radius combined with the race plate stack height you can throw down some pretty tight arcs at subsonic speeds.

But yeah, in the vertically challenged alps of WNY they're good about 45 seconds.....maybe.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Are there any race plates that are solid enough to accept screws that are, shall we say, beyond the pale? Which is to say, non-fixed heel bindings?
Head/Fischer plates used to be. I believe VIST makes some too. Keep an eye on FB Market or @ScotsSkier might have some.

wnyskier

Out on the slopes
Skier

Older Tyrolia / Head / Fischer plates were not pre-drilled, but are two piece (separate heel and toe). Another source would be SidelineSwap. You might get creative with mounting the newer 1 piece plates.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not worried about the pre-existing screw/bolt holes; it's the lattice/non-sold nature of the plates that is the biggest hurdle.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not worried about the pre-existing screw/bolt holes; it's the lattice/non-sold nature of the plates that is the biggest hurdle.
thats where the pre drilling was an issue. IIRC, the old Nordica plates were also undrilled, but they go way back to the red/black/white pre neon color skis.

Sponsor

Staff online