• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Knuckleheaded things you hope nobody saw you do..

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Funny story on this topic. My buddy was selected for a skate before the OHL Jr A draft, showcase, and he was really nervous. So they fire up the music and they start running out onto the ice and he, his words, just eats shit! And he had nightmares all the time that he would forget how to skate and he thought it was all coming true! Forgot his skate guards... :roflmao: Anyway, he was drafted in the first round for the OHL. Which is a big deal if you don't know. :)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am waiting for this to show up on Jerry of the day: I have a friend who skis a few times a season, including an annual girls trip, and is very charismatic and persuasive. Several years ago, at a girls trip, we were at a resort where I had not skied before, but where she regularly (again, it's like 5 weekends a season). There were 5 of us, all her friends. We're in the lift line, and people are asking if we're 3 or 2 or whatever, and she keeps responding 5. I look at the chair, and it's a quad. I tell her it's a quad. She keeps insisting that 5 can fit on it. And she's serious. I repeat several more times that it's a quad, tell her I'm going to wait a chair (and screw up the entire line), and she and everyone else in the group tells me to move forward/wonders wtf is wrong with me. I'm like, surely the liftie will stop us. He doesn't. There are 5 of us squished in a quad, and I am mortified. Next round, same thing happens, and I am more vocal about riding either alone or with someone else, and one gal basically humors me. I am pretty sure my friend still thinks that it's a 5-person lift.

Common sense, not so common.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting that so many of the posts involve boots. Just proves that boots are the worst.

Won a local race, after the awards ceremony at the finish, everyone has to ride a lift back up to cross their way over to the main lodge. I'm on one of the first chairs from the group going back. I drop the tip of my ski a little too far trying to scoot myself and my bag on the chair. The tip of the ski plunges into wet and heavy snow and I literally faceplant into the snow below the lift. All of the other racers heckled me back at the lodge and still do to this day.
@SKI-3PO has never done this, I'm sure.

I am waiting for this to show up on Jerry of the day: I have a friend who skis a few times a season, including an annual girls trip, and is very charismatic and persuasive. Several years ago, at a girls trip, we were at a resort where I had not skied before, but where she regularly (again, it's like 5 weekends a season). There were 5 of us, all her friends. We're in the lift line, and people are asking if we're 3 or 2 or whatever, and she keeps responding 5. I look at the chair, and it's a quad. I tell her it's a quad. She keeps insisting that 5 can fit on it. And she's serious. I repeat several more times that it's a quad, tell her I'm going to wait a chair (and screw up the entire line), and she and everyone else in the group tells me to move forward/wonders wtf is wrong with me. I'm like, surely the liftie will stop us. He doesn't. There are 5 of us squished in a quad, and I am mortified. Next round, same thing happens, and I am more vocal about riding either alone or with someone else, and one gal basically humors me. I am pretty sure my friend still thinks that it's a 5-person lift.
So basically your knucklehead move involved choosing your friends.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I did this. Yesterday. Took one step onto the ice, hand actually still on the rail/door, slid around confused and immediately went back off the ice. Whew.

And now for the other side of the perspective: first run of the day, maybe the caffeine hadn't kicked in yet, the usual non-curated mash up getting right numbers for the chair size .... I insisted it was a six-pack and started politely but firmly asking people to into groups of 6, and pushed myself forward to join a group of 4 in front of me. The liftie stepped out in front of me holding up 4 fingers with a strained smile ...... realizing my stupidity, I shriveled up to about 4" tall and slunk back to the end of the line. The teasing was surprisingly tender.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Other end of the day for my goof up. I decided to do some drills over on the greens. Luckily it was the greens since the lifties there are more prepared for loading goofs, and I didn't get whacked by the chair or end up with a stranger on my lap when I moved forward too soon. But all the more embarrassing since it was at my home hill and they kind of know me there. At that point I decided that if my brain was not fully engaged enough to load the chair properly, I shouldn't be skiing either and made that my last run of the day.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh, totally. Every season since then, she has invited me on the girls trip, and I keep having conflicts. To be clear, I wasn't friends with any of the other gals - they were all occasional and social skiers who put full trust in her and thought I was silly nag. And to be honest, it was a horrible feeling to be so unheard.

Last edited:

TahoeJoe

Getting on the lift
Skier
Had an inter web deal ski pre-mounted by powder 7, I never adjusted them, and went straight to the slopes, first turn, in front of every one, dual heel release as I’m full driving the tips on early season mashed crap over hard frozen reclaimed water sherbet. Full yard sale, SAFE AT GAPER HOME PLATE! Had to hike back up and down load, on gondola. I, adjusted bindings, went to get back on gondola, realized I had actually, left my poles on the download gondola ride of shame.! I’m now a total F’IDIOT, I look all over, to no avail, asking the gondola operator, random people, asking to call top shack. So, I go buy new poles, Ski a run & there’s my poles sticking in the snow. Now I have two pairs of poles, can’t find my wife. and everyone else, and everyone saw it!
So, after driving 3 hours each way for a day trip, I got, 3 measly runs in, and, felt like a total noob, poser, dork. Though I may resemble at least one of those words at any given time. Other than that day, I pretty much have getting on the lift and embarking in my intended activity, down to a science. I’d better after 53 years of doing it like its my job!

