• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Liftopia's Top 10?

James

Out There
Instructor
Pass the crack pipe?
I suppose if you lop off the top 3 the list isn't so bad.
Though I love Magic, I'd never recommend someone going there without a page worth of "buts" which would likely take it off the table. For one, snow.

For 2019:
Top Overall Ski Areas in North America

• #1 Magic Mountain, VT
  • #2 Titus Mountain, NY
  • #3 Mad River Glen, VT
  • #4 Alta, UT
  • #5 Powder Mountain, UT
  • #6 Grand Targhee, WY
  • #7 Snowbird, UT
  • #8 Jackson Hole, WY
  • #9 Jay Peak, VT
  • #10 Big Sky, MT
https://bestinsnow.liftopia.com/winners/north-america/overall/

-----------------
The 2019 Best in Snow Awards, Powered By Liftopia, is the first and only list that ranks the best ski areas in North America.

This list is based on feedback from thousands of skiers and snowboarders, combined with Liftopia's proprietary dataset (which levels the playing field between big and small resorts), to uncover the true top ski areas across North America, based on what matters most to consumers.
------------------------
https://bestinsnow.liftopia.com/methodology/

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, it must be right because they have a secret algorithm, just like Z-rankings.

Digging a little deeper into regions and categories on their website, they list the two most challenging areas in the country as Magic Mountain and Bald Mountain In Idaho (appears they are talking about the 800' bump Bald Mountain area in central Idaho and not Bald Mountain at Sun Valley). Magic Mountain is also listed as first in snow consistency and quality.

Ridiculous, even worse than Z-rankings.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Magic Mountain is also listed as first in snow consistency and quality.
Truly laughable. Hopefully one day they'll get there, but only the most biased coupled with a ridiculous algorythm could come up with that.

I remember going to Magic after like a 20 inch dump a day before. Of course it's VT so it's accompanied by huge wind. One trail at the top from the traverse was 99% bare.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
I love Magic and yes, it has consistent snow quality:
20190309_122047.jpg
consistently icy - 3-9-2019 - Magician closed - what a mess - Bromley in the background

20190317_094548.jpg
one week later at Magic, 3-17-2019, more consistent snow conditions

Magic does not even have the best snow conditions between Bromley and Stratton, let alone the entire country.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
You can take Mad River off the list, too. If it does not snow, Mad River does not open.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
From the posted results, likely they used a two part secret algorithm.
Part 1 - Dart board.

81UWKxRLnrL._SX425_.jpg

Parts 2 - Rocks.

pexels-photo-1029604.jpeg

Whatever sticks.:nono:

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's like taking a fan poll of which sports team is best... the team that promotes it most and has some crazy fans drumming up votes wins. Same thing here. Just a fun poll with no pretense (IMO) of being real reasonable rankings.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Magic is a blast but as James pointed out that's providing it has snow. Kudos to them for rebuilding the place back to what it was. The addition of Green and replacement of Black along with a Carpet (beginner lift I believe) were much needed. Nice to see the "Golden Triangle" back in play.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass the crack pipe?
I suppose if you lop off the top 3 the list isn't so bad.
Though I love Magic, I'd never recommend someone going there without a page worth of "buts" which would likely take it off the table. For one, snow.

For 2019:
Top Overall Ski Areas in North America

• #1 Magic Mountain, VT
  • #2 Titus Mountain, NY
  • #3 Mad River Glen, VT
  • #4 Alta, UT
  • #5 Powder Mountain, UT
  • #6 Grand Targhee, WY
  • #7 Snowbird, UT
  • #8 Jackson Hole, WY
  • #9 Jay Peak, VT
  • #10 Big Sky, MT
https://bestinsnow.liftopia.com/winners/north-america/overall/

-----------------
The 2019 Best in Snow Awards, Powered By Liftopia, is the first and only list that ranks the best ski areas in North America.

