• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Let the tourism traffic begin

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
have to say I prefer Whitefish in winter to summer,
We tourists must be a bit hard to take for locals.
Still very pretty but Going to the Sun highway was a bit like Vancouver rush hour.
Up in Waterton there were no crowds even unexpected empty rooms available at last minute
But honestly that probably has as much to do with large sections of the park being closed as the border does.

Those recent fires certainly brought out the wildflowers, absolutely gorgeous in the alpine
in Waterton encountered yet another grizzly, this time with 3 cubs (I've never seen 3 before)
but luckily from safe enough distance that the spray still is in the can.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
When we first moved here, we did the Park frequently in the summer. Now we don't even consider it. Maybe September. I'd like to go to Watertown as well, but my husband (never me) let his passport expire. So, we're waiting for that to come in the mail. We need to arrange a house sitter (aka the daughter) to come while we're gone.

You said large sections of the park are closed? You mean the Many Glacier campground or something else?

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was referring to Waterton - about 65% of that park's trails are closed after the big fire and its the smaller park as it is. .
this year overall Waterton has had fewer visitors according to those i spoke with.
was very surprised to have choice of window seats for cocktails at the Prince of Wales on arrival and lots of rooms available when we drove into the townsite,
that would be rare in Lake Louise in summer.

I am no expert on the Glacier side of the park and with the big crowds we really didn't spent that much time there. but some portions of it are also closed.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last year we learned our lesson. We visited Tahoe over the 4th and while survivable, it wasn't pleasant getting around. There were empty boat trailers parked over a mile away from the boat ramps. All the street parking to 1.5 miles from the beach was taken. The grocery store parking lot was full at 7.30a.

This year, we're headed up the weekend after, after (this coming weekend) in the hopes of some semblance of "normal".
Looking forward to getting out of the heat, breathing some fresher air.

So, making our own 3 day weekend at North Lake Tahoe was the ticket. The roads were a *little* busy on Saturday, but not any near the crazy of the 4th. Parking could be found at the local grocery all day long -- yes, I have issues. The feeling of Friday and Sunday was wonderful. Now, how to get paid (well) to live there?

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
no stayed in townsite in typical motel type accomadation nice but not spectacular. For overnighting the large park hotels are not really a great bang for the buck, but the view from the Prince of Wales is the best in Waterton highly recommend stopping for a drink. Same for Chateaux Lake Louise and the terrace at Banff Springs when you can get a seat at either.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Jerry sets sail back to Massachusetts

AFAB1D0A-AECE-4284-9214-A6955199EDE4.jpeg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Tourism is entertainment that pays you to be entertained.

You know, like you get a bushel of lemons? You make lemonade.

BTW, I'm not disparaging the preceding commentary. I am entertained by the images and thoughts of people behaving, uh, like they are on vacation. For me seeing the lighter side of the situation makes it possible to get through my day without blowing a gasket.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Tourism also allows a lot of our favorite places to exist.

Years ago, a guy in the Breck gondola lot was ranting aggressively about "shitty" (city) people. Denverites ruining it for the locals. Did he think Breck could exist without those visitors? Nonsense.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tell me about it! I can't wait for gaper tourists like this one to leave so I can take out the trash without being pestered and delayed. I'm told he didn't pay any resort tax while visiting.
Bandit Bear.jpg

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Due to the 95,000 acre Ferguson Fire most of Yosemite Natl Park has been closed for weeks at
the height of the tourist season. Only the Tioga Pass road is open from the east. Almost deserted.

Sponsor

Staff online