• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

antigonowhere

Booting up
Skier
Right.

I either suck at searching, or I got lazy too fast. Either way, I can't seem to find results on a Jay for Dummies thread, so I'll make my own and have it binned if the powers that be see fit.

I've done some skiing in Vermont previous, and have another trip on the books for Killington in February - no issues there. I learned a lot from the old epic ski forums last year before hitting K'ton and hope to do the same here.

In order to help entertain my (best-ever-on-the-face-of-the-planet) four year old goddaughter, we settled on Jay for the annual "family" ski trip because: water park. We had been doing MSA in Quebec, but the drive from the Ottawa area always sucks for our goddaughter's family, and the drive from the NS/NB border sucks times two for distance. Plus: water park. MSA is a blast and all, in fact it's my favorite hill by far, but we need to think of the little one.

So, brass tacks:
I'm a solid intermediate/advanced skier who can find home on blacks as much as blues provided I don't go idiot too quickly. I'm fond of trees when they're well spaced and it's not tracked all to hell.

My wife is starting to become a decent enough intermediate skier, but her f-word quotient rises dramatically on the tougher pitched blues that would be a black back on our home molehills. If anyone replying knows MSA I could explain a load better...

What can we expect from Jay, given this meager info? What sort of trails are the hit or miss ones, and what are the ones that are more bankable? Is the tram worth it, or should we seek alternate means to get to the top?

We're staying in something called a golf and mountain cottage because we were too frigging lazy to dig much more into the area, and finding stuff on the interwebs related to the Jay area, leastwise for me, has been a gigantic pain in the arse. I had much more success with K'ton, which I attribute to it being more than sparsely populated? No offense intended.

I'm also looking for some tips on where to get some foodstuffs when traveling into the area from Lebanon-ish (which is my wife's idea because: Freeport) and with tips on where to forage food, what sort of fun things are a must try in the State/local area? We basically do a general ski/fun/food/drink overload while we are together and make our own après, so some suggestions on the beers, other than the impossible to get on a Sunday arrival Heady, what's out there? I hear cheese is a thing as well?

Anything else you can tell me about the mountain and the area?

Ultimately, I'll be getting my sidekick out on the molehills a few nights long before we take off for this so she can get a few more runs under her new planks, and try to get her carving properly.

Hey man, thanks for reading.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You will enjoy Jay. The Waterpark is fairly impressive ( I've never been in but looked in ) The skiing is pretty good too. There is enough variety for a weekend trip or a long weekend, you'd start to get bored for a week I think. It is somewhat comparable to mt set anne, in that you can ski bumps if you want to , or not. There is a lot of intermediate trails too, so everyone will be happy. The tram is ok, but not necessary . It doesn't give you an awful lot more hill.
The whole mountain is open to ski, i.e. all the woods. If you like the trees , this is it. Steep ones , tight ones, open ones, flat ones, there all here.
I think you are in the many little buildings scattered around, there is a shuttle that goes around. Ive passed by on the shuttle( Ive only stayed at the stateside inn)
There isn't a lot around, either at the hill ( couple of restaurants, nothing special) or in town. I think the closest town is Montgomery Centre. It has a small market and a few restaurants. (the Snowshoe pub is great)

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am a longtime Jay Peak skier. First, you are staying across the street from the lodge and water park by the golf course. Walk to skiing and water park yes. You are far enough out you will need to bundle up for the walk to and from the water park. Jay Peak is always hit or miss as far as skiing. When it's good it's all good. When it hasn't snowed and is icy it's not great. They aren't winning any awards for groming and snowmaking though they do attempt both those things.

No better tree skiing in the east; much better than Ste. Anne or Le Massif.

Not much in the area. I think there are 4 restaurants of varying stripes at the resort and a small grocery/deli/wine store. Decent and popular casual restaurant a couple miles west called the Belfry. One of the best restaurants in the state (IMO), Lago Trattoria, In Newport, VT about 20-25 minute drive. Newport is a working class town and has grocery stores, pizza joints etc.

If coming in from Lebanon, NH, probably best to get groceries around there or maybe St. Johnsbury, VT which is the only town of any size you will pass by.

The tram is fine on weekdays and can get a line that makes it not worthwhile on weekends. The Green Mountain Flyer lift is known to regulars as "The Freezer" for good reason... as you crest the ridge a nice refreshing Canadian breeze hits you and freezes any exposed bits.

Favorite bump run is powerline. Kitzbuhel is bumped but has a double fall line going on...some like that some don't. U.N, or Haynes, one of them is usually bumps and one groomed I think. Jet used to be bumps but in now always groomed. There is also a fun line under the top of the Bonadventure chair.

Anther really fun, narrow, kind of short bump run is Poma Line off the skier's left edge of Ullr's Dream. Ullr's Dream is my favorite blue cruiser.

Jay is mostly about the trees.

Last edited:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Many good memories of skiing Jay Peak as that's where I learned as a middle aged adult.

The food at the resort is actually quite good if you don't want to drive off the property. The Belfry is where you will see the locals at the end of the day, good food and beer, very reasonable. Bernies in Montgomery Center has some good grinds too. The Jay Village Inn at the bottom of VT242 has huge portions if you're hungry

The ski school is well respected, take a lesson - leave a big tip, my brother in law has been working there forever, ask for Dana, he can set you up with the right instructor and answer any questions you have regarding the mountain and the surrounding area.

Early March is usually better than late March but either way it's New England so you know what that means.

My wife and I shifted our skiing to Montana when I retired so I haven't skied Jay Peak in a few years but I would enjoy a trip back there. Enjoy !

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Jay Cloud.....full on in March. Usually more snow then compared to the rest of the year. I think it would be a great time and place. Warmer than January, more sunlight. But bring your own party. As mentioned not much there.

And Jay should be at the ski show this weekend at the EY Centre!! Go see them.

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
I am from NH and have skied Jay often (MSA 1989 was an epic trip- would love to go back there again)!

What can we expect from Jay, given this meager info? What sort of trails are the hit or miss ones, and what are the ones that are more bankable? Is the tram worth it, or should we seek alternate means to get to the top?

IMO Jay is by far the best mountain in the east, it is report, sparse, and for pure at heart skiers only. You will have a fabulous vacation and great call for the little one with the waterpark. Rewind 5 years ago and this would not have been a good option for you. I love the tram and one of my favorite long winding blues is the Vermonter. For bumps I second Kitzbuehul and Jet. Other blues: Northway to Angels Wiggle/Hellls Crossing (kids always giggle at the names & like to pose at the crossing signs). As for trees- I vote ski them all- but will warn you the face shutes are terrifying in an exhilarating way.

I'm also looking for some tips on where to get some foodstuffs when traveling into the area from Lebanon-ish (which is my wife's idea because: Freeport) and with tips on where to forage food, what sort of fun things are a must try in the State/local area? We basically do a general ski/fun/food/drink overload while we are together and make our own après, so some suggestions on the beers, other than the impossible to get on a Sunday arrival Heady, what's out there? I hear cheese is a thing as well?

If you are deadset on travel from Freeport (great idea btw), I have put together a little detour for you. Adds on a bit more than 1 hr drive, hits amazing local spots known by the locals.... Rt 302 across Maine to Conway, hop on Rt 112 the Kancamagus (by far the most beautiful road in the Northeast) this brings you through the hear of the NH White Mountains & National Forest. You will emerge in Lincoln, classic New England Ski town & home to Loon Mountain. This is where I would stop & eat at the Gypsy Cafe. Cute shops to go into if you wish to stretch legs a bit. From Lincoln hop on 93N through Franconia Notch, site of our dearly departed Old Man in the Mountain & home of Cannon Mountain, exit 93 in Littleton & visit the original Lahoot's Ski Shop. This shop is still family owned, and is credited as being the oldest ski store in America. There is a plethora of ski memorbillia, including Bode Millers gold medals (he's a local) & strangely an autographed Jack Daniels bottle & poster from Aerosmith who played at the local high school in the 70's. Get a shirt with old Joe iconic quote "Put on the damn skis and go like hell". Jump back on 93N to 91N to Rt 2 hit up Cabot Cheese Creamery. This is the best cheese ever!!!!! Factory tour, free samples, and large gift shop full of cheese. Back on Rt 2 to Rt 100 (K-ton is lower rt. 100 for reference). Stop in Waterbury for the original Ben & Jerry's factory- tour is optional but ice-cream window is a must! Also has a cool "graveyard" you can walk through and pay homage to retired flavors. If you or your wife enjoy antiques- one of my most favorite shops is directly across the street, little red building I can't recall the name at the moment. Continue Rt 100N & stop in at Michael Egans glassblowing shop. My daughter and I could just watch him blow glass for hours! A true craftsman and just an overall cool place that is not commercially known. Continue 100N you will drive through Stowe, and then it veers off a few other roads before you get to Jay. At Jay I always eat at the Tower Bar: bacon crostini's and either a Jay Peak Tram Ale or Switchback on tap. If I don't pull the trigger on a trip out west I may see you there:)

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fre...ed58bf4413!2m2!1d-72.5049267!2d44.9376778!3e0

Anything else you can tell me about the mountain and the area?

Its the east coast, don't let comments of ice and poor conditions deter you- hell every mountain in the east gets slammed with ice cover & is wind blown. Jay is the one mountain that actually receives powder (serious fine fluffy powder not wet heavy cement snow). When its good its actually phenomenal- you'll be like a kid in a candy shop! Definitely utilize the tram and be sure to take the tram (without skis) with your niece and take a family picture at the peak- my most favorite family picture ever was taken there when my youngest was 3, the view is breathtaking!

Ultimately, I'll be getting my sidekick out on the molehills a few nights long before we take off for this so she can get a few more runs under her new planks, and try to get her carving properly.

Hey man, thanks for reading.[/QUOTE]

TS
antigonowhere

antigonowhere

Booting up
Skier
Awesome feedback, thanks all for taking the time to help educate me.

Sincerely appreciate the inside scoop on that travel route - this will make my wife pretty happy!

Cheers

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If it is cold and/or windy, stay off the Flyer Chair. As others have said, very well the best tree skiing in the east.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
The only reason not to take The Flyer would be that it's on wind hold. A brisk, death defying run down an ice coated Ullr's will warm you up right quick!

TS
antigonowhere

antigonowhere

Booting up
Skier
Thankfully I've managed le Gros Vallon late in the day more than a few times at MSA. "Le Neige Bleu" we refer to it as.

Funny enough, that's a solid blue (for MSA) and was the one single trail that completely sent my wife off her rocker. It was more irrational fear of others/ice/falling/pitch, but either way, she lost confidence on that run, and so any time I hear lots of ice mentioned I get a bit apprehensive for her. Her no likey the chatter.

Now the first year we hit there was terrible for icy spots, but last year was dreamy - but she wasn't quite over "oh THAT f&cking trail" :huh: All I can do is get her on our molehills and try and teach through it.

Cold and windy is what I do. Not choosing it, by any stretch, but I/we can make it work. I just drink a lot of beer at the end of every day.

I'm no newb in the trees, but I'm also no expert - so I am sincerely looking forward to getting the Heads off trail to see how they roll off the groomers!

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Quite a following today at the Ottawa Ski Show. Talked to lady, she and her brothers were working on a 3 family trip. They've always done Jay and were looking at other options. From the conversation, I think it was going to be Jay again. It was the water park, arena and the skiing.

Sponsor

Staff online