• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Life of a boot liner?

clewis

Booting up
Skier
Just wondering what the typical life of a boot liner is?

I've got a pair of boots that have about 120days on them( Techica Mach 1, 3years old). One thing I have noticed is a little shin bang recently on one boot. Never experienced this before. Other than that the liners show little wear on them.

Thanks for any advice or tips

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Close to 80 days in Mimic World Cup and absolutely nothing has changed. Given they have replaceable tongues I could probably ski them for a long long time.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Somewhere between 100 and 200 days depending in a bunch of things like.. How long are the days 4 hours or 10? Are they stock liners or aftermarket Intuitions? How often do you remove them? Do you do a lot of long walks to/from the parking lot in them?.. buckled or unbuckled? Do they spend a lot of time on boot dryers or in heated bags? .... etc... etc... etc..

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Take your boots and go talk to your boot fitter. They might have a practical solution for you.

TS
clewis

clewis

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the input.

A new tongue is a great idea. Never thought the was an option.

Is an after market liner(intuition for example) much better? Or is this a area where it really comes down to personal preference?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Somewhere between 100 and 200 days depending in a bunch of things like.. How long are the days 4 hours or 10? Are they stock liners or aftermarket Intuitions? How often do you remove them? Do you do a lot of long walks to/from the parking lot in them?.. buckled or unbuckled? Do they spend a lot of time on boot dryers or in heated bags? .... etc... etc... etc..

The biggest factor is...how much shell space do you have?

A 10mm shell fit will take a LOT longer to pack out than a 14mm shell fit.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the input.

A new tongue is a great idea. Never thought the was an option.

Is an after market liner(intuition for example) much better? Or is this a area where it really comes down to personal preference?

New tongue is an option if yours are replaceable. If not and the shin bang is minimal there are various pads to take up space, like this:

The Sidas ones are very nice and they work.

You have this bang in your right boot?

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
It depends on how snug they were to begin with and really how thick they started. My last 2 pair went 462 days and 547 days. Since I wasn't jamming them in and out like some here, they were still in good shape. They had compressed to the final stage they were ever going to compress to. But the first season had an extended break-in period which I endured (70 days on that 2nd pair before I decided they weren't going to pack as far as I needed without help) and I wore them around the house before I even skied in them. I did not replace the boots because of the liners, but because of my concern about the life of the shell. The fit was great and I hadn't resorted to thicker insoles or anything.

When I bought new boots this year, I rejected the better-fitting boot because the liner had one section barely better than a freezer bag of thickness and very frankly I want SOME insulation because I prefer cold conditions. I will come to regret that later, I'm sure, as there's more ability to pack out in these and frankly they are far too comfortable for season 1, which I told the guy repeatedly. But realistically at 72 years old, I probably don't need another 10 year boot.

If you've got weird bony protuberances you might have issues. I was blessed with a totally unremarkable foot.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Somewhere between 100 and 200 days depending in a bunch of things

Yup, right in that neighborhood for me.

@clewis -- But for me, it's always that things start getting too roomy. Your shin bang could be something else altogether, if you're still getting a snug fit without having two men and a boy crank down your buckles.

There are plenty of economical solutions to inevitably having a bit too much room, but I've always just gone with Intuition liners, having been lucky enough to live near one of the early developers. Two 60-70 day seasons in the stock liners, three more in the Intuitions, then new boots.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
11 posts and no one has mentioned zipfits?

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just wondering what the typical life of a boot liner is?

I've got a pair of boots that have about 120days on them( Techica Mach 1, 3years old). One thing I have noticed is a little shin bang recently on one boot. Never experienced this before. Other than that the liners show little wear on them.

Thanks for any advice or tips
So I ski in a lot of different boots professionally these days but... think of that person you see every day or two. You don't see the wrinkles, hair a bit greyer. Now imagine you've not seen them for 18months and wow they've aged

My experience [moving fairly quickly in low volume shells] was that everything was fine every day, until I jumped into new boots. Suddenly your skis feel tuned, faster, quicker, the sun has come out.

In other words boots die just a little every day but you often don't notice because the change is verrrry gradual.

The point made above - that thick ones pack out than thin ones is very true too.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Primary fix of shin bang is usually a Booster strap rather than a new liner.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
Primary fix of shin bang is usually a Booster strap rather than a new liner.
That depends on the leg of the said chicken or turkey

Some boots fit chickens
Some boots fit turkeys

A booster strap won’t fix a chicken in a turkey boot

But it will improve a chicken in a chicken boot
And a turkey in a turkey boot

Now I’m hungry for some of your chicken

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That depends on whether you like elasticity in the power strap. Some do, others don’t.

Shin bang is usually caused by the presence of space/gap between the shin and the liner tongue/front of the boot.

Why do a skier need to get to the front of the boot?
The answer may surprise you.

Sponsor