• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Living up to the hype, is it ever possible, yay or nay?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Yes, those enormous differences in wealth are everywhere. So true. We have to pick our fights, if we choose to fight. Expend the capital where it delivers results. I'm not expending much capital by posting on this topic, and there probably isn't any payload being delivered. Just having fun.

Back to luxury ski wear. This performance tech shell referenced in the link below is listed in the Gorsuch catalog a $1,398.00. It's a shell. Here are its specs as listed in the catalog. The brand here is Frauenschuh. I think this outdoes Arcteryx for price. Buyers are paying for the luxury brand and its look in addition to the features of the jacket. Notice it doesn't have any fur. Nor pit zips, I guess. I hope it has taped seams.
• handcrafted
• limited edition
• performance ski, 3-layer shell
• hidden tec hood, zips into collar
• ergonomic sleeves
• two zip front pockets with fleece lining, ski pass pocket
• waterproof and breathable
• made in austria
https://www.gorsuch.com/mathilda-performance-shell-ski-jacket/p/112.0011

Last edited:

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Yes, those enormous differences in wealth are everywhere. So true. We have to pick our fights, if we choose to fight. Expend the capital where it delivers results. I'm not expending much capital by posting on this topic, and there probably isn't any payload being delivered. Just having fun.

Back to luxury ski wear. This performance tech shell is listed in the Gorsuch catalog a $1,398.00. It's a shell. Here are its specs. The brand here is FRAUENSCHUH. I think this outdoes Arcteryx for price. One is paying for the luxury brand in addition to the features of the jacket. Notice it doesn't have any fur. Nor pit zips, I guess. I hope it has taped seams.
• handcrafted
• limited edition
• performance ski, 3-layer shell
• hidden tec hood, zips into collar
• ergonomic sleeves
• two zip front pockets with fleece lining, ski pass pocket
• waterproof and breathable
• made in austria
https://www.gorsuch.com/mathilda-performance-shell-ski-jacket/p/112.0011
Ooof that is a costly jacket.. Be sure and let us know how that jacket performs.

By the way, I noticed these bogner pants are on sale. Actually reasonable priced as far as ski pants go. Here is your chance to own a Bogner piece.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Here's a similar one for men, the same brand. Similar specs. $1,598.00

These luxury softgoods can be found on sale at significantly lower prices right now, if anyone is interested. I've highlighted the ones in the Gorsuch catalog that are not on sale, to make my point, which was so far backthread that I'm not sure what it was any more.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Ooof that is a costly jacket.. Be sure and let us know how that jacket performs.

By the way, I noticed these bogner pants are on sale. Actually reasonable priced as far as ski pants go. Here is your chance to own a Bogner piece.

I've got one! Mine's black, sorta stretch, fits amazingly, and is quite warm. It's like magic. I don't have to wear the layers beneath it that I usually do for non-insulated pants. That's where this thread drift topic got started. I paid $4.00 for mine at a thrift shop.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
^^Can't remember how I dealt with the zipper pulls. I may have covered them up with black gorilla tape.

Why bother to remove the emblems of the brand from these ski pants? Because I don't want to be identified as a person who an afford Bogner skiwear. Those prices are way beyond my budgetary restrictions. Nor do I want to be identified by other instructors in my ski school as a person who wants to be thought of as belonging to that social group.

There is a notable number of wealthy people who frequent my mountain. Often they can be identified by their clothing, especially the women, but not always. Many of them belong to a private club that has its own lodge next to the regular-people lodge. The "public" cannot go in that lodge. They enjoy valet parking, they get early lift privileges a half hour before the mountain opens, and they have a separate line for themselves at the gondola that eliminates the wait. I'm fine with that. The mountain benefits from their revenue.

I'm firmly not in the 1% and very OK with that too. Those Bs had to go.
View attachment 105485
LOL, I've never thought too much about clothing as an indicator of weallth (I did buy the best Arcteryx Ski pants I could find, but not to appear wealthy), and what the positive or negative effects of appearing to be rich were. Enlighten me, what are the negative's of appearing richer than you are (other being left with the bar tab which you can't afford). Do non-rich folks discriminate against rich folk? Do rich people get offended when non-rich folk dress like them? What?

If I liked the look of a jacket, I would wear it, if I didn't I wouldn't, brand name be damned. From what I can recall of '70s, Bogner was a brand that made clothing for women and the joke was the design was to produce it's namesake (with a silent g) in men. Have no clue if that still applies.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
LOL, I've never thought too much about clothing as an indicator of weallth (I did buy the best Arcteryx Ski pants I could find, but not to appear wealthy), and what the positive or negative effects of appearing to be rich were. Enlighten me, what are the negative's of appearing richer than you are (other being left with the bar tab which you can't afford). Do non-rich folks discriminate against rich folk? Do rich people get offended when non-rich folk dress like them? What?

If I liked the look of a jacket, I would wear it, if I didn't I wouldn't, brand name be damned. From what I can recall of '70s, Bogner was a brand that made clothing for women and the joke was the design was to produce it's namesake (with a silent g) in men. Have no clue if that still applies.
The fact that @LiquidFeet is an instructor and they rely on tips, it probably is not a good idea to display signs of wealth. The tips might not be as good if the clients perceive an abundance of wealth.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
^^No no that's not it. I don't want to be thought of by my peers as "puttin on airs." It's just a thing.

