• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Indy Pass Bring Mountain Collective Format to Western Independents

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
http://www.indyskipass.com/

• Two free days at each partner resort in the US and Canada
  • Minimum of one additional discounted lift ticket
  • Discounted kids tickets (12 and under) when redeeming an adult ticket
  • Special offers from participating resorts for lodging, rentals, lessons and more

Partner Resorts

IDAHO
Brundage Mountain
Silver Mountain

Washington
White Pass
Mission Ridge
49 Degrees North

OREGON
Hoodoo

CALIFORNIA
Mt. Shasta

MONTANA
Red Lodge Mountain

UTAH
Beaver Creek

British Columbia
Apex Mountain Resort

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
IndyPass representation of Indy Resorts: 4/10.

Powder Alliance representation of Indy Resorts: 8/10.

Why reinvent the wheel when they could've joined up with a big and more impressive crew to really challenge the Alterra / Vail duopoly?

TS
Green08

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Why reinvent the wheel when they could've joined up with a big and more impressive crew to really challenge the Alterra / Vail duopoly?
I certainly would echo your sentiment! A few of these ski areas have partnership agreements with a place like Monarch on the side already. Powder Alliance makes far more sense as an established brand and existing conglomerate.

The appeal might stand with somebody that skis an independent in the East or Midwest and wants a similar size and vibe on a tribe to the West.

Without the major name recognition to drive interest, what you might expect to help would be to have multiple options close to one another. The only thing that might be kind of close is Mission Ridge and White Pass...but even that is a stretch.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
IndyPass representation of Indy Resorts: 4/10.
Powder Alliance representation of Indy Resorts: 8/10.
My understanding is that Powder Alliance is structured so that any existing member can veto a new entrant. And I expect that most of the areas announced so far for the IndyPass have been vetoed/blackballed in the past. Most of these ski areas are worried about losing season pass sales to competitors with whom they have an exchange as well as locals who choose the multipass instead of a local pass.

Without the major name recognition to drive interest, what you might expect to help would be to have multiple options close to one another. The only thing that might be kind of close is Mission Ridge and White Pass...but even that is a stretch.
Shasta & Ashland are less than 2 hours apart.
Silver Mountain and 49° North are both easy day trips from Spokane or Coeur d'Alene. Closer to one another and a better vacation destination than Mission Ridge/White Pass.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Who knows if this will work out, but it works for me.

For $200 I can ski a few days at 49 Degrees North and Brundage (and McCall is on the list of retirement locations).

Two areas that are not THAT far away, and that I've been talking about skiing for decades.

If I buy the pass, it will kind of force the issue!

So, by my count, they are up to N=1. :D

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Who knows if this will work out, but it works for me.

For $200 I can ski a few days at 49 Degrees North and Brundage (and McCall is on the list of retirement locations).

Two areas that are not THAT far away, and that I've been talking about skiing for decades.

If I buy the pass, it will kind of force the issue!

So, by my count, they are up to N=1. :D
I bet this could work for @Pete in Idaho as well.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I could see getting one of those. Brundage is one my favorite medium/small resorts, I could see starting there and then up to Silver, 49, and stop at Mission or White Pass on the way back. Later a weekend trip to Apex.

Honestly what I’d like to see is a pass that covers all the Spokane area (Silver, Schweitzer, 49, Mt Spokane and Lookout) resorts, plus Red and Whitewater. And/or a BC pass that includes all the Okanagan resorts (Apex, Silver Star, Big White, Sun Peaks) and maybe Red and Whitewater as well.

But I digress....I hope this Indy Pass works out for the resorts as well as skiers.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
From @Doug Fish comments in the other thread, he was looking for something that could be a revenue source for the resorts as opposed to the Powder Alliance that's just a reciprocity agreement. I too would love to see Powder Alliance grow and add some Eastern and Midwestern resorts to compete with the Borg/Borg Lite options of EPIC/IKON, and I fear that this might dilute that possibility a bit.

That said, while my Loveland Pass gets me Powder Alliance as well as Red Lodge & Brundage, I could totally see myself buying one of these since Powder Alliance is lacking in WA now. Even combined with the LL pass, the cash outlay would be similar to the IKON base price.

Last edited:

marjoram_sage

newly addicted to skiing
Skier
They have a typo for Beaver Mountain Utah. It's listed as Beaver Creek, which certainly doesn't belong on this pass.

Great initiative. Hope they add more mountains in California.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Doug Fish

In the Trees
Skier
Thanks for all the comments here! I founded the Indy Pass to appeal to two types of skiers/riders: 1. casual (less than 6x per year) people who don't buy a season pass and 2. folks who want to travel and appreciate the value and experience that you get at an independent, small-to-mid-sized resort. So far we have 10 committed resorts in the West and our goal is to have a network of 50+ across North America. The Indy Pass is not just a marketing co-op but also a profit center for our partner resorts with 85% of revenue paid out based on redemption (similar to the (Mountain Collective).

I appreciate all the feedback here on the Pugski forum. You guys are recommenders and influencers and it's very helpful for us to read your comments as we fine tune a program that has never been offered at this price point. If you know of a small-to-mid-sized resort that would be a good fit for the Indy Pass, please encourage them to look into it or contact me at info@indyskipass.com. We will be posting updates to the pass on our website indyskipass.com and social media pages and you can sign up for alerts as we add new resorts. The pass will go on sale September 1 for $199 and will allow two days free at each participating resort. Resorts have the option to offer unlimited, holiday restricted or mid-week only access -- to be determined by each resort as we get closer to launch. Cheers and pray for powder!

IP_LOGO_COLOR.png

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Really need Lost Trails added, for the ultimate road trip from Hood River:

Brundage - Lost Trails - Silver Mountain - 49 Degrees North

Heck, let's throw Anthony Lakes in there, too, if a guy can dream!

Sponsor