• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Life of a boot liner?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Shin bang is usually caused by the presence of space/gap between the shin and the liner tongue/front of the boot.

Why do a skier need to get to the front of the boot?
The answer may surprise you.

In this case the shin bang is in one boot only, after 3 years or so of use. I bet my brand new Smith helmet the cause is packed tongue and it is also in the right boot.
So, to take up that space you can indeed use a Booster strap, or if you happen not to be in love with elastic stuff-the pads i posted above.
The Sidas ones work perfectly-tried and tested. And relatively cheap.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
In this case the shin bang is in one boot only, after 3 years or so of use. I bet my brand new Smith helmet the cause is packed tongue and it is also in the right boot.
So, to take up that space you can indeed use a Booster strap, or if you happen not to be in love with elastic stuff-the pads i posted above.
The Sidas ones work perfectly-tried and tested. And relatively cheap.

If the "packed" liner tongue is pulled up against the shin. No additional pads shall be required to eliminate the gap/space. I have skier do that with their standard power strap with good results.

You did not answer my question above. No point continuing onward if you don't know what you don't know.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If the "packed" liner tongue is pulled up against the shin. No additional pads shall be required to eliminate the gap/space. I have skier do that with their standard power strap with good results.

You can pull it up against the shin or you can push it up against the shin, it is quite simple really…
And pads cost less than a Booster strap. And they dont change the original feeling of your power strap.

Simples…

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My liner packed out and my fitter tried a modification but it failed and I ended up with a gnarly blister on my toe that's taking forever to heal.... I ski a lot, have close to 150 days on these boots/liners. Torin has advised me that every other year something happens meaning either new boots or liners. I just bought new liners so next time (2 years from now) I'll get new boots.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is this about the foot needing to be properly supported or it will be misaligned to the tongue after a few flex/pronation cycles?

Most skiers needed to get to the front of the boot so they can exert pull on the spine.
Don't need the front of the boot if one can get to the spine in other ways.
Flex of the boot is all about deformation of the clog at the saddle.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Most skiers needed to get to the front of the boot so they can exert pull on the spine.
Don't need the front of the boot if one can get to the spine in other ways.
Flex of the boot is all about deformation of the clog at the saddle.

Ah. I see you've been reading the "I reduced my boot's lean and can finally..." thread.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Doesn't that still mean you've got excess space in the cuff previously taken up by the fresh liner?

If you ae skiing from the bottom of your feet, the front of the boots is not needed in most cases. Your lower leg/shin is connected to the spine of the boot. The spine is what flexes the clog/saddle. A pull on the spine will flex the clog through the saddle. The trick is to make sure whatever is connecting the lower leg to the spine is stout enough.

Front of the boot is only required when one is going balls to the wall (10/10) moments, like in racing in a closed course. The entire boot cuff & power strap assembly is way more massive and stronger than a strap. The question is do one really need all that power on a open public slope.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Why do a skier need to get to the front of the boot?
The answer may surprise you.
To avoid skiing like this...
1709928985233.png

or this...
open ankles, hands low, totally aft.png

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
If you ae skiing from the bottom of your feet, the front of the boots is not needed in most cases. Your lower leg/shin is connected to the spine of the boot. The spine is what flexes the clog/saddle. A pull on the spine will flex the clog through the saddle. The trick is to make sure whatever is connecting the lower leg to the spine is stout enough.

Front of the boot is only required when one is going balls to the wall (10/10) moments, like in racing in a closed course. The entire boot cuff & power strap assembly is way more massive and stronger than a strap. The question is do one really need all that power on a open public slope.
FINALLY an explanation of why you ski with boots (sorta) unbuckled. Your power strap assembly is doing the job of making it possible for you to lever the front of the ski when necessary.

Sponsor

Staff online