This list is based on feedback from thousands of skiers and snowboarders, combined with Liftopia's proprietary dataset (which levels the playing field between big and small resorts), to uncover the true top ski areas across North America, based on what matters most to consumers.
------------------------
https://bestinsnow.liftopia.com/methodology/
Somehow Vermont has learnt to game this sort of thing. Remember when Springfield, VT claimed the title of being the real Springfield in "The Simpsons" when it was actually in Oregon all along.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
You can take Mad River off the list, too. If it does not snow, Mad River does not open.
Well they’re consistent about that, so the proprietary algorithm must weight that heavily. The magician behind the curtain, aka proprietary algorithm, is a few dudes who’ve gotten really baked and are slamming 7% micro brews.

Still waiting for someone who's skied Titus Mt. Looks fun. Considering there instead of Taos.

Family-Friendly Skiing in the Adirondacks.
Voted #2 Best Overall Resort in North America (2019)

https://www.titusmountain.com/

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well they’re consistent about that, so the proprietary algorithm must weight that heavily. The magician behind the curtain, aka proprietary algorithm, is a few dudes who’ve gotten really baked and are slamming 7% micro brews.

Still waiting for someone who's skied Titus Mt. Looks fun. Considering there instead of Taos.

Family-Friendly Skiing in the Adirondacks.
Voted #2 Best Overall Resort in North America (2019)

https://www.titusmountain.com/

640 vertical feet? I'll cancel my flight to New Mexico!

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I have come to believe that any overall ranking of ski resorts is an exercise in futility because different people have different priorities and preferences. Some people prioritize challenge and vertical, some prioritize snow quality and/or quantity, some prefer manicured groomed terrain, others prefer accessibility, others après-ski, lack of crowds, size, etc. The list goes on. An overall ranking just seems so futile given such strong differences in personal preference for various attributes/categories.

I could see attempting to make rankings for various categories like snow quality, crowds, challenge, etc. Even that has its inherent issues, but at least that seems a little more manageable than some absolute ranking and doing this would seem to be of greater utility to people because based on their preferences they could get some ideas based on category rankings.

For those that love rankings, what is it about that you like about them? Is it because you have your own strong opinions so you like to see where resorts land relative to your rankings? Is it to get new ideas where to ski? To me, it just seems so much easier to try and figure out the attributes that you personally prefer and do the research to match your preference. It's no different than trying to rank cities. For some, NYC is hands down #1, and for others it would be last on the list. When I was younger I used to love rankings. As if they somehow validated my choices and it gave me some false pretext that the process was really analytical and therefore useful and carried weight. But as I said, I have now come to believe that blanket overall ratings of most things are futile due to individual differences in personal preference.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have come to believe that any overall ranking of ski resorts is an exercise in futility because different people have different priorities and preferences. Some people prioritize challenge and vertical, some prioritize snow quality and/or quantity, some prefer manicured groomed terrain, others prefer accessibility, others après-ski, lack of crowds, size, etc. The list goes on. An overall ranking just seems so futile given such strong differences in personal preference for various attributes/categories.

I could see attempting to make rankings for various categories like snow quality, crowds, challenge, etc. Even that has its inherent issues, but at least that seems a little more manageable than some absolute ranking and doing this would seem to be of greater utility to people because based on their preferences they could get some ideas based on category rankings.

For those that love rankings, what is it about that you like about them? Is it because you have your own strong opinions so you like to see where resorts land relative to your rankings? Is it to get new ideas where to ski? To me, it just seems so much easier to try and figure out the attributes that you personally prefer and do the research to match your preference. It's no different than trying to rank cities. For some, NYC is hands down #1, and for others it would be last on the list. When I was younger I used to love rankings. As if they somehow validated my choices and it gave me some false pretext that the process was really analytical and therefore useful and carried weight. But as I said, I have now come to believe that blanket overall ratings of most things are futile due to individual differences in personal preference.

I mostly agree on overall rankings, but I am interested in strengths and weaknesses in the various categories. Unfortunatelly, as mentioned in a previous post, Liftopia completely blew this one too. I don't think I will make a trip to Magic because they rate it most challenging and best snow consistency and quality in the country.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I mostly agree on overall rankings, but I am interested in strengths and weaknesses in the various categories. Unfortunatelly, as mentioned in a previous post, Liftopia completely blew this one too. I don't think I will make a trip to Magic because they rate it most challenging and best snow consistency and quality in the country.
I am sure Magic Mt is awesome, but I hear you. Most challenging seems like a stretch.

Sponsor

Staff online