• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Knuckleheaded things you hope nobody saw you do..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OK.. Anybody else ever try to step in to your bindings with your cat tracks/yaktrax/boot covers on? Ya me neither because nobody saw it hahahaha!

Seems to be a thing with me though.. One time I stepped on to the ice with my skate blade covers still on. It did not go well. I didn't realize it at first and got back up and tried to skate. Fell and broke my thumb and then realized what happened. My son is occasionally reminding me of that one... I still skated but sat out stick and puck because thumb was not working anymore doh..

What do you want to fess up to? Anything beyond forgetting to scrape your wax?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Does forgetting to re-tension the heel spring on my K2 610s, skiing DV on them for 3 days and not noticing, then running smash into a wall of snow during a white out and double ejecting into a front somersault to land ~40 feet down slope from the skis count?

Does the fact that some rando followed me into that zone count for him?

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I was doing the Mt. Washington (New Hampshire) Century one time... it starts at the Mt. Washington Auto Road and immediately ascends Pinkham Notch. before going on through a couple other mountain passes. 100 miles, a lot of climbing, all the usual fun.

At any rate, I started up Pinkham Notch and was about 1.5 miles up when I reached for my water bottles only to discover that my bottles were still in the car.

Turn around, back down... Get the bottles. Try again. Now it's 103 miles, a bit more than the "lot" of climbing... That was a long day.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I forgot my ski boot bag on a day trip one time... Was driving up to New Hampshire somewhere when I realized my ski boots, etc. were still at home.

I've forgotten ski pants and gloves (not on the same trip though).

I used to keep tennis balls on the pointy end of my ski poles so that they wouldn't scrape up the interior of the car. Forgot to take them off one time and got on the lift with tennis balls on my poles... That provoked a question or two.

I've done the cat-tracks-still-on thing countless times.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I was doing the Mt. Washington (New Hampshire) Century one time... it starts at the Mt. Washington Auto Road and immediately ascends Pinkham Notch. before going on through a couple other mountain passes. 100 miles, a lot of climbing, all the usual fun.

At any rate, I started up Pinkham Notch and was about 1.5 miles up when I reached for my water bottles only to discover that my bottles were still in the car.

Turn around, back down... Get the bottles. Try again. Now it's 103 miles, a bit more than the "lot" of climbing... That was a long day.

That's OK - the last time we climbed Woodstock Tower I forgot my shoes. Nothing quite like 200+ feet per mile in sneakers.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier

If we can talk about cycling, I left our lodging for stage 4 of the Killington Stage Race without my bike. I realized this after just a few minutes of driving.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
How many helmets have you purchased on the way to an event? I know I've done 4, can't remember the rest :)
Hahaha.

I'm actually pretty good with that kind of thing - pack very carefully, at least for racing. And apart from shoes (and bike LOL) I had a specific set of *everything* for events (as opposed to training) and kept the bag ready most of the time. Get home, wash, repack early.

The one time that really a big problem was for an early season bike race at Jiminy Peak (I'm keeping the connection to skiing with venues of my dopiness). Pretty long drive, and when I got there I could not find the baselayer I wanted. Annoying. Which was weird because I have a really good packing list and had updated it over the off-season.

So when I got home I check the updated list and noticed I'd deleted the entry for baselayers.

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
While I've had many a day start with the realization I'd forgotten something important, the worst was at the end of the day: great day of fresh snow at K'wood, got back to the car exhausted but still had more work to do to dig the car out, then finally pulled my boots off, set them on the ground, pulled my feet back in the car and closed the door to de-layer and put shoes on ........ and then drove off. I distinctly remember driving over what I thought was a chunk of snow that thought I'd cleared out. Got home 2 hours later and then it dawned on me - that chunk wasn't snow.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm actually pretty good with that kind of thing - pack very carefully,..... Annoying. Which was weird because I have a really good packing list and had updated it over the off-season.

So when I got home I check the updated list and noticed I'd deleted the entry for baselayers.

This is exactly why I absolutely hate having 'help' with my packing. Don't move my stuff. Don't put your stuff over it. DON'T try to help.

I am absolutely counting on it being where I put it and visible - even if it makes no sense to anyone else.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I posted this in another thread years ago, but it's always good to fess up one more time.

We were visiting Bend to ski Mt. Bachelor. We loaded up the car and headed to the hill from our hotel room, about a 20 minute drive. When we arrived at the mountain I realized that I had left my parka in the hotel room. I wasn't thrilled about a 40 minute round trip, especially because there was new snow and it was going to be a beautiful, but cold, day. In the back of the vehicle, however, was an overcoat of mine with a four button closure. It was windproof except for the openings between the buttons, so we found some safety pins to augment the buttons and I suited up in what looked vaguely like business attire, however I then realized that the removable vent plugs for my helmet were in my parka back at the hotel. After some consideration I headed to the lodge and grabbed some paper napkins that I tore up and stuffed into the helmet's holes in place of the plugs. I was set!!

I skied all day in this outfit, and other than a bit of cold air coming in through the overcoat, I was a pretty happy camper. It was a great day of skiing, but I got more than a few odd looks.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Drove 2 hours to Mt Baker and found I'd loaded two pair of my skis and not one pair for me and one pair for my wife. She was not pleased, and the crappy pair of rentals didn't make things any better. Somehow the marriage survived. In my defense, well, there was no defense.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I had some boot discomfort at the top of the hill in minus 25c weather. So I pulled my boot off and couldn't get it back on. Too cold. Promptly ripped the tongue off my boot liner. Ughhh...

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Packed up and loaded into car gear, clothes and snacks for myself, hubby, and kids ages 7 and 8 for MLK weekend up in Franconia/Cannon. Arrived to balmy 10F and realized left my jacket in the mud room. Kids thought this was hilarious. Scrambled to get to TJMaxx in Littleton before closing. Scored a Columbia silver grey down jacket for $35 and then dinner at Littleton Diner for the win. 7 years later left the jacket on the conveyer belt at Denver on way home when worrying about youngest who had to go thru different line because of preCheck issues. Karma I guess….

OSD

Getting on the lift
Skier
Slipping on ice in the parking lot. I've done it alone and in crowds. I don't know if it's the way I walk or some genetic imbalance but ever since college I've been prone to feet flying out from under me and landing on my ass, moreso than anyone else. Cat tracks don't help. And when I'm carrying skis and poles I basically toss them aside while airborne so as to not get impaled or sliced which makes the whole thing more spectacular.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I once jumped over a stack of boots at a swap and near rolled the bone out of my ankle landing the other side, but that was just dumb, not predisposed proneness propensity.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Wife brought two right ski boots to the mountain yesterday. She quickly drove to the ski shop to grab her left boot. Bonus points for a quick recovery still making it in time at the lift start.

Sponsor

Staff online