• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Let the tourism traffic begin

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ya gotta love it. Some people are so clueless in some aspects of their life, you wonder how they do it in the other parts :doh:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
We've gone in three days from just slightly busier than off season to full on chaos. It's like they doubled the inbound flights or something. Can't make a left to get on the road to town, have to plan in advance which intersection to use so you can actually made a turn, it's crazy. They're already having crowd issues at Glacier apparently a week sooner than usual.

I had to point out to my husband that it's nothing like we saw at Estes Park two weeks back, it's like 1/20 of that, so we should be grateful. I also pointed out that I remembered being horrified last year as well.

I wish they'd tell the tourist board to cut it out! Montana is not ready, infrastructure wise, to handle the rate of increase in visits we've been seeing. Summer is when all the towns tear the streets up anyway. Last thing needed is a huge increase in the number of tourists. Then the Park is trying to encourage people to come in the fall, but they shut down the shuttles, the hotels, even lots of the toilets! The place is gorgeous, but it's hours of driving, you're going to want a snack and some coffee, but too bad if you didn't pack your own.

Traffic is backed up for blocks all over town and the mountain wants them running more flights. Crazy! These places really need to coordinate with each other. You can't dump more people here without the infrastructure to take care of them.

/rant

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
that sounds depressing. Will be there Sunday.

Often been in Whitefish skiing but only once in summer and then it was too smokey to stay.
It's similar most places. Whistler and Banff are also busier in summer. Even our fairly isolated island anchorages are starting to get congested.
Off the beaten path though, I find most areas are still relatively empty, Same as a lot of other busy places in the world.
I hope Glacier in summer will be nice and there are lots of other great areas close by if it isn't.

will pack the bear spray

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
250,000 people will leave the beach in San Diego when the fireworks end. It used to be 500,000 but they outlawed alcohol on the beach so it's now "quieter". Alcohol problems are now 50% of what they used to be.

Traffic doesn't move. Period. We stash cars outside the traffic zone and ride our bikes out if we need. 2AM it starts to move.

We're home so it can be quite entertaining.

Be careful out there tomorrow.

Eric

Posaune

sliding
Skier
We have a big fireworks display over the bay here in B'ham. In places the post-show traffic jam is ridiculous. However, we are fortunate enough to live on the hill directly above where they shoot the stuff off; we can see the guys working the mortar tubes from here. It's really nice to watch the show and then watch the traffic afterward from our living room. Very entertaining.

The tourist crowds are building like crazy lately. License plates from everywhere. It's that time again. We're going to brave the San Juan Islands this weekend with guests. Here's hoping we can at least find an anchorage!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I live in a state whose license plates say "Vacationland." Doesn't help that it's all crammed into three months (July 4 - Columbus Day). Oh, and there's essentially only one road into the whole state. (Look on a map and assume you are NOT coming from Canada or New Hampshire, which only a small percentage out or tourists are.) Infrastructure fail, like @Sibhusky said.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We just went to Truckee to snag some bikes for a couple hours, but with all the traffic, we decided to go back home and hang out with Ziggy.
Its crazy out there.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Some A-hole lit two LOUD fireworks nearby at 6:30am, waking us up and sending Sadie into a barking frenzy. We’ll put her backpack/thunder jacket on her today, but it will be a noisy evening. You know, you live in a rural area and you think it will be quieter, but neighbors will still do loud things.

Today is going to be a cherry picking day, along with other yard work and landscaping tasks. And, occasionally calming the dog.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
image.jpeg
We just went to Truckee to snag some bikes for a couple hours, but with all the traffic, we decided to go back home and hang out with Ziggy.
Its crazy out there.

The 12 minute drive from here to incline is probably well over an hour right now. Supposed to play golf at 2 but really don't want to leave the house. Today is my one day off though so I fell like I should do something

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I live in a state whose license plates say "Vacationland." Doesn't help that it's all crammed into three months (July 4 - Columbus Day). Oh, and there's essentially only one road into the whole state. (Look on a map and assume you are NOT coming from Canada or New Hampshire, which only a small percentage out or tourists are.) Infrastructure fail, like @Sibhusky said.

Ugh, I sympathize. Doesn’t help that construction season is at its peak on said “one road”.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
View attachment 48772

The 12 minute drive from here to incline is probably well over an hour right now. Supposed to play golf at 2 but really don't want to leave the house. Today is my one day off though so I fell like I should do something
I recomend drinking and staying put, unless you really like traffic or play old brockway n drink there

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’d sympathize but I live in Ontario (Golden Horseshoe Area), we have two seasons, winter and construction. Each have their issues. Winter, drivers that freak out if a single snowflake is in the air ( in the entire province) and Construction, when all work is done at the same time to ensure everything grid locks no matter where you are and every driver goes nuts (except me of course for the most part).

So you got it easy ;).

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 48772

E-Bikes are becoming popular with the locals around Tahoe City and Kings Beach, just to avoid traffic.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I’d sympathize but I live in Ontario (Golden Horseshoe Area), we have two seasons, winter and construction. Each have their issues. Winter, drivers that freak out if a single snowflake is in the air ( in the entire province) and Construction, when all work is done at the same time to ensure everything grid locks no matter where you are and every driver goes nuts (except me of course for the most part).

So you got it easy ;).

In Colorado, we have Winter and Construction - and both have enormous amounts of traffic!

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Living in Tahoe has made me come to dread 4th of July. It's a full on shitshow here!!

Last year we learned our lesson. We visited Tahoe over the 4th and while survivable, it wasn't pleasant getting around. There were empty boat trailers parked over a mile away from the boat ramps. All the street parking to 1.5 miles from the beach was taken. The grocery store parking lot was full at 7.30a.

This year, we're headed up the weekend after, after (this coming weekend) in the hopes of some semblance of "normal".
Looking forward to getting out of the heat, breathing some fresher air.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Us New Yorkers are very much self sufficient. We don't need no stinkin' tourist from elsewhere to create traffic for us. :cool:

Sponsor

Staff online