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I saw some exceptionally well-fitted stretch one-piece suits on the snow and on the decks in Switzerland this year

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have to give a big NAY to a business called Edible Arrangements. They make what looks like floral arrangements but it is made with fruit. I used to being them to a friends home if I was invited for dinner along with some wine. I ordered large arrangement for my nice that had invited us for dinner. When I went to pick it up it was such a disappointment I was shocked. But it was near the holiday and could not do anything about it. The following Monday I tried to contact corporate headquarters about the issue and all they did was referred it back to the store I was complaining about and I never was contacted by that store. Needless to say I stopped doing business with that chain and I never went back.

The other day for the 4th of July my daughter ordered on line from a different store in the chain and based on what was listed as what was in the arrangement she picked one of the best ones available. When she picked it up it only had maybe half of the types of fruit listed on the company website. So now both my daughter and I have been burned by this business. Never again will that business ever get a dollar of our money. That chain is a big NAY as far as my family is concerned.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hits:
  • 2-week vacation in Kruger Park South Africa. "Bush walks", daytime drives, night jeep rides -- so many animals to see. Watched a lion pride kill a buffalo and eat it -- then the hyenas, then the jackals, then the vultures got to eat. Was close enough to hear the bones crunching as the hyenas ate. TRIP OF A LIFETIME
  • Plastic buckle ski boots. Leaps and bounds better than lace up leather.
  • 1st time "doing it" -- yes, very special and wonderful.
  • Paragliding. Soaring solo above the earth with nothing but fabric holding me up. Sublime
  • Grandkids!!!!
  • Morphine. I felt like going out for a few more runs just seconds after the needle hit me. (When I broke my hip.) That stuff works wonders.

Misses:
  • Amusement theme parks. Even with grandkids
  • Live music concerts. I'd rather listen to the album
  • Water sports
  • Basketball

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
@pchewn - agree with you on African safari (photo, not hunting). Definitely a top vacation and not something you can replicate anywhere else.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
2-week vacation in Kruger Park South Africa. "Bush walks", daytime drives, night jeep rides -- so many animals to see. Watched a lion pride kill a buffalo and eat it -- then the hyenas, then the jackals, then the vultures got to eat. Was close enough to hear the bones crunching as the hyenas ate. TRIP OF A LIFETIME
Thanks! I've been mulling over travel ideas for when we're finally out of time-out and was thinking about Africa. This sounds like one I should look into.

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Over-hyped: skydiving

Under-hyped: skiing in the alps

I can't agree with you re; the sky diving.
I did it 35 yrs ago before tandem sky diving took off (see what I did there)
Jumping out of a plane by yourself, on a static line,using big round ex army parachutes that you've helped to pack ,is an absolutely adrenaline fueled blast.
Hoping to do the Alps in the next couple of years

James

Out There
Instructor
Hoping to do the Alps in the next couple of years
I don’t think you’ll have an issue, but some people dislike the Alps. It’s different, you need somewhat different expectations. You also need some tolerance for above treeline skiing and fog.
I think it’s hard to beat the efficiency of North American skiing. That’s where some have an issue with the Alps.
A few years ago in Switzerland, we skied with a guide and ended up in this little town with many of the wooden buildings 3-400 years old. We then went to eat at a little cafe. Eventually we had to take a cab back.

When we were eating the guide asked me if there was anyplace in America like this. I laughed, not this old, but tried to think of anywhere you could ski to another town. I couldn’t come up with anything.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
It’s different, you need somewhat different expectations. You also need some tolerance for
… people pushing in line (a lot, and amazingly with no compunction or shame whatsoever) together with walking their skis over the back of your skis. But, having said that, Zermatt/Cervina and Kleine Scheidegg were both pretty darned good when I went there, while Saas Fee was very interesting on the "little town with many of the wooden buildings 3-400 years old" front but I wasn't blown away by the skiing.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Misses:
Laphroaig Scotch - I like a little peat, but this is ridiculous
caviar - who ate this first, and thought it was good?
IMHO both of these must be an acquired taste and to that category ... let me add:
MIss: Hawaiin Poi ... eeewww disgusting and fattening! Why?

This is my favorite musical of all. The music is fantastic, and the plot is timeless.
Absolutely! How can you not love Westside Story!

In this category: Miss: Rent. Great music but horrible staging. It was rushed to Broadway when the writer died of AIDS and they never worked out all the kinks in the first half of the show. The second half does kick butt!

I was way down on Hamilton before we went. Too much hype, too much acclaim, too many teen-age girls swooning.
Then we bought the CD to listen before we went, and I began to think, "hmmm.... maybe it'll be OK".
When we finally went.... it blew me away. Inventive, compelling, fully engaging. My bad.
One of the best soundtracks I have ever heard. I haven't seen it because:
Miss: The cost of theater tickets has become prohibitive for the average American. Why close off the art form to more than 75% of the population?

living up to the hype:
natural childbirth with helpful husband feeding you ice chips

falling short:
being a mother those first two years

Hit: Good drugs during childbirth and 12 hours of labor!
Miss: Colic during the first 3 months!

HITS:
Paris - ooh, la la! And everyone was so friendly everywhere we went (which was unexpected)! AND... the food ... and the wine... and the sights to see!
Skis over 110 waist that enable me to ski powder when normally I just suck.
Kawaii, HI - paradise on earth everywhere I went. I spent an amazing summer there once upon a time.
Shaped Skis - they completely changed the dynamic and catapulted me forward's. At 5'2" ... I was thrilled to get on a short ski.

MISSES:
Breckenridge ... sorry, but I was just felt the skiing was meh; probably partly due to the crowds on a Friday.
The Grand Canyon ... I love national parks and I love camping ... but it was just a giant hole in the ground.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yays:
Getting married, kids, skiing Canada, season in a Canadian ski resort, grand kid.... Oh shoot, lots of great stuff.

Nays:
Not many. STÖCKLI AX sure were.

Sponsor

Staff online