• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Living up to the hype, is it ever possible, yay or nay?

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Speaking of Scotch, for me Lagavulin 16 is a hit, but also an acquired taste.

Regarding taste, I gave my daughter her first glass of scotch (Lagavulin 16) and she said, "It's like drinking a camp fire." ; she liked it (she likes campfires too).

Okay, you got me interested, Francois. I bought a bottle of Lagavulin 16 yesterday, and liked it. The nose is pretty powerful peat. A sip on the tongue is smooth and rich, and the peat taste is really only forward as a lingering aftertaste. Quite impressive.

Reactions: Ogg

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
A few years ago in Switzerland, we skied with a guide and ended up in this little town with many of the wooden buildings 3-400 years old. We then went to eat at a little cafe. Eventually we had to take a cab back.

When we were eating the guide asked me if there was anyplace in America like this. I laughed, not this old, but tried to think of anywhere you could ski to another town. I couldn’t come up with anything
The Miniturn Mile backcountry trail from Vail to Miniturn is comparable. Of course the town of Miniturn is not centuries old but the Miniturn Saloon does have a certain charm and a different ambiance compared to Plastic Bavaria Vail.

For many skiers in the Alps the ability to ski from town to town in resort areas spanning many miles is one of the most interesting features of a ski trip. The Sella Ronda in the Dolomites comes to mind as does the Portes de Soleil Circuit crossing the border between Switzerland and France. Of course there are many more.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hamilton. I am sure it was better on Broadway but watching the broadcast, I was left...unimpressed. Am I a bad person?

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Hamilton. I am sure it was better on Broadway but watching the broadcast, I was left...unimpressed. Am I a bad person?
I know someone who spent like a $1,000 on a pair of tickets that felt the same way you did. Good thing you just settled for the broadcast.

I'd like to say Cronuts are overrated but I've only tried the copycat versions of it as I couldn't be bothered waiting 4 hours in line for one. Anyone tried the real thing to say if it's worth the hype?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd like to say Cronuts are overrated but I've only tried the copycat versions of it as I couldn't be bothered waiting 4 hours in line for one. Anyone tried the real thing to say if it's worth the hype?
I never had an original one but I was at a place that one was mixed in with the regular (premium) donut mix. About two bites into the cronut I realize “oh, this is a cronut”. It was really good but I haven’t felt since, OMG, I have to have another. Dammit, now I want another.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My son the foodie got me a fresh original Cronut. It lived up to the hype.
And all the subsequent imitations were....well, imitations.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
About five years ago one of my daughters had a summer job at a cupcake specialty store in a trendy part of Washington DC. These were the type of gourmet cupcakes with big gobs of frosting that cost about $3.50 each.
cupcake.jpg

About once a week she'd bring home a dozen of "yesterdays cupcakes" that she got for free. For free they were a big yay. If I had to pay for them they'd be a nay after the novelty of the first dozen.:wave:

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
About five years ago one of my daughters had a summer job at a cupcake specialty store in a trendy part of Washington DC. These were the type of gourmet cupcakes with big gobs of frosting that cost about $3.50 each.
View attachment 105897
About once a week she'd bring home a dozen of "yesterdays cupcakes" that she got for free. For free they were a big yay. If I had to pay for them they'd be a nay after the novelty of the first dozen.:wave:
Ahhh, the big cupcake craze that existed five years ago. And before that.it was a frozen yogurt craze. If it had been ten years ago your daughter's summer job would have been at Pinkberrry or a place called Mr Yogato and no free goodies for you. Timing is everything.....

Edit: great photo by the way

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
… people pushing in line (a lot, and amazingly with no compunction or shame whatsoever) together with walking their skis over the back of your skis.

It’s not so much pushing as it is a crowd shuffling along, like in a crowded subway. If you shuffle along with the crowd, then it’s not so bad. If you don’t shuffle along promptly, then it can feel like you’re being trampled.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
It’s not so much pushing as it is a crowd shuffling along, like in a crowded subway. If you shuffle along with the crowd, then it’s not so bad. If you don’t shuffle along promptly, then it can feel like you’re being trampled.
So, given your location, when you get to a ski resort in Europe, do you feel that you have been wafted in from Paradise? [I'm gonna bet that there will be extremely few Pugskiers who will get that reference …]

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
So, given your location, when you get to a ski resort in Europe, do you feel that you have been wafted in from Paradise? [I'm gonna bet that there will be extremely few Pugskiers who will get that reference …]

That reference is actually before my time here. I only moved here in 2006, so I had to Google it.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Lorraine Chase

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Exceeded: Sundance! Yeah, we hit it on an epic day during an epic season but it would still be a nice place to ski during a "normal" year.

Still not excited: Dare I say it? Stöckli AR, AX, and SRs. I get the smoothness part; they're like silk. But they just don't do it for me. Now, the upcoming Montero AS? That's another story...to be told in the 2024 ski review area.

Dos-Equis

Getting on the lift
Skier
To offer a counterpoint:
Though I’m not the most studied expert on skis, the stockli AX did live up to the hype for me. I’ve been skiing them this season and it blows my mind that they are somehow more stable, but also more forgiving and agile than my outgoing declivities and navigator 85s.

I’ve been in love. The only thing I might change is a bit more added pop/excitement, but I almost feel guilty asking anything more out of a ski.

Sponsor

Staff online