• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Knuckleheaded things you hope nobody saw you do..

AaronFM

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Grabbed my ski helmet instead of my bike helmet for a gravel race this spring. At least the ear covers remove easily.
Aero: 0;
Ventilation: 2;
Looking like a dork for 30 miles: 10
1000004262.png

Last edited:

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I once remembered to pack everything for a nice ski day with the family ... except for my ski boots that is. Got to spend a lot of time on the scenic drive between Banff and Lake Louise going back and forth that day.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Then there was the day at Keystone when I just couldn't turn right. Switched skis; couldn't turn left. My ski tuning dude looked at them and told me that there was nothing wrong with the skis; it must be operator error. But but but...made no sense.

Rode the Gondola down. Ski shop pointed out that one of the skis was delaminating. Volant Chubbs; they did that occasionally. NOT operator error. Of course we could see it AFTER they pointed it out. First day of a two week trip. Definitely time to demo and buy new skis.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Wife brought two right ski boots to the mountain yesterday. She quickly drove to the ski shop to grab her left boot. Bonus points for a quick recovery still making it in time at the lift start.

OMG I did that a couple seasons ago. I had my old and new boots in the condo and drove to K to meet a couple of friends who drove up for the weekend from PA. To my horror I opened my boot bag and discovered i had 2 right ski boots..... I could have rented a pair of boots but I'm so attached to my boots and didn't want to deal wtih boots I'm not dialed into so I opted to go to the U bar instead. My friends and Michael came to visit me from time to time. Brooke and Justin still tease me about this, deservedly so and likely will forever. The very second I got back to the condo I took my old boots and stuck them in a closet. I kept them around in case I needed a binding relase check for a new pair of skis, this way I wouldn't have to be without my boot and could still ski. I'll never keep 2 sets of boots in plain sight again lol.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Years ago it was summer and I was walking from my car to my office and I was wearing wedge heels... I am not sure if I hit a rock or I just rolled my ankle but down to the ground I went. Aside from my pride I was unhurt but as I slinked to the front door of my 2 story building I was wondering who might have been looking out and had seen me.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How long have you been a dude? :huh:
It's always our fault. :nono:
:roflmao:I’m “the skier” and so felt responsible. At the time my wife was much less experienced then than she is now. I mainly felt bad blowing it off as a “it’s just her being nervous” issue instead of a “something is really wrong with the equipment” issue! If I had taken it more seriously maybe I could have figured it out sooner and she could have had a better trip.

Tom_H

Booting up
Skier
The hill I skied at in college only had a chalet at the top (at the time), but there was a park/soccer field below one of the lifts where a lot of the season pass folks would park/boot up as it saved a bit of a drive and hassle up top. So I'm booting up with the car running so I can listen to some tunes, get my boots on stand up, hit the power locks and closed the door (mind you this was one of those old Mazdas where you even had to hold the handle up while closing it or the doors would unlock.....). So there I am with my keys locked in my running car.... So I figure great....I'll ride up the lift and call my girlfriend or a tow truck from the chalet to unlock it (before I had a cell phone) and just take a few runs while I wait.... but nope, skis are still locked in my ski rack, and the key's in the car. Thankfully there happened to be one other person booting up that had a phone, but got to hang out in a parking lot in my boots for a solid hour before I could get it unlocked.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
:roflmao:I’m “the skier” and so felt responsible. At the time my wife was much less experienced then than she is now. I mainly felt bad blowing it off as a “it’s just her being nervous” issue instead of a “something is really wrong with the equipment” issue! If I had taken it more seriously maybe I could have figured it out sooner and she could have had a better trip.

You really shouldn't beat yourself up over it. You know she will blame you regardless. No need for two people being down on you. One is more than enough.

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have A LOT of these kinds of stories, fortunately, I don't take myself too seriously or I would need therapy.

One that comes to mind is: Back when I was single and lived in Salt Lake, friends and I all went out and tied one on pretty heavy. It was later in the season, and it had been a very good, long season. Was not planning on skiing the next day. Turns out, it was a sleeper pow day up in Little Cottonwood, buddy woke me up early. Went up the canyon to an epic powder day. Unfortunately, I felt like crap and was releasing last nights demons off the Wildcat lift when the liftie hit the emergency stop. I fell about 30 feet off the chair and probably looked like a cartoon the way I landed flat, arms splayed in the snow. Thank god it was a deep pow day or I would have been hurt. The heckles from the lift as I collected myself were merciless, and deserved.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Skied off the side of a groomed surface at speed today impacted a frozen solid groomer boulder. Feet stopped moving so I released over the handle bars with a shoulder roll landing. Keep both my skis attached to the feet for added visual effect. First crash of the year. At 64 these kind of moves are getting tougher to take. Need to be kinder to myself sometimes.

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
First time at Breckenridge circa early Dec 2005 skiing with an old Epic board member DP (Dave) if anyone remembers him. After lunch we were skiing a short bump run (Mach 1) that is very close to and entirely visible from the peak 8 superconnect. I was in over my head anyway but I figured I could get down it OK. Well about a third of the way down I crashed and slowly slid to the edge of the trail and came to a stop. Unbeknownst to me the snaps on the side of my ski pants had come undone. When I stood up my pants fell to my boot tops and my base layer had fallen to mid thigh. So there I was in full view of about 20 lift riders. I vaguely remember comments along the lines of sexy sexy, nice legs or something something (that's how I remember the comments and I'm sticking to it):rolleyes:;)

dakels

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
12 years ago when I was a intermediate skier in Siberia Bowl in Vail, I saw a nice area that looked very untouched and thought why isn't this tracked up? I charged in there and 2 seconds later I flipped head over feet into a crust covered sticky chunky mess. Till this day the only time I ever walked out of an area vs skied out. I learned an important rule. If it's easy to get to, it's untracked for a good reason.

Bonus story: bombing down the end of bookends bowl in mineral basin Snowbird to carry speed uphill to the lift.... there's a groomed cat track which often has a drop off and big angle change which is hard to see when you are coming down. I fell on my face and tore a ligament in my hand. I think I heard everyone in the lift line wince. As I waited in the lift line, I watched several more people face plant in the same area...

Sponsor

Staff online