• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Incongruous Ads on PugSki

James

Out There
Instructor
What really impressed me is how they get that cow down into the basement. Those basement stairs are narrow and steep. Certainly don't want to be the dude on the bottom leading the cow down the stairs.
You have to pick your time too. It's a crowded street.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
F2002F43-0395-4DFE-9001-8FDD52E63454.png
Not sure if incongruous.
Not sure if (in)appropriate.
Not sure what on earth this is.
Not gonna click to find out.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It is a vaping pen.
One of CDC's current favorite studies.

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You did say you wanted fresh. Didn't ya?

What really impressed me is how they get that cow down into the basement. Those basement stairs are narrow and steep. Certainly don't want to be the dude on the bottom leading the cow down the stairs.

veal ... or let em grow to size!

calf.jpeg

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
...and you have a boat :D Did you ever look at PFDs or rescue gear or water clothing online?
Nope. We have all that. We live in Big Bear LAKE so we are on the water a lot in summer. Ironically, we bought the Kayak because our speed boat bit the dust and we’re holding off on buying a new one for a couple of years. We were towed by Lake patrol which offers it as a “free” service paid for by our annual lake registration. There is no way the interwebs could know any of that though.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nope. We have all that. We live in Big Bear LAKE so we are on the water a lot in summer. Ironically, we bought the Kayak because our speed boat bit the dust and we’re holding off on buying a new one for a couple of years. We were towed by Lake patrol which offers it as a “free” service paid for by our annual lake registration. There is no way the interwebs could know any of that though.
They know now . . . lol.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
At least I haven’t gotten ads for these.

upload_2019-9-18_15-44-41.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-18_15-44-48.jpeg
    upload_2019-9-18_15-44-48.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Ohhhh, my car is registered and I get offers from dealerships.

I know one would have to marry up an IP address to a registration but technology is great if one buys data.

Any items bought for your boat may be sufficient too.

James

Out There
Instructor
I know one would have to marry up an IP address to a registration but technology is great if one buys data.

I recently looked at an auto parts site. One of the choices besides inputting your VIN number to match parts was inputting your license plate. Never seen that.

So, it's about here.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
I had an incongruous incident at this website yesterday when I saw an ad for “bras for women over 50.”

No screenshot of the gals happily gathered to show off the goods because I clicked away as fast as I possibly could.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
If one is viewing Pugski from a location where others are also using the same network, might one see ads related to what the others are viewing? Likewise, might they be seeing skiing related ads, even though they aren't skiers? When I'm viewing Pugski from different locations, I get a different set of ads, even though I browse the same sites from each location. When at home, if I turn off an ad I'm not interested in, I never see it again, but in other places, ads that I try to turn off keep coming back anyway. I came to believe it was because others are going to places that bring those ads back to the common network that everyone uses.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yes. I mentioned above that the ad placement service does not distinguish between two devices on the same router.

The way to contaminate Location 2 with ads from Location 1 is to keep a device on both routers logged into the same Gmail/Facebook/Instagram account. Very easy to do with TVs, for example. So herself goes off VPN at home and shops for something -> TV is logged into FB and YouTube -> I see ads on my phone the moment I use an app instead of a blocking browser.

What's absolutely amazing is how many third party apps instantly grab your FB/Instagram/Gmail login info without asking. I'm looking at you, Pandora!

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online