• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long-Term Test: 2017 Volkswagen Alltrack S

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here is something from a dealer here in KY. ADVERTISED discounts are down around 3K- 4K on the S Model Alltracks

https://www.bachmanvolkswagen.com/new-vehicles/#action=im_ajax_call&perform=get_results&model[]=Golf+Alltrack&page=1
That pricing is about what we're seeing here. Test drove one today and understand why owners might like them so much. Although it was kind of goldilocks for me with the seats. The vinyl was sweaty, the leather too sporty for long drives and, uh, my particular backside although I'd driven 1,200 miles over the prior two days so a little hard to know. In any case, that's a whole lot of car for the money.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That pricing is about what we're seeing here. Test drove one today and understand why owners might like them so much. Although it was kind of goldilocks for me with the seats. The vinyl was sweaty, the leather too sporty for long drives and, uh, my particular backside although I'd driven 1,200 miles over the prior two days so a little hard to know. In any case, that's a whole lot of car for the money.
I actually liked the seats in my 2010 Jetta Sportwagen better but I am getting sued to these. As far as the vinyl being hot, I would avoid the black and so with silk or the marrakech. After about 35K, I am just starting to average over 30MPG in mixed driving here (70 highway/30 around town).

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I actually liked the seats in my 2010 Jetta Sportwagon better but I am getting sued to these. As far as the vinyl being hot, I would avoid the black and so with silk or the marrakech. After about 35K, I am just starting to average over 30MPG in mixed driving here (70 highway/30 around town).
I'm really tempted particularly if I keep the Audi. The seats can be worked around in fact I could switch out to leather if I need to. It's a different proposition than most cars. It reminds me of Sonos products. When serious listeners figured out what they could do they started pushing the mfr. for more functionality in which they were willing to invest, in many cases almost abandoning more expensive traditional alternatives. The products have to some extent been customer driven, it's kind of fascinating. Well here the car is so fun to drive and hits the sweet spot in so many ways and at a bargain price, it can make sense to improve it further for even more function.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm really tempted particularly if I keep the Audi. The seats can be worked around in fact I could switch out to leather if I need to. It's a different proposition than most cars. It reminds me of Sonos products. When serious listeners figured out what they could do they started pushing the mfr. for more functionality in which they were willing to invest, in many cases almost abandoning more expensive traditional alternatives. The products have to some extent been customer driven, it's kind of fascinating. Well here the car is so fun to drive and hits the sweet spot in so many ways and at a bargain price, it can make sense to improve it further for even more function.
Most problemslike this can be solved if you throw enough money at them. ;)

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most problemslike this can be solved if you throw enough money at them. ;)
If you look at it as though you're purchasing leather as an option, nice quality leather can be done
$900 for the fronts so the car's still a bargain at $21,000, and middle mfr. trim package $25,000.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you look at it as though you're purchasing leather as an option, nice quality leather can be done
$900 for the fronts so the car's still a bargain at $21,000, and middle mfr. trim package $25,000.
Personally, I would consider swapping out the seats before getting new covers. I would not be surprised if some Audi seats were plugand play. GTI seats are a common switch over and you cna match the front a rear seats from one. I will reiterate, while the stock seats are not Volvo perfect they are far from lumpy Buick uncomfortable. I would suggest speding a few months in them before making any changes. In driving a bunch of vehicles before we bought this, it has by far the best seats and adjustments offered.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Personally, I would consider swapping out the seats before getting new covers. I would not be surprised if some Audi seats were plugand play. GTI seats are a common switch over and you cna match the front a rear seats from one. I will reiterate, while the stock seats are not Volvo perfect they are far from lumpy Buick uncomfortable. I would suggest speding a few months in them before making any changes. In driving a bunch of vehicles before we bought this, it has by far the best seats and adjustments offered.
Interesting, was not aware of that. I already knew it doesn't make sense to reinvent the wheel, apparently that applies to the seats too.

Agree, it's worth trying stock and seeing how it goes.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hard to believe we are entering the third year of production.

Did you not think it would last this long? I might be looking for a used 2018 in a couple years as my kids will start driving in a few years. They can drive the Atlas around and I'll get myself something fun with a 6 speed ... (Not sure the details, but the 1.4t they are switching to doesn't have as much hp as the 1.8t does it?) - Edit: I guess this applies to only the FWD models.

Also the special edition GTi Rabbit looks pretty sweet.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Did you not think it would last this long? I might be looking for a used 2018 in a couple years as my kids will start driving in a few years. They can drive the Atlas around and I'll get myself something fun with a 6 speed ... Not sure the details, but the 1.4t they are switching to doesn't have as much hp as the 1.8t does it?

