• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for advice about a new dog

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks to all for the recent replies. My wife adopted a rescue in the past so she's been doing the brunt of the research and talking with people, including some of the rescue shelters mentioned in this thread. We have an appointment to meet Tootsie, a 6 year old miniature poodle on Friday. Wish us luck!

I'm assuming we have to keep the name but all I can think of is the movie with Dustin Hoffman. ;)

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Thanks to all for the recent replies. My wife adopted a rescue in the past so she's been doing the brunt of the research and talking with people, including some of the rescue shelters mentioned in this thread. We have an appointment to meet Tootsie, a 6 year old miniature poodle on Friday. Wish us luck!

I'm assuming we have to keep the name but all I can think of is the movie with Dustin Hoffman. ;)
Good luck with the adoption.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

You can change the name if you want to. Petfinder has an article about it.

We thought about changing Gypsy's name but decided to let it be.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier

I think I've only kept the name of one animal I've adopted.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Thanks! I'll read that link.

So you’d call it Dustin if male?

It's a female so maybe Dustina? ;)

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd like everyone to meet Mia! She's a very, VERY shy miniature poodle who just turned 6 on March 11. She's in desperate need of grooming but otherwise adorable. We got her last night and I would say the transition from hasn't been easy for her. She was in Texas until 2 weeks ago and with a foster here in MA until last night so a lot of upheaval for her to deal with. She's hiding when she can and shaking a bit but today she ate and started to move around. She's very happy to be held and curl up next to us on the sofa but we know that it will be a while before she's truly comfortable.

MiaC.JPG

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd like everyone to meet Mia! She's a very, VERY shy miniature poodle who just turned 6 on March 11. She's in desperate need of grooming but otherwise adorable. We got her last night and I would say the transition from hasn't been easy for her. She was in Texas until 2 weeks ago and with a foster here in MA until last night so a lot of upheaval for her to deal with. She's hiding when she can and shaking a bit but today she ate and started to move around. She's very happy to be held and curl up next to us on the sofa but we know that it will be a while before she's truly comfortable.

View attachment 98164
Hi Mia. You're going to get lots of love. Woof!

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The fact that she is happy to curl up next to you on the sofa is huge sign that she will adapt fine. Just hold off on grooming. Grooming is pretty traumatic -even for dogs who are used to it. I let my big buffoons go without grooming from December until the end of April because they need the hair for warmth. Then they get shaved and look stupid for about a month until they get cute again. She'll be fine for awhile so just let it grow and give her lots of belly rubs and love! Congrats!

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks everyone!

Congratulations!

Mia waited for you to adopt her. Now you have to wait for her to adopt you!

It'll be worth the wait. She's very sweet, even while being shy.

The fact that she is happy to curl up next to you on the sofa is huge sign that she will adapt fine. Just hold off on grooming. Grooming is pretty traumatic -even for dogs who are used to it. I let my big buffoons go without grooming from December until the end of April because they need the hair for warmth. Then they get shaved and look stupid for about a month until they get cute again. She'll be fine for awhile so just let it grow and give her lots of belly rubs and love! Congrats!

We're planning on waiting for a while before grooming her. With the dog we had before grooming was a nightmare so we're very cautious.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@TheArchitect , Great to hear of her adopting you and family and accepting her new name "Mia"

of coarse, adopting new name isn't that bad, my wife has several for me depending on mood or what I hosed up :)

Wishing all a quick move to happy routines, play time, snuggle time .... Poodles are pretty smart pooches too!

Mia's super cute ...

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Awww, she is super cute! Although I know they need their haircuts, I personally love when they look a little scruffy; we had a Westie when I was little and he hid under the bed for hours after each haircut!

Enjoy your little Mia - having a distraction and an extra purpose is a good thing right now.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Congrats to the Lotto winner Mia!! and you 2 for rescuing her!

Our dog was dumped as a puppy, she was wild, left behind by loggers and she was only about 5months old! We couldn't touch her head, she had mega anxiety issues, took a while for her to adjust to living in a house. she is still afraid of the dark and 'monsters' we live in the middle of the woods so there are creatures out at night, 6yrs now and still I have to go out with her at night. She is a perfect dog for me. LOVES snow and loves us and has become a good dog. Best wishes to you all! Thanks for the happy story today!!

20150221_153051 - Copy.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I hope you all with new dogs keep posting -- progress, photos, problems, antics, personalities as they start coming through.

With the nasty stuff going on around us, these adoptions are a bright spot. We'd love to follow along with "Day in the Life of ... "
I don't want to steal Mia's thunder, but here's a quick update.
Gypsy was definitely Phil's pick, although I liked her, she wasn't automatically my soul mate dog, until she was home about a day. Now she's my dog, through and through. In fact, she's snuggled up next to me on the love seat as I type this.
60712702564__E8E0FCA8-D11B-472B-AAE6-1665666808DE.jpeg

On eating habits:
After we got her own dog food (from advice from Andy, Kevin and Bob in the Dog Nutrition thread) she started eating regularly and her digestive system settled down.

On walks:
We live one block away from a great trail system to walk or hike.
We started taking her on a routine walk on leash. We practiced stopping at corners and waiting to cross the street. On the third day we got to the trail head and let her off leash to see how she'd do. She got super excited about having more freedom to explore but stayed pretty close and came when we called. I tried a whistle but that didn't work. Calling her name does. Even when she encounters other dogs on the walk, she comes when we call. Still put her back on leash when we got back to the neighborhood.
Yesterday we let her start through the neighborhood off leash and she did pretty well but we had to reinforce stopping at the curb before crossing the street. (she forgets ;) )
EEC23279-0E54-4D69-9C42-054F99B817EA.jpeg

On other dogs:
While on walks, she greets other dogs very friendly, sniffs and wags her tail, then comes when we call her to keep following.
We've had the Minks bring their dogs over a few times. She started out snarly, like she wanted to protect her new home, but she figured it out and is playing pretty well with them, with the exception of protecting her "one" toy.
We're working on that.
Tennis balls: She didn't play with the tennis ball at all, but Mink's dogs love to chase the ball, so we've been playing with them. For the first time last night, she paid attention to the ball and got protective of it with Tule, but we reinforced sharing. Its everyone's ball.

She mastered coming in the dog door pretty quickly, but for some reason we can't get her to go out the dog door without us coaxing her. She'll learn.

She is a really good dog, and a wonderful addition to our home. Really, the only thing we need to work with her on is continuing to socialize with other dogs on her turf.

Sponsor

Staff online