• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long-Term Test: 2017 Volkswagen Alltrack S

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
If you go on the Facebook group, it's almost all leak issues. However the polls that are repeatedly taken show it's a significant MINORITY of respondents. I myself want to know more about each incident, but mine is still fine (SEL) and it's been through powerful touchless car washings repeatedly. But it is garaged and not parked under tamaracks. If I was parking it outside, I might have issues.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
@Sibhusky, I am 100% positive that it's the minority. I have friends who own a total of NINE VW dealerships. Five different people. I asked all of hem if I could speak to the men {or in two cases ladies} who ran their service departments, as we did not to want this to be an issue. She parks outside. I also wanted to know as we're thinking about one, and we live right on the ocean in a wet environment. I clean the sun roof drains on our cars twice a year, for example.

One of these service folks was pretty non committal. As in we have very few that we have had to fix. The other four ranged from two who advised that they were still watching to see how it played out to two who said point blank that they would NOT recommend an SE or SEL. They knew that they were to be honest with me as a favor.

Like I said, my daughter would prefer to have an SEL, and a dry one. However, no way in hell could she deal with having a brand nw car out of service for there separate months in a year. What I learned was that most seem to require more than one fix. And there are many more repurchases underway than VW would like public.

In my opinion, by no means does it mean that a panoroof will leak, or that even a majority do. Maybe it's 10%? It's enough to be an issue. I have bought cars with the "sunroof deleted", to make them lighter, and stiffer. My brother drives an S4 Avant with it deleted. Have never bought one to avoid leaks.

It's a weird one. One way to absolutely avoid ANY potential, is to have no pano roof. So that was our daughter's choice. I had suggested that she might never have an issue. She didn't want to even think about it.

I'm pretty sure than every car we have had during her 29 year life has had a moon/sun/pano roof }or was a convertible. She's doing fine without one!

I don't believe that any of the Tiguan roofs have been leaking, and they are huge. Odd stuff.

Fingers crossed that more remain dry!

Muleski

Inactive
No roof leaks, as the model S has no pano roof. Right? Or am I missing something? That would be shocking.
A-Pillar leaks, bad gaskets, windows, doors, windshields, AC compressors......that's all different and every car can have them. Or that's been my experience.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes there has been issues with S's too.

Fortunately, we live in the desert and park in a garage and a good amount of the winter we have a box on the top. I don't care what VW says, this IS an issue and NOt isolated cases, there is a design flaw in the car. I personally would be less concerned about the headliner than what the water could do to the complex electrical systems in the car.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Here's a website tracking reports: https://vwalltrackpanoleak.com/

And the results of some polls on Facebook:
Screenshot_20190326-213718.png
Screenshot_20190326-213251.png

noggin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Just want to share my experience being a Alltrack owner with a leaking panoramic roof.
Have a 2017 Alltrack SEL and love it ! Phenomenal in snow and loaded up with my Thule holds as much as my old 2013 Touareg for runs up to the condo
Mostly garaged but last fall was in a rain for the ages. I noticed the Pano was leaking in the rear headliner and on top of the luggage cover I immediately took it my VW dealer and they took it in right away to examine it right away. I have had 6 VWs and not one sunroof leaked before this one.Service manager stated the rubber drain hose used in the 17's and early 18' models had a pressure mechanism at the end off the sunroof drain tube.. The theory is based on when the hose is full the water pressure will push mechanism open(over engineered) and the water will drain. The manager stated they have been cutting the plug off and seems to stop the leaking.I had it done and has not leaked since. Manager offered to inspect drain line,for free, for clogs as long as I owned the vehicle.
All in all a great VW and the VW driving interface is exceptional.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
My wife has had her Alltrack SE since Jan 2017. She had the roof leaking issue with the panoramic sunroof.. Turned out to be more than just the drains, but some plastic parts in the mechanism that broke so the glass would not seat against the gaskets properly. The entire sunroof assembly and headliner were replaced, and the car has been leak free since. We are in NE Pennsylvania and the car is outside 24/7. Our dealer is Young VW In Easton, and we cant say enough good things about them.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Almost a year later, the car still is leak free. Since we had one of the first ones delivered (very first one from our dealership) I wouldn't be surprised if they improved the design. Has anyone heard if later cars also had the problem?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have over 60K on on our 2017. As far as leaking, we don't have the pano roof so we are not as susceptible but they are cases where even non pano roofs are leaking too. Other than that, the car has been pretty much trouble free other than oddly blowing drivers headlights, I think I am on number four. IF for some reason we had to replace it, I am not sure we'd look at anything else, even with the few shortcomings.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I know a few people who had VWs of various different vintages that would consistently blow the same headlight. :huh:

Muleski

Inactive
Our daughter has a 2018 “S”, so no pano roof. Bought that trim level for that reason. First car she has owned with no moon/sunroof. Does not miss it at all. Does not even think about it.
Her transmission failed at about 12K miles. All replaced with a brand new one {not reconditioned} right out of the crate under warranty.
She would buy another without question. Very pleased that she did not buy something else.
I’ll have to ask about the headlight!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Knocking on wood, but so far so good. No sunroof though.

Spooky

Getting off the lift
Skier
2017 SE with almost 30k. I love the pano and open it even when it's 40F out. No leaking issues. My seat cracked, but was replaced under warranty. While they replaced that they damaged my car though. Also, every suspension bushing possible started creaking and several needed replacing. It sounded awful.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
On another note, I took delivery of 2020 Tiguan SE 3 weeks ago. Although my 2016 Mitusbishi Outlander GT had operated flawlessly for 73K miles (returning an average of 24 mpg with the V6, seeing a high of 29 mpg on the highway), I was looking at a $2000 bill to replace the shocks and struts...nothing available aftermarket, so the only option was OEM. Although the Mitsu was a great vehicle, I was never "in love" with it. Really enjoying the Tiggy, and a bonus is the new Blizzaks I bought a few months ago for the Mitsu are the exact OEM size for the VW. So they'll go on the stock rims and I have already picked up a set of 19" VW OEM rims for summer tires. I just wish there were better color options; went with the silver as none of the others really struck me (and the Stone Blue is just plain fugly...LOL)

Sponsor

Staff online