Also the special edition GTi Rabbit looks pretty sweet.
Not at all, it is just that time is flying by.

RatherBSk11ng

Booting up
Skier
@Dadskier You probably figured it out by now, but saw a question way up-thread about CarPlay and Waze.
As of the last iOS update, Waze works with CarPlay.

Also, someone was asking about leather seat options in an alltrack.

I saw on Vortex that someone did an interior swap with a wrecked GTI to have leather seats.

Also, the Alltracks are available with leather (In Titan Black and Shetland Beige) in Canada, so if you can track those parts down, you can make the swap.

Looking forward to getting this car.

The wife and I are both walking to work now, so this will become our only car.

It will replace my 2013 VW GLI and her 2014 Audi Q5.

-w

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Car & Driver just posted their 40K mile review of the Alltrack HERE. They sound as about happy with the car as we are.

This past winter I went with the Blizzak WS-80 for snow tires in an over sized 215/65/16 which not only filled the tire wells nicely but did throw the speedometer off about 8%, when the display read 75 MPH, I was actually going just over 80 MPH. Even with the larger tires, packing the Alltrack down with a full box and the cargo area full, we never hit the bump stops. I do find a weighted down Alltrack with the Yakima Skybox Pro can effect the fuel economy up to 15% where the Yukon, loaded or just a driver gets the same ecomony (18-ish MPG) day in and day out.

We are about to hit 50K and are tires shopping...again for the summer and I am looking to upsize the hard to find 205/55/17's with a larger 215/60/17, there seems to be more options. Our cost of ownership number seem to mirror C&D's, no out of maintenance repairs (other than one headlight). Back to the fuel ecomony, day to day economy is in the upper 20's and we are getting right around 400 miles out of a tank of gas, 425 was the max, 350 minimum packed down on a trip. When I had the Golf diesel I was getting 500 miles out of the tank and considering that I now have AWD and the tiptronic..the drop in acceptable...also considering that diesel has been regularly 5-10% more, the MPG costs are not that much different. I do wish for a larger fuel tank.

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
"]We have the Alltrack SEL and love it. Almost as comfy as our T3 Touareg.[/QUOTE]

Do you have the pano sunroof? If so, any leaks? Mind telling me how many miles?

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Former TDI owner here (4 of them? 2 sedans and 2 wagons) and you're making me miss my JSW 6M, kinda bad. May have to take another look at these when the lease us up . . . another great review, didn't know you did cars too :P

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
Our company lease is up in October and I was unexcitedly content with another Ford Ranger....all this talk of VW's makes me think of revisiting our decision and looking at the Passat Alltrack and Skoda Superb (again).

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
As I think I mentioned, our daughter bought an Alltrack S in December. She replaced a pretty nice 2009 Outback XT. She's delighted with it. Snow, dry, highways, around town, mountains, flats. It is bone stock {for now}, other than snow tires and wheels. Has a low profile Thule ski box on it. I have NOT driven it yet, but her brother {who is a car guy} has. He is very impressed with the engine/transmission match. She feels it's quicker than her stage one XT. More fun to drive. No plans to chip it and run premium fuel....which sort of had been the plan.

She went with the S to avoid the panoroof potential leak issues. Very happy with that decision. Feels that the way she sits in the car she would barely notice the the pano roof, anyways.

Seats seem fine. That was an "issue" when considering the trim levels. We may work something else out later on...or not. She's happy with them.

Very impressed with what I hear. The other car in consideration was a CPO Audi Allroad, and she preferred the VW for a lot of reasons. Price. Tire wear on the Allroad, and the warranty on the VW. She was done with Subies. Our family is, after many of them.

We may end up with an Alltrack ourselves. Not a lot of options and this seems like a really well designed and sorted out car. Great value. Our daughter has also made the comment that the car's interior volume and utility "seems and feels" bigger than her initial impression when test driving them, etc.

BTW, I found the comments here on PS, and in particular Phil's insight, to be better than anything else I found in searching. Very confusing stuff on VW Vortex....probably just the sheer volume of it. What I was trying to figure out was whether the roof issue was "real." I have my own opinions. I looked at a perfect looking SEL, CPO. Navy Blue with the brown seats. Dealer serviced.....including THREE roof repairs, Three sets of carpeting, three headliners, three replacement insulation, two pairs of new seats. We know the dealer and I got some VERY honest feedback from his service director. Our daughter's comment was that she would snap if she had to deal with those repairs. This car was out of service for over three months, total, in year one.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online