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting that so many of the posts involve boots. Just proves that boots are the worst.

@SKI-3PO has never done this, I'm sure.

Ok, here’s another boot story for you then!

Our 2nd time ever in Little Cottonwood and my wife and I had a GREAT first day at Alta. 2nd day we go to Bird (1st time ever skiing at Snowbird, only at Alta previously) and take the tram first thing. Wife gets kind of nervous on the tram and we end up skiing down the blue, very not fun cat track, Chips Run.

My wife complains that one ski just doesn’t turn as well as the other, so I look at her skis, check bindings and everything looks perfectly fine and I chalk it up to her being nervous; new places, heights, steep slopes all around.

Fast forward, we ski the rest of the week (4 more days!), finding easier stuff for her to ski because the skis still don’t feel right and she feels like a bad skier. We get home and I’m putting boots away and..
I finally notice that the flex bolt in her right boot is MISSING! She skied 5 days on boots with two different flexes and I feel awful that I didn’t think check or notice! Now, at the beginning of every season I tighten the flex bolts on our boots!

Story #2
Different trip, post story 1. 1st day wife complains that her demo skis, Elan Ripstick 108s, turn a lot easier one way than another. I take a look at her skis and *this time* immediately find the problem. Gosh, the idiots at the shop mounted the whole demo binding on one of the skis +3 or 4 cm compared to the other, and so she was skiing at 2 different mount points!

Fixed it right there by adjusting one binding forward and one back, so at least her boots are on the same place on the skis. Unsurprisingly her skiing improves immediately and she really likes the skis!

Returned skis to the shop that afternoon and turns out it was NOT the shop’s fault. (Hat tip to See N Ski Cottonwood, they didn’t charge us for that demo day and gave us a discount on the rest of the days.)

Elan had PRINTED the mount point lines in the wrong place on one of the skis! :eek:

Not the greatest pics, but note the back binding vs. the edge upc label. Mount point lines were on the sidewall, but unfortunately didn’t get a pic of them.
IMG_1113_Original.jpeg IMG_1112_Original.jpeg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Returned skis to the shop that afternoon and turns out it was NOT the shop’s fault. (Hat tip to See N Ski Cottonwood, they didn’t charge us for that demo day and gave us a discount on the rest of the days.)

Elan had PRINTED the mount point lines in the wrong place on one of the skis! :eek:
Obviously good of them to make it right. But still their fault.

I finally notice that the flex bolt in her right boot is MISSING! She skied 5 days on boots with two different flexes and I feel awful that I didn’t think check or notice! Now, at the beginning of every season I tighten the flex bolts on our boots!
Well, in fairness, why is it your job to notice, any more than hers?

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Forgot my shells at home on the first day of the first full ski season post covid. Had only my liners with me.
Had to rent a pair of boots which were too big and did not fit in the bindings. Couldn’t resize the binding because there were no tools at the lift stations due to anti-covid rules. Managed to resize one binding using a 5 cents coin but not the second (it was too cold to work with bare hands and with gloves on the 5 cents were too small to grab). Had to ski the whole day on one ski only….

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That's why I don't count on dudes!

I am a card carrying dude.
As a family, we generally operate in accordance to the Titanic Principle.
Every man, woman and child for him/her self.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Funny story on this topic. My buddy was selected for a skate before the OHL Jr A draft, showcase, and he was really nervous. So they fire up the music and they start running out onto the ice and he, his words, just eats shit! And he had nightmares all the time that he would forget how to skate and he thought it was all coming true! Forgot his skate guards... :roflmao: Anyway, he was drafted in the first round for the OHL. Which is a big deal if you don't know. :)
Happens to be best of us.. But I wasn't drafted. Must have been the broken thumb..

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Ned, is that you?
I should clarify, he did have all his other gear on .. Just not the pants.. :ogbiggrin: he didn't go full Ned. And you know there comes a time in a middle-aged man's life where that's not a good look! In my case that time was my early twenties... :roflmao:

Last edited:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I arrived at the lodge without my custom insoles and decided to ski without them in my Lange RS 130. Big mistake as my feet were killing me at the end of a short day and I skied like #!&*$! When I did the same thing later that season:rolleyes:, I resorted to some off the shelf insoles that the lodge shop was good enough to tweak.

Sponsor

Staff online