• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for advice about a new dog

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last winter our miniature poodle of 18 years passed away and it’s now time to bring a new one into our family. My wife had the dog when we met 3 years ago, and I’ve never owned a dog before, so I’m a little lost on how you go about picking a dog beyond the basics of either adoption or buying. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what route to go?

-We’re in MA and am wondering if there are any good miniature poodle breeders in MA (or New England in general) that someone could recommend?
-If we adopt, any recommendations on where to go in MA?
-What are the pros / cons of either buying or adopting?
-Any advice on what are key things to ask about the health or genetics of the dog?

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I can’t speak to MA, but I just bought a couple of standard poodles 4 years ago and they are amazingly smart dogs and great companions. They do suffer a bit from separation anxiety in the first 2 years so not sure I would get a rescue. I could be wrong because I bought sibling dogs so there are are always a set of issues with siblings. The biggest issue with poodles is grooming and ear health. They need brushed regularly or taken to the groomer regularly. We shave down in the summer l, long cut in fall, brushed out in winter, and then hang in there as long as possible in spring. I have to pluck the hair from the inside of my male’s ears so he doesn’t get an infection and with my female, it’s the opposite. She is sensitive so plucking creates problems.

Overall,, they have less health issues than the GS’s I had for over 30 years.

Last edited:
TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, Pat. I'm reading up on the various reasons why to buy a puppy and the only negative I've see so far is that it's a lot more work for training. Got lots more reading to do but I appreciate the input.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here's another vote for adoption. All of my dogs have been rescued of one sort or another. Mostly through friends or family that could no longer take care of them, others from the local animal shelter. We got our GS @ 2 yrs (work acquaintance), our Pomeranian at 2.5 yrs (extended family/friend situation) and our Chihuahua somewhere between age 2 and 3 (she was originally a street/stray dog, then a family member's, now ours).

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
My wife and I have done the rescue/adoption route for the past 30 years. We've adopted 7 golden retrievers and 1 puppy, a golden, that we purchased from a reputable breeder. Yes they are big dogs and we are adopting them later in life so we don't have them as long but they are super good loyal pals. A little training and they are good to go. If you do the breeder route make sure you get a reputable breeder not one of the quickie craigslist type. This way you will have the family health history and often a bit of reassurance from the breeder. Our most recent dog which I found on the golden retriever rescue site has been a little strange. He wasn't an older dog like I had asked for and I'm not sure what happened or how I ended up with him but he's a 55lb 6 month old pickle..er...puppy.
IMG_20200305_155951541_kindlephoto-15859098.jpg IMG_20200305_155916827_kindlephoto-15775991.jpg

I finally wised up and decided to do a DNA test as he just didn't act or look like the Golden Retriever they said he was. Turns out he's 40% Great Pyrenees, 35% lab retriever and 25% mix of Australian Cattle dog and mixed "herding" group. He was rescued from a sad breeding hording situation in Texas. Goofiest Golden Retriever I've ever had.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Please adopt! There are plenty of perfectly healthy and loving dogs looking for good homes at shelters or with rescue groups. You can go on petfinder.com but make sure you are working with a non-profit rescue. Some backyard breeders try to sell online posing as rescue groups. Or you can search for rescue groups that are breed specific.
All 3 of my dogs are from rescue/shelters.

7851FD68-AD53-4916-9546-302FEC9BA831.jpeg

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Don’t know much. I’m always amazed at the resiliency of animals.
I remember when my friend “went to look” at some dogs at the shelter. I told her, “you’re definitely coming back with one, you can’t just go look and leave them there.”

Sure enough, adopted a 3 legged fairly large dog who had had a life of abuse. His ears had been cut off. The dog had come from Turkey to the Long Island North Shore Animal League. No idea how. It had been used for fighting in Turkey, thus the no ears. When they x rayed him they found bb’s embedded under the skin. Apparently it had been shot many times. Not all could be removed.
You’d think a dog treated like that could never be with people again.
It took awhile to trust people, it wasn’t angry so much as nervous. It’s become a very sweet dog. Friends with the little dog adopted when it’s owner died. Loves the car. Very happy to see people he knows. Fine even with strangers. When given the chance in the summer he loves to lie on the cool concrete floor in a quiet closed garage.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Many states have dog adoption programs through prison programs where you can adopt a fully trained dog. That is what I plan to do when it is time for another dog.

My brother and SIL are in the thinking stage about their next dog. I told him about the prison programs. Their next dog will very likely be a cell dog. Those programs seem like Win-Win-Win.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Can't be harder then getting new ski boots!
Get thee to reputable animal shelter for a dog-fitting.
Hopefully the staff there know the animals or at least the breeds/tendencies and are helping to match you, including having a dog run so you can interact with the animal; and aren't just fitting you off the shelf. Go when less busy, ask questions

Last edited:

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Good breeders will interview you as if you were adopting a child- it is one of their kids! But rescues are great- got a golden years back from a neglectful situation and was one of the sweetest dogs on the planet. Took some work to get her some confidance with new things though. Best dog I ever had was a mutt- half chessie and half springer- was a bird hunting machine and my boss-everyone will have one dog in their life that no others will live up to, but we keep looking for the next one. Got two cockers right now, totally worthless but whole lot of fun. Good luck.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
"rescued" dogs can be basket cases. Neurotic beyond correction. Disappointing.

Choose with care.

Depends on your abilities and how far gone the dog is.

I had a German Shepherd rescue that was beaten and abused his whole life. I took him because nobody else would and I trained him. It took a while maybe a couple weeks before he totally trusted me. After that there was no better companion. He stuck with me everywhere and was extremely protective of my wife. I never locked my truck when he was in car because there is no way you would want to break out my window or reach in it. I always thought I might find somebody's arm in my front seat. I've had my windows busted out by idiots for no reason as there was NOTHING in the car to steal. I miss that dog even though he only lived for a short year after I got him.

Last edited: