Indy Pass Bring Mountain Collective Format to Western Independents

Discussion in 'Skiing and Industry News' started by Green08, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Green08

Green08 Front Range for the First Time Skier

http://www.indyskipass.com/

• Two free days at each partner resort in the US and Canada
    • Minimum of one additional discounted lift ticket
    • Discounted kids tickets (12 and under) when redeeming an adult ticket
    • Special offers from participating resorts for lodging, rentals, lessons and more

Partner Resorts

IDAHO
    Brundage Mountain
    Silver Mountain

Washington
    White Pass
    Mission Ridge
    49 Degrees North

OREGON
    Hoodoo

CALIFORNIA
    Mt. Shasta

MONTANA
    Red Lodge Mountain

UTAH
    Beaver Creek

British Columbia
    Apex Mountain Resort

2. Kneale Brownson

Kneale Brownson Out on the slopes Instructor

Did these guys pay for their ad?

3. jmeb

jmeb Stereotypical Front Range Weekend Warrior Skier

IndyPass representation of Indy Resorts: 4/10.

Powder Alliance representation of Indy Resorts: 8/10.

Why reinvent the wheel when they could've joined up with a big and more impressive crew to really challenge the Alterra / Vail duopoly?

4. Thread Starter
    TS
    Green08

I certainly would echo your sentiment! A few of these ski areas have partnership agreements with a place like Monarch on the side already. Powder Alliance makes far more sense as an established brand and existing conglomerate.

The appeal might stand with somebody that skis an independent in the East or Midwest and wants a similar size and vibe on a tribe to the West.

Without the major name recognition to drive interest, what you might expect to help would be to have multiple options close to one another. The only thing that might be kind of close is Mission Ridge and White Pass...but even that is a stretch.

5. Thread Starter
    TS
    Green08

I just saw the news and posted it myself.

Given all the kvetching about Ikon at JHMR and DV, A-Basin becoming independent, Epic pass sentiment thread,....it seemed relevant to some stuff happening in various forums.

Itinerant skier and dbostedo like this.

6. New2

New2 Getting off the lift Skier

My understanding is that Powder Alliance is structured so that any existing member can veto a new entrant. And I expect that most of the areas announced so far for the IndyPass have been vetoed/blackballed in the past. Most of these ski areas are worried about losing season pass sales to competitors with whom they have an exchange as well as locals who choose the multipass instead of a local pass.

Shasta & Ashland are less than 2 hours apart.
    Silver Mountain and 49° North are both easy day trips from Spokane or Coeur d'Alene. Closer to one another and a better vacation destination than Mission Ridge/White Pass.

7. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

8. Tom K.

Tom K. HRPufnStf Skier

Who knows if this will work out, but it works for me.

For $200 I can ski a few days at 49 Degrees North and Brundage (and McCall is on the list of retirement locations).

Two areas that are not THAT far away, and that I've been talking about skiing for decades.

If I buy the pass, it will kind of force the issue!

So, by my count, they are up to N=1. :D

9. Tricia

Tricia The Velvet Hammer Admin Pugski Ski Tester

10. Tricia

I bet this could work for @Pete in Idaho as well.

11. David Chaus

David Chaus If I am skiing the world is a perfect place. Skier

I could see getting one of those. Brundage is one my favorite medium/small resorts, I could see starting there and then up to Silver, 49, and stop at Mission or White Pass on the way back. Later a weekend trip to Apex.

Honestly what I’d like to see is a pass that covers all the Spokane area (Silver, Schweitzer, 49, Mt Spokane and Lookout) resorts, plus Red and Whitewater. And/or a BC pass that includes all the Okanagan resorts (Apex, Silver Star, Big White, Sun Peaks) and maybe Red and Whitewater as well.

But I digress....I hope this Indy Pass works out for the resorts as well as skiers.

Bad Bob likes this.
  12. Bad Bob

Bad Bob old n' slow Skier

Home with 'Children of the Sun' in the PNW
    49* North day walk-up ticket is $62. Taking that as an average it won't take long to pay for itself.

Philpug and David Chaus like this.
  13. Itinerant skier

Itinerant skier Putting on skis Skier

From @Doug Fish comments in the other thread, he was looking for something that could be a revenue source for the resorts as opposed to the Powder Alliance that's just a reciprocity agreement. I too would love to see Powder Alliance grow and add some Eastern and Midwestern resorts to compete with the Borg/Borg Lite options of EPIC/IKON, and I fear that this might dilute that possibility a bit.

That said, while my Loveland Pass gets me Powder Alliance as well as Red Lodge & Brundage, I could totally see myself buying one of these since Powder Alliance is lacking in WA now. Even combined with the LL pass, the cash outlay would be similar to the IKON base price.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  14. marjoram_sage

marjoram_sage newly addicted to skiing Skier

They have a typo for Beaver Mountain Utah. It's listed as Beaver Creek, which certainly doesn't belong on this pass.

Great initiative. Hope they add more mountains in California.

15. dbostedo

dbostedo Asst. Gathermeister-- Jackson Hole 2020 Moderator Team Gathermeister

It says "Beaver Mountain" now.

Tricia likes this.
  16. Tricia

We brought this to their attention.

17. Doug Fish

Doug Fish In the Trees Skier

Thanks for all the comments here! I founded the Indy Pass to appeal to two types of skiers/riders: 1. casual (less than 6x per year) people who don't buy a season pass and 2. folks who want to travel and appreciate the value and experience that you get at an independent, small-to-mid-sized resort. So far we have 10 committed resorts in the West and our goal is to have a network of 50+ across North America. The Indy Pass is not just a marketing co-op but also a profit center for our partner resorts with 85% of revenue paid out based on redemption (similar to the (Mountain Collective).

I appreciate all the feedback here on the Pugski forum. You guys are recommenders and influencers and it's very helpful for us to read your comments as we fine tune a program that has never been offered at this price point. If you know of a small-to-mid-sized resort that would be a good fit for the Indy Pass, please encourage them to look into it or contact me at info@indyskipass.com. We will be posting updates to the pass on our website indyskipass.com and social media pages and you can sign up for alerts as we add new resorts. The pass will go on sale September 1 for $199 and will allow two days free at each participating resort. Resorts have the option to offer unlimited, holiday restricted or mid-week only access -- to be determined by each resort as we get closer to launch. Cheers and pray for powder!

IP_LOGO_COLOR.png

Bad Bob, New2 and nunyabiz like this.
  18. Doug Fish

Thanks! Interns!

19. Tom K.

Tom K. HRPufnStf Skier

Really need Lost Trails added, for the ultimate road trip from Hood River:

Brundage - Lost Trails - Silver Mountain - 49 Degrees North

Heck, let's throw Anthony Lakes in there, too, if a guy can dream!

20. Doug Fish

Lost Trail is on our list Tom! Let them know you'll visit if they join.

Tom K. and Tricia like this.